Bilateral TKR Eva41 on the Road to Recovery in Las Vegas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Day nine post BTKR. I had my first post op appointment yesterday. The incisions are healing nicely. They won't take the staples out until next Wednesday. Physical therapy comes to my house 3 days a week. 9 days out and I'm at 90 degrees on right and 78 on left knee. The left knee definitely feels stiffer and gets more attention than the right. I've felt discomfort but never any out right excruciating pain with the sessions.
The hardest part of this whole healing process has got to be the nights. I'm not used to sleeping on my back and finding a comfortable position is always a challenge. I take 2 OxyContin at night but didn't think they were helping so I stopped them last night only to wake up to pain that I couldn't get on top of for almost an hour. Soooo, maybe they are helping to get me threw the night. Percosets get me through the day.
I'm spending about 8 hours a day on the ice machines. I can't imagine getting through the healing process without them. My husband freezes the small water bottles and rotates them in and out.
I also can't imagine going through this whole process without the support of my amazing husband. Never in the 37 years of our marriage have I ever seen such compassion and dedication to my recovery. He was an Air Force Fighter Pilot for 27 years and this kind of behavior is so from his normal persona. All I can say is, I'm loving this "Top Gun" dedication and I am truly blessed to have him in my life. I'm sure we are all appreciative of the help our care givers are giving us.
I'll be in touch as the journey continues. Healing thoughts to everyone!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Your husband sounds like mine. He isn't a warm fuzzy person but he has taken really good care of me. I don't know how I would have done it without him. Really good ROM for only 9 days. Congratulations!
 
Great report, @Eva41 . Keep up the excellent progress.:egypdance:I'm two surgical days behind you and it seems we are progressing similarly. My right is better than my left, too. Wish I had gotten an ice machine. I thought the homemade ice packs would be enough.They work but only for short periods and take long to refreeze. Anyway sounds like you are doing GREAT. :bow: Keep posting when you have time and energy.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Eva41 on the Road to Recovery in Las Vegas
never underestimate the healing power of a shower, a little make-up and a smile! 10 days out and I'm loving my knew knees! Happy Friday everyone!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Hi, Eva. Excellent ROM so soon! But, with excellent ROM comes the desire to over do things - remind yourself all the time this is a marathon, not a race - and follow the activity levels article found in the library. I totally agree - a shower and hair/makeup can totally make your day right now! :)
 
@Eva41 ......Glad you got your shower...a little make up and a great smile!! How true it is ......to make one feel better!!!! It's good to see you smiling! :flwrysmile:

The hardest part of this whole healing process has got to be the nights. I'm not used to sleeping on my back and finding a comfortable position is always a challenge.

Boy Eva!! That was ME I could NOT handle sleeping on my back either...but HAD too!! Now I can sleep on my back without any problem! Hang in there it is only going to get easier! :yes:
 
3 weeks post op and I'm doing pretty good. In home PT is coming 3 days a week. right leg at 106 , left leg 90. Left leg feels stiffer and is still swollen so I'm not too worried about it.
I would however love to have a decent nights sleep. It's so difficult to find a comfortable position. I sleep in 2-3 hour blocks, wake up, walk around to try and find a more comfortable location. And then do it all over again all night.... So tired!
Recliner doesn't work but the pillows seem to help. I know it's just going to take time and I have plenty of that. I do grab naps during the day. ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Last edited by a moderator:
[Bonesmart.org] Eva41 on the Road to Recovery in Las Vegas
Welcome to the Sleepless Nights Club, @Eva41. Unfortunately, it's just a fact of life when you're recovering from BTKR. So you just have to take sleep where and when you can find it. Lots of cat naps off and on all day helps. For me the recliner was a life saver---I watched and slept through a lot of mind numbing TV for the first 3 to 4 months. Just have to keep telling yourself that this too shall pass.


ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING!

I really like this, Eva, and I concur wholeheartedly. Being positive throughout this recovery makes it much easier to get through. Keep track of all the "little" milestones along the way; they really help to bring out and remember when there's a rough patch. This recovery takes a lot of TIME & PATIENCE, and it's important to remember how far we've come and not get bogged down in how far we have to go.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
Thank you @bottomshollow for the encouraging words. The sleeping issues I know will get better as the knees get better. I'm catnapping during the day and sleeping at night when I can.
PT came today. We worked those babies pretty good. Never off the chair pain but enough that it was uncomfortable.
Left knee @ -4/100 right knee @ -4/115.
I see my OS on Friday and I'm pretty sure he'll release me to out patient therapy.

I'm still very motivated but when I do get a bit down, I go to my visual "Happy Place." We have a summer place by Yellowstone National Park and I envision myself hiking the beautiful hills and sitting on our deck looking at the mountains of Montana. I won't be able to get there until June this year so I'm working very hard to get better to be able to enjoy every minute of my time when I'm up there. Everyone needs a "Happy Place!"


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
[Bonesmart.org] Eva41 on the Road to Recovery in Las Vegas
@Eva41, Would you please put your surgery date in your signature, as well as what surgery you had (i.e., LTKR, RTHR) like the rest of us do? You can find the instructions here: How to create a signature.

This information is very helpful when answering your questions and concerns. But please also remember that our membership is international and for clarity use the International Date system being Jan. 10, 2014 or 10 Jan. 2014 rather than 1/10/14 or 10/1/14. Thanks so much for your cooperation.
 
Hi all, I'm 3 1/2 weeks post op with my BTKR. I am one of those really lucky people who are just breezing through recovery. My ROM is good and I'm taking no pain medication during the day.
Sleep is still a work in progress but my OS prescribed me Ambien to get through the sleeping hump. All is well in my world when it comes to my knees!
BUT......I went into the surgery with idiopathic peripheral neuropathy in my toes and balls of my feet. (Not diabetic) Numbing and very mild tingling. I've had it since 2007. I've managed it very well with lifestyle changes and shoe selections. It has never progressed and up until last week, just an annoyance.
At 2 weeks post op, I noticed my feet had an INTENSE burning especially during PT. It has progressively gotten worse to the point i was in tears last night. I have never cried once with my knees but this relentless burning stinging is very much impacting my recovery. I just can't figure out why I'm having this "flare-up." Could it possibly be from the trauma of the surgery? PT? the femoral block?. Anyone else dealing with sensory peripheral neuropathy?


BTKR 1 April 2014
 
Hi Eva41. I also have peripheral neuropathy from a pinched pereonal nerve which I have had for many years. I do think it is probably your nerves awakening as burning pain describes my feet!. My neurologist has had me on gabapentin for several years as well as a muscle relaxer. I also have bad osteoarthritis in my big toes which I believe is called hallux rigidis. I would see my neurologist or GP as they can determine the cause and help you with medication or even refer you to a foot specialist.

The first thing though is are you wearing new shoes? Many of us find after tkr we need new shoes as we are walking different and hopefully better. The old shoes however can cause pain! I ended up throwing all my shoes out and wearing a new pair of comfy Clark's which have helped tremendously!

I do hope you find relief and welcome to Bonesmart!


RTKR - 9th December, 2013
 
@Jozilla, thank you for your post. The "awakening" of the nerves is exactly what it is. I wish they would go back to sleep! I can't take the drugs for nerve pain, just too many side effects. I have never considered the shoe angle. Most of my shoes are still too tight to wear. I have resorted to wearing a clog style (merrell) shoe. I should indeed invest in a new pair of shoes as I am relearning to walk the proper way. Good insight. Thanks again!


BTKR 1 April 2014
 
Last edited by a moderator:
When I was young, we lived in Bozeman and took all our family reunion vacations in Yellowstone, @Eva41 . I hope to get to Montana in June, too...just haven't figured out how yet. Sounds like you continue to do well, feet notwithstanding. I second the idea of new shoes. I'm only wearing a pair most recently purchased and not too worn until I can get some proper replacements.
 
I waited 3 1/2 weeks and couldn't stand the talons any longer. It was a nice outing and now I'm rocking bright orange polish. Summer can't come soon enough!
[Bonesmart.org] Eva41 on the Road to Recovery in Las Vegas



BTKR 1 April 2014
 
Started walking the pool at the gym this weekend. 40 minutes of walking, lunges and squats. It was so relaxing and my knees cooperated with every move I attempted. Got another 40 minutes in tonight. I'm shooting for 3-4 days a week. Anyone else doing hydrotherapy?
PT came today.. Love her! So gentle. Left knee-107 right-113. 4 weeks post op tomorrow.


BTKR 1 April 2014
 
I got I a pedi over the weend and was scolded by my P.T


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Tamsmom really? What a meanie! It was so relaxing to have that pedicure. I would not have had it done if I wasn't able to bend my knees comfortably. Sometimes it's doing something little like having a pedicure that can make a difference in ones attitude. I'm glad I had it done.


BTKR 1 April 2014
 
[Bonesmart.org] Eva41 on the Road to Recovery in Las Vegas
im not using the walker any longer but when I did my female golden retriever was so attentive. She would walk slowly beside me and when I would sit, she would come through the front and put her head on my lap. She knew I was struggling and made sure I knew I was loved. I worried the dogs would be all over me but it was just the opposite. The male golden steered clear but my female was my mother hen. Anyone else have an animal that has helped with their recovery?


BTKR 1 April 2014
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom