THR Equestrian's recovery with Ehlers Danlos

It sometimes takes a few days for any bruising to appear. So don't be concerned if it does.

Are you taking any blood thinning medication? That can cause dizziness so please move slowly.

You are doing great!
 
That ice machine, will make such a difference! Don’t know, why I didn’t think of that, as we used something similar, on the racehorses, all the time. I bruise really easily too and it took a few days. By day 6, I was quite colourful! Hope your thigh pain gets better today :)
 
and no bruising at all(I bruise easily)

It may come, so don’t be surprised if it does. I don’t bruise that easily either, but woke to some faded looking bruising in the area surrounding my knee about 17 days post op. Kind of freaked me out as I wondered what the heck is going on?!! Given your signature, you have a history to gauge bruising on, so hopefully this recovery follows suit if little or no bruising has been a pattern for you.
Happy Saturday…I hope today is a good one!
 
The thigh swelling was what got my pain going there. Ice was definitely my friend then. Glad the appetite is coming back. Slow and easy, friend. You’re doing just fine.
 
You sound like you're doing well overall. I bruise easy, look at a doorway wrong and bam, giant bruise! :doh: For some reason after THR I didn't really have much, if any. My husband and I were both amazed. Keeping fingers crossed for you :fingersx:
 
@PolarIce

Your the one who is full of inspiration to share. As we look foreword to your healing journey.

Giddy Up… your trail is only healing and rehab…and a nice piece strawberry short cake to share with your beautiful kids waiting for you in the barn…
 
Yes! Good question, Moosehead. Checking…it looks like neither Polarice or a surgery buddy (same day) Giddsy1 have been on the forum since Saturday evening. Hopefully they’re both doing well and resting / sleeping comfortably.

Happy One Week Anniversary PolarIce! I hope all is going well for you. I recall making it to one week post op as my first milestone.
Take good care!
 
Morning my lovelies!
I’m so sorry for not posting an update the last few days. I have done nothing but eat, sleep, poop(thank you Metamucil!), repeat. I in fact just woke up from another 12 hr nap:heehee:

Man oh man that front of thigh pain has been something else. The last 3 or so days I started to feel well enough to go downstairs to sit with hubby making dinner(20 steps down and 20 steps going back up). Yesterday I did that 4 times and of course by the end my hip was saying swear words at me.

Waking up this morning and was expecting to pay the price off my mistakes(thank you for your amazing advice to take it easy by the way-it was a Godsent on making me behave and not feel as bad about it). As I woke up this morning, I miraculous woke up with literally 60% less pain than I have had daily! I cannot believe the difference!

im going to take it easy, because I want to baby this new miracle in this acute period of my recovery. I am 8 days post op today! Here are the notes I’ve been keeping on my phone.

Recovery

In hospital for just 24hrs. Night nurse helped me roll on my side the same day as surgery(Godsent). Did physio the next day and stairs to be able to come home. While in hospital(the first bathroom trip I almost fainted). The nurses said my lips turned blue, they carried me back and thru me on oxygen. They gave me a few liters of fluid but it didn’t help. Surgeon said that because of my joint Hypermobility it is very common to also have BP issues after going thru trauma(aka surgery). He said lots of rest is what I need, and the BP will return to normal over the next few days.

Hurt to cough, roll and move for the first 5 days. Day 1-3: Need assistance to swing legs off bed for bathroom and showers. Extremely low blood pressure like in hospital. Can barely make it to the bathroom and need to sit down with hubby supporting me to allow BP to come back up and not faint. Requiring a 5 mins break once in bathroom and immediately after we arrive in bed before I almost faint. Unable to sit up in bed for more than 15-20 mins before I start feeling “fainty” and go back to lying down. Able to roll on my side (non-operated side), but with assistance only.

Day 2at home:evening meal is the first time I was able to eat a proper sized meal. Have only been able to eat 1-2 forks full of food until now(each meal), because I just haven’t felt well and feel full after eating that low amount of food.

Day 3-Took first poop 3 days after surgery (wasn’t eating much).

Day 4-started to be able to reach over with my right arm(opposite arm from nightstand)and roll a little to grab meds off the bedside stand. Went down to 1 crutch. Able to roll on my side on my own now.

Day 5-Went downstairs for the first time 5 days after surgery. Managed to roll out of bed to go pee on my own without the assisted leg swing from hubs.

Day 6-did stairs once to kitchen again today. Sitting up is much better in regards to BP, but today felt very unwell. Slept most of the day.

Day 7-left the house for the first time. Went to get pizza (sat in the truck), and crutched into tack collector. Did stairs in the house 4 times plus the big flight of stairs of the front door. Still needing help swinging legs into the tub at shower time.

Day 8-waking up(after sleeping 12 hrs from yesterday), with literally 60% less pain than I usually have!!! LIKE WTH!!!!! How does this happen overnight?!

In bed now resting. May venture downstairs again later. I am still icing like crazy. The ice machine was a Godsent for pain management. I got very little bruising(and I mean next to none), and doing pretty well with all the swelling in my bum and thigh.

I am so grateful for all of you and your support and checking up on me.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Equestrian's recovery with Ehlers Danlos
    PolarIce (2).jpeg
    81.8 KB · Views: 133
Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you’re doing great! That nasty old thigh pain but glad it’s getting better. Be kind and patient to yourself and follow “the rules.” LOL. Three years out and I still regard this hip one of life’s miracles and am so grateful. Continued healing blessings coming your way! ❤️
 
Happy to hear you're feeling better, appetite coming back, BP getting under control, all systems seem to be working well, good progress. Continue to baby the hip, stay slow and steady! You are seriously making me jealous with your sleep! :heehee: :sleep:
 
@PolarIce
Glad to hear you’re doing well. I’m so envious of your ability to sleep!!! I would give just about anything for a solid 8 hours. Post both hips being done, I’ve felt like I sleep on the installment method. Sort of like naps strung together.

Food did not interest me at all in the beginning either but my dr was adamant about proper nutrition and its importance to recovery. Particularly protein. In “normal” times when I’m working out and doing alot of CrossFit, I’d typically eat ~90-100 grams of protein in a day. Now he wants me to use body weight as a benchmark….. 1 gram for every lb. So for me that’s means 135 grams to target each day.
I do love chicken, turkey and fish. But the thing that has helped the most in getting to that number is a great quality chocolate protein powder - the brand I like is Progenex. Dissolves easily, tastes great. I don’t do alot if dairy so use almond milk instead. If I don’t feel like getting the Vitamix out and making a massive smoothie with peanut butter etc, I just use othose large plastic shaker bottles. It’s truly like a giant glass of ice cold chocolate milk!

the other thing I’ve sipped alot if is bone broth (chicken, I dont care for the beef). It’s good for your gut, muscle building and all sorts of good things. If I really want to punch it up, I add tiny bit of coconut milk and some turmeric.

Glad to hear you’re feeling better!
 
Good progress Polarice every day is one step nearer to recovery. Glad you are improving every day with these steps.

keep it up.
 
Sounds like you’re doing well, PolarIce, after a rough start. The BP issue sounds a little frightening, thankfully it’s resolved and your able to remain upright. The sleep is amazing since our body does its best repair work then. At the rate you’re sleeping, you should be healed and ready to go in a week. :wink: Kidding..of course.
A great weekend to you!
@PolarIce
 
Finding a few more improvements daily! This morning we are driving to the movie theater! My second official putting since surgery.

I have a question in regards to leg length discrepancy. My left leg is very obviously off in length compared to what I had before. I’ve started to put more and more weight on that left hip as I start feeling better.

I do realize that your body adapts to length changes BUT let’s say it was a severe case of it? What could the consequences be? Do the joints get warm down quicker? Do I have to get surgery again? Can someone accommodate the change with physio?
 
Wondering if you’ve had a chance to read the article on Leg Length Differential from the BoneSmart Library? If not, check it out and see what you think.
I‘ve read here often that you should give it 3-4 months before you do anything. This allows time for everything to balance again. If you still have the feeling at that time you might want to see a physio or podiatrist who will measure you to confirm an LLD. Here's the article from our Library Leg length differential - LLD.
 
Thank you so much for the info. I will definitely go read this!
 
My doc tried to fix my leg length discrepancy. He did as best as he could. I’m still crooked . Yea my back gets wonky sometimes. But this new hip . Genius!!!!!!!!!!!
 
My doc tried to fix my leg length discrepancy. He did as best as he could. I’m still crooked . Yea my back gets wonky sometimes. But this new hip . Genius!!!!!!!!!!!
That helps alleviate some of my worries thank you. I knew I was a difficult case going in, and I think I rather try to deal with this complication(I’ll get that confirmed next week at follow up), than to not have had the surgery.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Back
Top Bottom