THR Equestrian's recovery with Ehlers Danlos

Nice to hear from you! Good to learn you're doing so well, PolarIce.
Enjoy your rides!
@PolarIce
 
I had a THR on the left side 2.5 yrs ago. The procedure went incredibly well(had a dual mobility joint put in)and I was clear to go back to normal activities.

Fast forward to the last month or so, and I am unable to walk on uneven terrain at the off leash dog park(a full lap is roughly a mile). I barely make it halfway before I get pain around the new hip which radiates down into my thigh.

I did deliver a baby via c-section 10 months ago in case maybe that has to do anything with it(as I've been told it can take up to 2 yrs for your body to really return to the new normal).

I will make sure to search the forums for similar topics that have been posted.

What kind of experience have you had with this?
 
Some relevant info: during pregnancy hormones from the placenta soften the pelvic ligaments, resulting in movement between the bones of the pelvis; they rotate outwards and there's some pelvic instability.
That might change the relationship between the socket and the femur?

The good news is that from research I've looked up there's no increase in revision rates...
From a survey of existing studies on PubMed
"Women who have a total hip replacement and later experience pregnancy and childbirth have no increased risk of pregnancy complications or increased revision rates; there was no effect of the mode of delivery on revision rates or complications including fracture, dislocation, or loosening, according to the limited studies available."

I recommend conferring with both your ob-gyn and your ortho surgeon about this. The ortho will likely want to take x-rays.
 
Thank you so much for your reply. The is one thing that sat on my mind as if its possible it could be part of the issue. Thank you for taking the time to reply.
 
I think mendogal’s advice to confer with your doctors is a good one. If there was loosening, an x-ray would show it. Usually the pain from loosening is more constant than what you’re describing, so I think this is a positive sign that it could be related to your recent pregnancy.
 
Thank you so much for your thoughts on this. When something new happens you have never felt before, it's hard to know where to go with it. Thanks for your input ladies.
 
I have found myself having a lot of unexplained pain in the groin and I could not figure out what to make of it. I followed up with the surgeon who said that it was a psoas tendon rupture. Now what he told me was that it is not something you can fix AND injections would make it even weaker. I am 3 yrs post THR on that side. The pain I have had for over 6 months now.

Has anyone had this injury? how did you manage the pain? what were you told for recovery?
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom