THR Equestrian's recovery with Ehlers Danlos

@PolarIce hope you're resting comfortably, we'll be here when you're feeling up to an update. :friends: :flwrysmile:
 
Evening my lovelies!

Surgery was really tricky the surgeon said. Because of the PAO hip reconstructions I’ve had, the shape and anatomy of my pelvis is q bit different than most, and it was more tricky for the surgeon and his assistant to place the implants and figure out my leg length. A little nervous about that now, but time will tell if there is a significant difference(if any). He did say he couldn’t make the leg shorter, or I would be dislocating.

Attempted a bathroom trip, but my blood pressure dropped and I almost fainted. The nurses caught me avoiding injury-OOPS. I still have a ridiculously low blood pressure and they are trying to get a hold of the surgeon, to see if they can give me a bolus of fluid.

During my walk to the bathroom, the hip pain itself was gone other than the normal incisional pain. What did cause some soreness, was upper leg, mid leg on the front part discomfort.

Alive and well otherwise! Had the best carrot cake on the dinner tray!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Yikes! So glad you are ok. Hope they were able to get ahold of the surgeon and get your blood pressure back up. Wishing you a peaceful and restful night:)
 
Hey there @PolarIce
It’s great to hear from you! Thanks for updating. We heard from Giddsy1 earlier and it’s nice to know you’re both out of surgery. Hopefully your low BP resolves soon, your pain is well managed and you’re able to rest easy. Wishing you lots of comfort as you begin healing.
 
You look great after such a tough surgery. Low blood pressure is not fun. My doc gave me a blood transfusion I was so pale and could hardly stand. We give our own blood weeks before surgery if needed, it helped a lot.
Sending good vibes your way ….you will put up a fight for recovery and to get back on your horse. Even just knowing they are out in the barn helps they send you happy horse Winnie’s to inspire your recovery.
 
You thought there might be pictures and you delivered! I’m glad no one took my picture (not that I would have let them) because I would be totally humbled next to yours! Lol.

Just wanted you to know we’re thinking of you. I hope your blood pressure is better today and I’m so glad your doctor had you stay in the hospital. Wise man. Today will be a busy, tiring day for you. Take it a little bit at a time.:friends:
 
Awww you guys are so wonderful! So grateful for all the love and support.

24 hrs since surgery took place, and I’m not feeling super hot. Blood pressure is still low and barely managing bathroom trips. The doc said it’s because of my hypermobility. My system will have a hard time maintaining a blood pressure, because my circulatory system is a little messed up and can’t hold pressures as well as normal people after I’ve had a lot of medication. I’ll need to take it easy.

During the night the amazing nurse covering my room, showed me and helped me roll on my right side. After spending the day yesterday on my back, I was starting to have some lower back pain. Being able to roll on my right side was incredible. I finally fell asleep for 1.5hrs.

Physio is coming in at 10am. Hopefully I’ll be well enough to do stairs, and then I can go home.
 
Wow, quite the past 24 hours! It's 7 weeks for me now and it feels like a lifetime ago I was laid up trying to sleep. I'm not rubbing it in, just saying that assuming you have a normal-ish recovery, soon this will all be a distant memory as you are able to get around without all the canes and crutches. But no need to rush, as you well know. Take your time, and time will take care of you. Best wishes and hope your BP starts to calm down!
 
Easy does it @PolarIce ! Don't feel rushed to move too quickly. We don't want any falls!
 
Hi @PolarIce good to see you on the recovery side.
I hope everything goes well for you in your recover and you are back in the saddle soon.
You look a lot better than how I looked when I came out of my operation. You are like a Disney princess where as I looked like a troll from under a bridge only a lot worse.:heehee:
That’s good that you may get home today and you can begin your recovery in comfort.
Take care and look after yourself.
 
@PolarIce good to see you and agree you look fantastic! Hoping you have already been released and our safe at home resting comfortably.
 
PI! Best wishes for getting home soon, healing fast, being pain free, and getting back after it.
 
Hey you will get there ! I help with blood pressure! I have white coat syndrome!! Mine goes up up up when the cuff goes on on on in a medical setting!!:)) You need some systolic and dystolic mmg:)))? Feel better!!
 
Glad to see you on the Healing Side :happydance:

Hope BP evens out soon.... All Temporary friend.
Healing Mojo coming your way.:flwrysmile:
 
You guys make me smile. I was able to do the first small physio exercises(not for the faint of heart I must add OUCH), and passed the stairs which I found was the easiest.



Below is a photo of me being discharged yesterday at noon. Family is not allowed on the units, so they take you up to the unit entrance and off to the wild you go.



BP issue is still something I have to be super cautious off, as it keeps rearing it’s ugly head.

We stopped at the pharmacy on the way home, fast food because I was starving. Once we got home I took a shower with hubby and went straight to bed.Been running the ice machine on and off non-stop. What a godsent this thing is.
Slept for 11 hrs with breaks in there to go pee and take more pain meds.

i admire anyone who did 2 at once!
 
Yay! You’re home now. Just as Dorothy said…there’s no place like home!
I hope your BP issue resolves soon, your pain is well managed and you’re resting comfortably. Eleven hours sleep, even including breaks is wonderful. I wish you comfort and some cozy naps today. Take good care!
@PolarIce
 
@PolarIce so glad you're home! Wow, 11 hours even with breaks is amazing! :sleep: Wishing you a comfortable day, hope the BP gets under control and you get more wonderful, healing sleep tonight. :egypdance:
 
Welcome home! Isn't it crazy how the BP reacts? I had issues with it with both hips, the right hip was the worst and I have high blood pressure usually.

They had me go off my blood pressure medications and if my memory serves me right it was around 4 weeks before I needed to resume it.

If I read it correctly, I was surprised to see it can be attributed to hypermobility.. very interesting..

Rest well...:ice:
 
You guys are truly an inspiration, because the amount of thigh pain I’ve had(only painful place), has been a little nuts. Taking pain meds every 4 hrs, bathroom trips are the only time I move, and ICE ICE ICE. I will get hubby to take photos because the leg looks amazing. A little swollen but hardly what I was expecting and no bruising at all(I bruise easily).

The reconstructions felt nowhere near as painful as the replacement.

As every half day goes by, I look for the small victories like seeing the pain decrease a little bit more all the time, being able to get myself in and out of bed, or roll over to different positions when I’m sleeping(no way I could have done that when I first got home).

02:30am here, so hubby helped me go over to the bathroom, refill the ice machine(even eating some left overs from delicious homemade food family made for us). It wasn’t until lunch time yesterday, that I felt well enough to eat a proper meal.
 
Last edited:

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom