Guest viewing is limited

THR Equestrian's journey to a new hip with hEDS

@PolarIce My experience was that hips go from tolerable to horrid very quickly. I too was on an elbow crutch for 6 months pre-op my LTHR.

Please don't try and do any workouts that impact that hip. I tried to ignore it all and went to the gym several times per week. My hip collapsed it was so bad. Believe me, you don't want that pain.

Baby that hip for now! Upper body work is useful. Having the strength in your arms to easily push up from a seated position is very helpful just post op.
Thank you so much for your reply! That hip is very unstable right now, so my mind set was to try to push through it to attempt to keep it strong, but reading your post makes me realize that you're right. Super grateful for your post <3
 
Yes, please learn from my big mistake! A collapsed hip meant not only pain. It also resulted in a longer, more complicated recovery.

Do you feel any grinding sensation when you walk or lift your leg?
 
Yes, please learn from my big mistake! A collapsed hip meant not only pain. It also resulted in a longer, more complicated recovery.

Do you feel any grinding sensation when you walk or lift your leg?
I do feel some minor grinding, but what I also feel is a really sharp pain when I walk. Labral detachment and tears(to go along with the arthritis). What the exams came up with as well when they did injections, was some bone chips loose in the joint-so I'm not sure if that's where the grinding feeling is coming from.

I wanted to do a list of my current symptoms, so I had something to go back on later after I have the new joint. I can't imagine I would ever forget these symptoms, because I have suffered with them for so long-but maybe a good idea to record nonetheless.

-Unable to walk for more than 10 mins.
-Unable to lift anything over 10lbs or so pounds before I have extreme pain in the hip joint.
-Major pain with stairs.
-General aching in that left bum cheek(about 75% of the time that won't go away).
-Sudden sharp pains when walking, or any amount of small rotation to that bad hip).
-When in bed lying down, major pain when foot drops to the outside, sometimes just rolling in bed causes that same pain.
-Unable to ride horses anymore due to pain(I ride and train horses competitively).
-Joint pain in the joint itself, or lower back when sitting for extended periods of tim(work, car rides).
-Hip pain for 2-3 days if I accidently overdo it(ex: I was doing simple cleaning in the house the other day. I really suffered the next few days afterwards).
-Joint stiffness.
-The pain keeps up at night or wakes me up(even after taking meds).
-Unable to balance/and or fully weightbare on that bad hip.
-General feeling of hip instability. I feel like I can't trust my hip because that sharp pain is so sudden and so severe in the most simple movements. Feels as though the joint isalmost slipping out of the socket and slides right back in-pain +++
-Did Monovisc and Duralane injections for the last 2 yrs.
-You can hear clicking and popping in the joint.
-I've become short tempered pretty much all the time. My tolerance for things has really gown down, as I have tried to fight off depression. I've broken down countless times(and literally sat on the floor and started crying)when trying to do simple every day living activities, and I am unable to do so because of pain, or have to stop halfway through.
-Don't have issues putting socks or shoes on, but I have hypermobility.
 
@PolarIce Your symptoms sound all too familiar. Just proof you need to baby that hip for now. The good news is all this will be gone once you have your op!
 
@PolarIce Your symptoms sound all too familiar. Just proof you need to baby that hip for now. The good news is all this will be gone once you have your op!
I am counting down the days until it happens. I am so so happy to be able to get a new hip. I suffered for a long time, because I was considered too young. I am so relieved that now it is finally being done. It's been a really rough journey. Thank you for all the support. To know that there are other people out there to get through that journey, really means a lot.
 
Hello Polarice,

I wanted to introduce myself and share my story with you as a fellow horse rider and both hips had THR surgery,especially after reading thru your story. This is a bit long and all positive.
First it is possible to wear a hip/groin support and will save a lot of energy and struggling at this stage of hip pain and help take the pressure off the annoying buttock pain. Using a crutch or cane seen in your pic is a excellent way to prevent falling and balance issues.
The following is my experience after the first hip surgery , finding techniques and modifications with hip support while continuing to ride horses. Become ‘Mindful’ of the circumstances by making a good plan ahead of activities and making safe decisions.
When riding my Tenn walker he is dependable well trained and disciplined. I also wear a hip support, and wore them before and after hip replacements . It helps keep my hip comfortable without constantly tightening muscles, and thinking about the buttock and leg squeezes for control and positioning when controlling a1800 pound horse.
Maybe when your in a better place, a year after hip replacement , when healing and conditioning is complete you could think about a gated horse that is not bouncy. Assuming the current one was a bouncy ride compared to a smooth gated horse. Of course it all depends on if you wish to ride again. Switching to a horse with a longer distance from front to rear, a breed with a smoother gate and well trained, dependable could put you back in the saddle.
Before my first hip surgery I had high energy bouncy Arabians with a short wheel span. I switched to a Tenn. walker . Made a big difference with a comfortable ride. Also pole riding is easier on hips, a (eastern discipline). My first surgeon no kidding, bred Friesion horses. He was very helpful with guidance toward riding techniques on smooth gated horse breeds and techniques. In my late 40’s when my hip was diagnosed with severe osteoarthritis. Tenn walkers have a easy glide, seat and gate. Now in my 70’s and still in the saddle.
Eventually this could be something you could consider when you pass thru your surgery healing journey. In time when your healed have no risk of injury, stronger and feel confident and in good shape with a well trained horse it is possible . I have had 3 hip replacements and one hip is 24 years old and still riding.
With the duel prosthetics you will adjust to new hips and also understand there are always new limitations associated with the THR and how to take care of them long term.
Also in my case wearing a hip support while walking and waiting for surgery it’s a lot less painful and less exhausting. The hip support removes a lot of pressure from the back and buttock. It‘s light weight, some with velcro fasteners or easy slip on styles. They are many styles online .Some are referred to as groin/hip supports. In my case the supports have given me the freedom before hip surgery and to walk,sleep, and manouver without fear of collapse or dislocation.
Sending healing blessing your way and that you receive all that you need to stain you thru your journey.
 
Last edited:
Thank you so much @Hippielife. We own Canadian Horses which is an endangered horse breed, and we are very involved locally with PR and education of the breed. Switching to a gaited breed isn't something I would want to do at this time, though I 100% believe you when you say it's a much smoother ride and this may be something I consider in a few years. Thank you so much for bringing that up.
I have never thought of a hip brace. I will have to do some research on that. It sounds like it could be something really beneficial while I wait for surgery. Part of my problem is the hip feels very unstable right now, so anything that may provide support sounds like a win win to me. Doesn't hurt to try it anyways. Thank you so much for your suggestion. Thank you for the response and the support on this. It's always fantastic to hear what the recovery was like from a fellow rider.
 
I started prepping equipment for surgery. I unfortunately have a fused left wrist, so I am unable to use walkers or regular crutches, because I am unable to bend my wrist and use the palm of my hand to lean on(like you would when using crutches). I will be using an elbow crutch on one side, and forearm attachment on the left. The attachment for my forearm was ridiculously expensive, so I saved it when I had my PAO's in case I would ever have surgery again. Glad I did.
https://bonesmart.org/forum/[img]ht...8-D-B8-B3-40-C5-BD2-C-8389-BC803013.jpg[/img]
 
So impressed with your support for endangered horses And how well you have adjusted. It’s a difficult journey and many of us have been there and totally understand the strength it takes to get thru the difficulties faced daily. Stay focused on getting better and healing . After surgery you will have a better quality of life, something to look foreword to.
 
@PolarIce
below is the article to include how we can maintain the things we enjoy after hip surgery.
Thinking of you and keep us posted , hope you are doing well.

Adjusting to activities after hip joint replacement as we age…
 
Oh, you have been through a lot! I’m so glad the surgery date is within sight. 2/2/2022. A pretty cool date, to boot. Remember you’re not alone. I recall those last few weeks before surgery. I tried to stay active but there came a time my hip just couldn’t do it anymore without causing me agony. I cried every day after working I hurt so bad. My company wouldn’t allow me to use an assitive device without taking leave so my manager allowed me to use a supply cart to help me get around. I had to ask someone to help take off my shoe when I got home. Nights were a nightmare. But I found it easier to endure with having a date that would lead to healing. That’s what you do: you endure because that’s what you know you have to do to get back to your life.

You’re right. It probably will be easier to deal with the surgery and recovery when you’ve been through what you have been already. We’ll be right here with you to help get you there. Let us know how we can help. Blessings of strength and comfort to you in the interim.
 
I am so overwhelmed with emotion this morning reading your posts. The amount of gratefulness I feel for all of you is beyond what words can explain. I am so grateful for the ability we have to connect with perfect strangers thousands of miles away, yet have it feel like you are all very close friends. I could never repay any of you for the love and care I feel.

@Hip4life I could not imagine what you went through at work. I cannot believe that it is even legal for anyone to be this ignorant. If you're doing your job, I don't see how that would have affected anyone to allow you to get around in any way you see fit. Some workplaces are just awful. I am very lucky in that the company I work for(this far anyways), has been so supportive. They provided me with a parking spot right in front of the door, allow me to maneuver with my elbow crutch and even provided me a kneeling chair to help with relieving some discomfort.

I did let work know yesterday, that I will require 2 weeks quarantine before surgery to help minimize my exposure to potential sick people which can in turn have me test positive with covid the day of surgery. My workplace is completely set up to work from home if needed, so I am blessed that way.

I had my pre-op morning clinic to learn the ins and outs of surgery and post recovery. I was given some scrubs I need to use the 3 days before surgery as well. Luckily all the equipment I had ordered online also arrived yesterday(thank you to everyone for your recommendations). I was able to order a Hip Kit off of amazon for the same cost it would have cost me to rent them. I will donate it all once I am done.
 
BAAHAAHAAHAHAA I will say I was quite bored. I'm glad they have these classes tho for people who have never had surgery or any type of ortho trauma. I was the only young person there, which made things a little odd. I got so many looks from the other patients there because they were all over their 80's and I think they were shocked to see me in the class LOL. I did come out of class with an ice machine, which I'm quite excited about!
 
I am so grateful for the ability we have to connect with perfect strangers thousands of miles away, yet have it feel like you are all very close friends.

I get it! BoneSmart had me hooked after my first post on the eve of my surgery in a pretty anxious state. I reached out and was quickly comforted by several ppl, of which there were two members from across the pond, one in Scotland and the other in Ireland! Needless to say I was not only surprised, but felt an instant camaraderie and a sense of trust with a group of perfect strangers as you so aptly referred to us. After all, no one understands all of the emotional ups and downs better than those that have “been there, done that”.
I could never repay any of you for the love and care I feel.
You‘re doing so already by sharing your story here for others to use as encouragement while on their journey. Also, the support you’re giving others is a blessing to them. I hope the month flies by. You’ll soon be on the bright side!! :SUNsmile:
 
Now…about that poor woman with the red umbrella, balancing on a rope over the open mouth of a croc? :yikes: :heehee:
 
Now…about that poor woman with the red umbrella, balancing on a rope over the open mouth of a croc? :yikes: :heehee:
BAAAHAAHAAHAHA! That's from Disney Haunted Mansion. I am a major Disney geek and that is one of my favourite rides. The decor in the photo is all themed on that ride LOL!! I promise I am not some sort of witch or odd ball(well I am but not in that way) LOL!
 
Funny! Let me reassure you, I didn’t view you as a witch of any sort, lol.
I love the ride also. That and Pirates of the Caribbean. My two faves.
Hope your day is a good one!
 
Funny! Let me reassure you, I didn’t view you as a witch of any sort, lol.
I love the ride also. That and Pirates of the Caribbean. My two faves.
Hope your day is a good one!
Yes!!!! solid tie for me between those 2 rides!
 
While we’re on this “off topic” topic :wink:
One day while bored with your recovery, look up a YT video on Lights Turned On, stuck on Pirates of the Caribbean breakdown / evacuation.
I found it pretty interesting since you can’t help but wonder what it all looks like with the lights on, while floating in the dark abyss.
Let’s categorize this idea under Things To Do While Recovering From Hip Surgery. :heehee:
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Members online

Back
Top Bottom