Guest viewing is limited

THR Equestrian's journey to a new hip with hEDS

Yes!!! I've done that already. Have you seen what Indiana Jones looks like with the lights on?! that's another really cool one!! #disneygeeksunite.

Going back on topic, I just scanned in the recovery handout they game me. Has a lot of awesome information on it. Of course always make sure to follow YOUR surgeon's advice and instructions for recovery-but if this is helpful to anyone, feel free to use or print this off.
 
That’s a pretty detailed chart! It really brings things into focus and delights us people who like lists to keep us on track. Lol. It all looks pretty familiar with the normal expected variations.
I appreciate your sentiments about the workplace. I was a bit puzzled by the policy but not necessarily surprised because of it being a smaller, private healthcare entity. Luckily, I had a wonderful manager who worked with me literally every step of the way, especially in recovery. That took longer than expected and when I finally was ready, she let me phase back in which is almost unheard of in bedside healthcare. It just brought to light how inconsistent the workplace can be when it comes to policies dealing with a joint surgery. I hope your work experience will continue to be smooth. Full steam ahead!
 
What a "ride" this thread has been. I will tell you the first time I really knew my hips were screwed was at the end of a week-long honeymoon hiking trip (during which my hips really didn't bother me other than general soreness), my wife wanted to ride horses on our last day. I grew up riding and while not as accomplished as you, I've always enjoyed riding, but it had been probably 5 years since I was last on a horse. Anyway, we start out riding and I immediately notice that (due to my real stiffness in my hips) the spread of my legs around the horse (who wasn't exactly small) was causing real pain and about 10 mins in I was wincing at every bounce. Halfway through I had to beg for a rest and it took me about 2 mins to get my leg over the horse. It was that bad. Oh wait, it was even worse at the end of the ride when I had to get off again and my hips felt like they were on fire. My poor new wife was probably looking at me and wondering about an annulment!

In any event, it was all downhill from there and I had my left hip replaced a little over 3 weeks ago. My right one isn't great, but it's a lot better than the left was (for now). Still, can't compare to the pain and anguish you have been through. You should be so excited that in a few weeks that pain will be gone! I mean, you'll have some pain, but it will be like 10% of what you are going through now and the good news is that it will get better! Still, take it slow and listen to your body. Good luck!
 
baahahaha LOVE the pun! I can't imagine the pain you must have had! our 2 horses are a breed of horse that is 3/4 draft horse, so they are VERY wide horses. You would think I could have picked something a little less wide LOL. I trained both our horses to come to you when you are on the mounting block, and I trained them to stand when I am dismounting and literally leaning on them(in the fall when I was still pushing through and riding), I would get off of them by riding up to the wheelwell of the horse trailer, then lean on my horse to balance stepping off to the ground(which a lot of the time also involved me literally hanging off their neck). I looked like a drunken sailor LOL! seriously so grateful for our amazing horses to have the patience and tolerance to do all this.

I am honestly NOT anymore accomplished than any of you riders with hip issues. I just enjoy having some fun and doing pretty much anything. The photos(thank you for giving me the excuse to post photos of our horses LOL!), are all from last fall when I was still riding. The photos where we are wearing the royal blue were all during the last month of riding before I finally had to give it up.





When the day gets long and I find myself edging on depression, I go back to visit with the horses, who are happily doing nothing in their paddock LOL. Luckily we board the horses, so care isn't something I will need to stress over when I go into surgery.

Glad your wife looked passed the annulment LOL!!! you must have a charming personality to make up for the bad hips LOL!(I'm kidding, well kind of not). My right hip isn't great either!(surprised to read the similarities we have). It's way better than my left obviously, but it will also need replacing at some point-but I am hoping in a few years. Such a relief to hear about the great progress you've done already with your replacement! it's hard to find connections with other members who have ridden and can relate to that(not that hip pain is different to anyone else's-hip pain is hip pain).

Thank you so much for your post <3 Much love.
 
Last edited:
Last time my hip got me stuck on my horse, it took two men and a pickup truck to get me off. Don't ask.
I believe you!! I know how much I hurt at the end, to the point of tears. I hope you get better soon!❤️❤️
 
Got my surgery time tomorrow! I am the first case of the day and have to be at the hospital at 6am for a surgery time of 7am! woohoo! unfortunately I can no longer have someone with me, so I will see if I can post some kinky hospital gown photos before going in or not:heehee::rotfl:
 
That is awesome!! Wake up and gooooo!! Sorry your hubby can‘t come in, but so happy you don’t have to wait long. Hope tomorrow is just a blur and prayers for a quick recovery :)
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
Back
Top Bottom