Guest viewing is limited

TKR Ellejay's recovery threads, first and second

Oh @Nana moon 27 I was SO embarrassed, but I suppose it's for our own safety. Yes, @Legin, the flight itself was fine, I did stand up as often as I could, the other passengers must have thought I had a very weak bladder,I was forever walking up and down :heehee:. I have been on a two hour tour of old Stockholm all afternoon, I thought it was fascinating, but my knee didn't, it particularly didn't like the cobbled streets. It is very swollen and painful, so I'm back in the hotel with legs up the wall :sigh:.
I am meeting a friend tomorrow, I stayed with her in Sweden 50 years ago, we have written to each other but we haven't seen each other since, she is now 86. I am so excited, I am also meeting her son, who was 7 when I last saw him! I just hope he hasn't got a long walk planned.
Have a good weekend everyone xxx
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Aww that sounds so good these things we lock away in our memory for life. Good on you lass
 
Have a lovely break and at least you have a story to tell about the knees now. Glad they are improving. Mine is still a bit iffy but like yours, if I rest and ice, it improves. Just frustrating after my early successes.
 
My two knee replacements always ring the bells on the airport scanners and I get wanded and patted down. Often, they have to call for a female security person to examine me. Then they go through my carry-on bag carefully as well.
I always expect a hold-up going through airport security, so I plan to arrive early and allow for that extra time. They never seem to want to see the scars, although they do feel my knees. I wear trousers with a loose enough leg to pull it up to show the scars, if they ever do want to look at them.
 
That's brilliant @Ellejay about arranging to meet your friend. That's a long time to be in touch.

The legs up the wall trick you showed me, really helps my knee when it swells. A very effective remedy. The funny thing is once I'm in that position I want to fall asleep. Whether it's the position or the relief it gives, I don't know. You are right about the help with the swelling.

Have a great break x
 
Hi @SuperSnapper, I do hope that your new exercise regime is working for you.
We did a lot of walking whilst sightseeing in Stockholm and whereas my knee was a lot less painful than before the TKR, at times I was in great pain, it kept swelling and disturbed my sleep. The security alarms went off on our return journey as well, so I suspect this will be a constant occurrence when travelling from now on.
I keep reading that walking is a good exercise, and I'm not doing anything else, but the knee still keeps swelling. I have a fairly easy week this week, so I will keep icing, elevating and resting, but if this continues I think I might pay to see the original physio at the hospital. My OS discharged me at six weeks and made it clear that he didn't expect to see me again, but the physio will know whether anything is wrong. I'm fairly sure that it is only soft tissue damage, but it does seem to be taking its time to heal.
Here's hoping we both heal very quickly.
 
Lyn, my left TKR is now 7 months old and my knee still swells from time to time. I still have a few, random aches as well. They come and go, and I still have some days that are better than others.
If your physio can find a cause for your swelling, that's good.
However, I think I'll just have to be patient and remember that the knee is still healing.
 
Hi @Ellejay

Welcome home. I'm so sorry to read about your knee swelling. I hope that it responds to your rest and ice routine. You're wise to get it checked out. The main thing is you are trying to keep your muscles strong which is a big thing with this recovery process x please take care

Love Nana moon 27 x x x
 
The body is strange, over the years I have had some pretty big injuries and often they still announce themselves to me be it stiff, swollen or just cranky. But mention it to drs cant hinder anything

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Hi @Ellejay, just stopping by to say hello and wish you well. So nice you could get away for a little while, but sorry the knee did not care too much for the walking and the cobblestone streets which sounds rather quaint, but I guess not to the knees. Glad your stay was enjoyable and hope to see some photos as well. Take good care of yourself. Christine
 
Thanks for popping in @chestnc , I'm doing well thanks, how about you?
My knee swelling appears to have stopped @SuperSnapper, it's still a bit stiff but normal life is resuming. I'm back at the gym, but I still don't quite have the ROM needed for my bike, it's about 110 now.
I hope you are both happy with your knees these days, xx
 
@Ellejay Glad things have finally turned around for you, Lyn. There will be no stopping you now. The ROM will come. I had another little blip last week but only for a day and now it's all back to normal again. I love my new knee! I think little set backs are to be expected but I have a lot of confidence in my new joint.
Enjoy the gym xxxx
 
I'm having to forget my knee now, I'm caring for my three year old grandson as it looks as if his new sister wants to put in an appearance 5 weeks before she is due. My DiL is in hospital as they try to slow things down, but she could be in for a while. My husband and I had to rush back from our holiday in Norfolk to pick up J, we had just one night away! Thank goodness for new knees, I can play and be a proper Grandma.
 
One thing I forgot to mention re my knee - although the swelling now seems to have gone, and I can walk, climb stairs etc with no problems, my knee is still really achey at night, so much so that I have gone back to taking 2 paracetamol before bedtime just so that I can sleep. I didn't expect to need painkillers this far out, and I certainly didn't for my first knee, but it helps, so I'll carry on for a while longer.
 
Ellyjay.....it's actually not unusual to need some Tylenol for quite some time following surgery. So what you're experiencing still falls in the "normal" category. You're right to just keep doing what works.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom