THR Elf1 Recovery Road

Been meaning to post my update from my follow up with the OS on the 28th which puts me between 6/7 months. Had to kind of chuckle, not one little, teeny, tiny pain that day, not even the bursitis! Are you kidding me?! :heehee:. Doc thought it was pretty funny. Only thing was I felt like I was sitting on something, kind of like my leggings had maybe folded over or something.

Took Xrays prior to going in to see him, things are looking perfect still. Told him I was still dealing with the trochanteric bursitis and thought maybe a booster cortisone injection to the one my GP did would be helpful. He said not until 3 months out, bummer. :nah: He asked me if I wanted to go see a PT, umm, nope, not after the last one messed me up. He said well, that leaves holy water! Funny man, not! He assured me that the other little things I'm feeling are just those normal zips, zaps, niggles of recovery and will eventually go away. I pretty much knew that but always nice to have his reassurance.

Had me hop on the table to check my range of motion. He had two assistants in the room taking notes on a laptop so he just kind of talked to them during this. I know one of the numbers was 100, think he said two others that were 60, not sure what they meant. Had me lay on my non op side and lift my op leg straight up, he was quite pleased with that. Told him I didn't use the 2 lb weight as it irritated my bursitis and he said no problem. Said that I'm also doing leg raises and stuff in the pool, he said great! I have noticed a bit of pain/discomfort the last couple of days from his moving my leg around. Looked back in my thread and had the same thing after a previous visit where he did this. Guess it's because I don't usually put my hip/thigh in some of the positions he does.

Basically told me fly, be free, keep doing what I've been doing, continue to concentrate on my gait and come back in July right after my year anniversary!

Wonderful update, Elf! Interesting you had the same reaction you had last time your OS maneuvered your leg into the unfamiliar position.
Crazy, but awesome how you showed up pain free for your appt. isn't that just the way it seems to work?!
I hope you have a nice weekend!
@Elf1

@Layla, I think it's from having my leg maneuvered in a way I don't usually move it in day to day living. I was mentioning it to my husband who had been with me the first time and he's the one that come up with that and it makes sense.

Great update @Elf1 Thrilled your range of motion is coming along. I always have pain after an office visit. Those X-ray tables are hard as rocks too and you have to contort around. Hope your pain eases soon. Take it easy this weekend. :SUNsmile:

Great OS exam @Elf1! Isn't it great when they tell you not to come back for a long time?! I too have had after pains from having my leg moved all around at the exam. No worries; it will settle down, maybe already.

I don't think I belong over here with the hips @marieltha! :snork:

No wonder my hips are doing so great.. it's the Lourdes water and St. Joseph's oil I've been putting on the hips... I guess I should think about the knees :what:!

Hi Elf!
Sounds like you are getting there! I am still using g my pool at the club too and vary between intensive swimming and just floating relaxing!

I actually got a bit lazy there for a while and didn't go as much but plan to correct that. Went yesterday and it was wonderful! :swim:

Today I had lunch with some old friends that I worked with on my old job. Haven't seen either since before my surgery. They both kept telling me how great I looked and it was so nice to see me not hobbling around. Really felt good since one of them is an occupational therapist.

Told them a little about my stay at the hospital and the lack of care, they were just shaking their heads. Told them about my water walking and stretches in the pool to help with the TB and the friend that's the therapist kept shaking her head yes and smiling. When I was telling her about my experience with PT that was supposed to be for gait and that they had me doing bridges and clam shells she was shaking her head no. Told her about the manipulation of my SI joints that the one PT did that hurt me and set me back. She said please tell me you didn't go back! She loved that I had learned from you folks here as the local medical team was lacking in guidance. Something a lot of us have experienced.

hope everyone is having a Happy Valentine's Day! :loveshwr::loveshwr::flwrysmile:

Super update!! Loved that your PT friend "gets it."
I especially loved that they could see a difference in your gait and can see improvements!!

Girl, we are getting this recovery thing done!! :martini::cheers:

:loveshwr: What a great update @Elf1 You have worked hard at this. So wonderful that it is paying off with a stronger, more stable gate. Thrilled for you. Water is magic for recovery. Hope you have a relaxing weekend!

Hi @Elf1 ! What a great update from your visit with friends. Such wonderful affirmations you received. Sounds like, even though you had a couple of setbacks, you've made peace with it and are moving forward. We ALL need to do this.

Great job!!! :cheers2:

Hi Elf! :wave: How's the bursitis treating you? Hoping that it's easing up for you, at least a little bit! (But would love to hear that it's eased up a lot)

:froggies:

Hi @CricketHip! Yes, the bursitis seems to be letting up some ( knock wood) or I'm just used to the feeling of a cheese grater going across my hip and thigh! :heehee:

Still have some soft tissue, muscle and tendon stuff trying to get settled in there but sure beats the pain prior to surgery!

My SI joints have been giving me fits this "winter" here with our crazy temperature fluctuations. I think that therapist that decided to do the manipulation of my SI joint did more harm than good. I know if I move certain ways the area of my lower back that had such a bad reaction to her manipulation still rears its ugly head.

Doing good for the most part, just takes time and patience. Sorry I didn't get back sooner, have been dealing with the insurance company the last couple of days and my head is ready to explode! :gaah:. Thanks for checking on me!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back