Guest viewing is limited

THR Elf1 Recovery Road

Wow, @Elf1 … I remember like it was yesterday when you had your surgery cancelled and then rescheduled, and now it's one year. May I add just how different everything looks in our world since then.....but that's another story, isn't it?

Congratulations on your perfect report from your surgeon. Once you get your SI joint calmed down you will be doing the happy dance!
 
Hi fellow hippies :wave: ! Well here I sit at 2 1/2 years after my right THR and a bit perplexed. Have had some lingering pain since the replacement, anytime I've asked the OS it was shrugged off as bursitis. Back then I kind of want ok, read up and it sounded like Trochanteric Bursitis. Primary doc gave me a steroid shot in the local area, pretty much didn't do anything.

I do have spine issues that could be adding to some of the things I'm experiencing but don't think all. Lefty is acting up, not sure if she's saying it's time to replace her or what. Then righty is mimicking some of lefty's pains so wondering if it's referred pain.

Right now I'm sitting here feeling pain (almost like I'm sitting on something hard) right where the back of my thigh meets my buttock, then goes into my thigh. Then on my right hip, I believe at the Trochanter has the really sharp pain I've been feeling since early on. It's actually been getting a bit stronger lately. Really puzzling part is lately it almost feels like my hip and/or thigh wants to give out and sometimes almost locks up. Sometimes it's on the side, sometimes on the front of my thigh.

Trying not to make this an epic novel so will leave you with this so far. I do plan to talk to my primary when I have my appointment on Friday to give me a referral to an OS that he recently sent my husband to for his shoulder.

The OS seems to have limited in house xray capability so hope that's a start. I'm also thinking of asking the OS once I get in with him to see if he thinks going to physical therapy might be something that would help. He referred my husband to a new one in the area and liked what I read about their credentials and treatment philosophy.

I realize my exercise has been very limited this last 2 years so hoping maybe it's something simple (meaning no revision type answer) like trochanteric bursitis that's amuck or tendenitis, don't know, guess we'll see.

Hubby and I have back to back appointments with our primary so thinking my request to go see someone about my hip(s) will be received differently when the two of us are sitting there looking at him. I know it shouldn't be that way but stuff sometimes happens. Thanks for reading if you've hung with me this long! :heehee:
 
I am so sorry Elf! What a worry... My first thought it that it's maybe your spine? Or if the other hip is barking,, maybe it's compensatory?
I hope the surgeon and your primary Dr. both listen and help you get to the bottom of things.
Please keep us posted..
 
I’m sorry to read you’re still dealing with pain and uncertainty this far out from your surgery. I hope your Primary is able to give you a good referral so you can get to the origin of your pain and learn the state of your left hip. We need to get you fixed up in tip top shape, dear lady. Sending love, a hug and prayers for healing. Please keep us in the loop.
@Elf1
 
Hi Elf1.. I totally sympathize with what your experiencing. I hope you continue on until you get answers and find what you need to be free from pain.
It’s so frustrating when you know something is wrong and are dismissed by surgeons. Wish I had some answers for you . The best I can do is tell you to stick to your guns and push for answers. Do more research and know what manufacturer and model you have and read over the op report and find what you need until you are free from pain. Study the complications after THR. It’s obvious that from what you describe something is not wright. I suffered 6 years with severe complications, pain and cobalt poisoning. With doctors saying …”X-rays,blood tests,mri’s, bone scans all look good“. Not everything shows up on testing. I finally had revision and during revision they found all the issues . No one deserves to have their pain dismissed.
THR surgery is designed to improve our lives, increase mobility and expectations are to a full recovery and not left with serious pain that disrupts life. I will keep you in my prayers.Everybody deserves a shot to full recovery… Everybody.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I’m so sorry for your ongoing issues. I hope you can find some answers. I think I can relate to a lot of what you are saying. I remember at my year check up being dismissed by a resident with “well, you can’t expect it to feel like you’re thirty.” Easy girl! I had to say something! “Yes, I don’t expect it to but it should at least feel as good as my other one!” A little more time and it did feel more like it but it still isn’t perfect. It doesn’t really limit me so I roll with its aches and pains. You wonder though sometimes.

I’m not in my best physical conditioning due in part to the Covid situation right now. One other thing that comes to mind is tight muscles working against de-conditioned muscles. In the last year I have learned how much the muscles of the hip and pelvic girdle all work in tandem to stabilize our spine and skeleton and hold in our organs. That’s a lot of responsibility. No wonder we start to hurt when something’s not right there. Maybe PT could at least evaluate the possibility for you.

I also have the left hip complaining. It joins the ankle, hand, neck, and back in chorus sometimes. It’s something I guess I accept to a point. I try not to complain and do what I can to treat it myself. It’s just deciding when it’s bad enough to do something about. We know that road. It can be daunting. It’s demoralizing to be dismissed. It can be financially challenging. I’m glad you have your hubby’s support. It does help so much. Just know we understand and are cheering you on. Blessings.
 
Thanks for all your comments and good thoughts. It is just so weird that immediately after the surgery my back, left hip, knee and feet didn't hurt. Felt like a million bucks!

At first the pain i had was chalked up to incision and soft tissue healing. Then when that cleared up I realized there was that sharp, kind of rubbing type pain that I believe is the trochanter area. That just doesn't go away and it may just be a really stubborn case of trochanteric bursitis. I can hope! :snork:

My ROM in my right leg is great, way better than the left. I can walk without pain, get on the floor and play with the twin grandsons. Just don't look too graceful getting up! :heehee:
But I've never been known for being graceful. It just really threw me off when I started getting those weird little feelings of locking up in the front of my thigh or giving out in the other aress.

I'm thinking a new set of eyes, as in a different OS, and possibly some individualized PT might really do the trick. Keeping fingers crossed as OS is a Vet and quite a few of the PTs are so they may have a better understanding of what my body went through when in service. Fingers crossed:fingersx::wave:
 
Hello there, Elf!!! It's been a while. We had our hips done around the same time 2 1/2 years ago. Glad to hear from you, but not because of the pain you're experiencing.

I am pretty sure that your left hip can cause radiating aches and pains elsewhere in your body, but the new things you describe in your right thigh would have me at an OS PDQ. If for no other reason, to rule out the big stuff and hopefully get some understanding for what's happening right now. I have found that time really does heal. You could have tweaked your leg/hip and not even realized it until after it began to bother you.

Hoping for the best visit for you!!!
 
Hi @Bfam85 :wave: long time no see! Good to hear from you too!

Yep, thinking lefty could be causing the problem, my SI Joints could be doing it or even my back. I did have a recent xray of the lower spine, will see if I can get this new OS I'm trying to get into to look at that as well. He's in the same hospital network so thinking he should be able to see everything that's been done other than the THR.

I'm really hoping its just something simple like the trochanteric bursitis run amuck! I know during PT after the THR my left side did something weird and they said it was snapping hip syndrome. Hoping that might explain some of the weird sensations.
 
Hi @Elf1 , Nice to hear an update from you. I'm sorry you've got issues and hope they'll get resolved soon. My hip continues to be fine. I'm just beginning to get rather tired of Covid. Cases are exploding here at the moment.

But I'm very very happy to have to grandkids, a boy and a girl, both born last year to two of my daughters. Best wishes from the Rhine-Main area
Constanze
 
Just a quick update, have an appointment with the new Ortho this Thursday. :yay: Trying to narrow things down and thinking it might be a combination of Trochanteric Bursitis and Piriformis issues. The right thigh is seriously being wonky, started limping some yesterday and still today. Had my cane with me yesterday when visiting the grandsons, yeah, definitely had to keep my hands on that or it would have been gone. They were both very interested in it and trying to run off with it. :running::running:Will hopefully know more after the appointment.
 
I hope you get answers that lead to speedy relief.
Wishing you comfort until then. Please let us know what you hear on Thursday, I will be thinking of you.

Aww, the grandsons, lil twinsies, I’ll bet they’re the light of your life! :froggies:
@Elf1
 
Hi @Elf1
You have been so supportive on my thread, and I never realised that you were having issues of your own. I just read through this thread. It’s quite a story - wow, what a start, or non-start rather. And then the poor treatment in the hospital that you dealt with so well. Lots of interesting stuff going on in your life, what with cats and Octoberfest and new twin grandchildren and retirement decisions.

So sorry to hear about your current pain. I hope the upcoming appointment will identify the problem and come up with a speedy solution.
 
Hello again, I just popped back to see if there was any news on the appointment. Hoping it was useful.
x
 
@Klassy thanks for checking in on me! :flwrysmile: Doc was on call yesterday so got called over to the hospital to do a surgery so got bumped to today. Seemed like a very nice, knowledgable guy and he actually listened.

Long story short, they did xrays of both hips, assistant took down some pertinent into after asking me questions, then doc came in and asked me to explain what I was feeling and where. He had me cross each leg over the other (one at a time) and stretch a couple of ways. Then he moved my legs inward and outward, noted the stiffness and how tight they were.

Conclusion is trochanteric bursitis in both hips as well as iliotibial band syndrome. Everything with prosthetic in right hip looks great and there is some moderate arthritis in the left, which I was aware of. While not my favorite remedy, he did an injection in each bursa to help relieve the pain. Also gave me a sheet of exercises to do at home for stretching and then add in some more for strengthening. Basically said I really need to stick with the exercises for a long time and start going out walking daily again. As is often said here, motion is lotion. Schedule further appointments when/if needed. :yay: :walking:
 
With any luck the injections will help ease the pain and the exercises & walking bring you the relief you deserve. At least now you know what you’re dealing with. I hope you have a nice weekend!
@Elf1
 
Ahh,, glad to hear you found someone who gave you a lot of time and listened.. Hopefully you won't be too sore from the injections and relief is on it's way!!
 
Best of luck that the injections last a good while...:fingersx:
Hope the Spring weather comes soon and allows you to get more walking in.
As you know, the exercises get old :bored: and you don't want to strain by too many reps at first, but building up slowly and consistency is likely the key.
Perhaps I should pop on here everyday and check to see if you did them?:) :-) (:

Hope you have a lovely weekend, friend.:flwrysmile:
 
Thanks everyone for all the good thoughts and prayers. Day 2 of stretches down, now going to go roll around on the floor with the grandsons!. :loveshwr:

Had to chuckle in the docs notes, well developed and well nourished female. What a nice way of saying I'm chunky! :heehee: They also noticed something about my gait, antalgia but no assistive devices used. Dr googled the word and it says it's an adjusted way of walking due to pain. I hadn't really noticed my gait was off so now mentally concentrating on heel toe, heel toe. Maybe I need to go back and try One Step since I didn't finish up my initial trial.

See y'all later, hope everyone has a great Sunday! :hi:
 
Back
Top Bottom