THR Elf1 Recovery Road

:wave:Just checking in on my hippy pal.
This recovery business can be arduous...so I do hope you are keeping your patience muscle flexed.
Dont let the PT push too hard.
 
Last edited:
Sounds like you are doing so well. Keep up all the good work and positive attitude.
 
I hope your PT session was useful and it helped relieve some of the tightness you were feeling?
 
Good morning Elf! I hope this is a good day for you. Heel toe! :walking: :heehee::heehee:
My PT peeps-- while in the hospital noticed that my quads where very weak and they had me focus on clenching the quads while stepping out with that leg to get them activated. I must say it helped a lot and I find myself still needing to clench them occasionally, especially on my more active days, and especially when I was transitioning to the cane.
 
Morning! Didn't really check in much yesterday, was kind of a long, busy day. On top of the PT we took our oldest cat to the Vet, seems to have allergies or upper respiratory infection and grabbed something to cook for dinner while we were out looking for the pillow wedge I'm wanting. Of course the Wal-Mart I originally saw it at was out so tried one next town over, they don't even carry it. Have to find something to help on bed, low back and hips are sore and stuff in the mornings lately. Believe I'm sleeping wrong.

Well went to PT, nice young lady, spent most of this appointment talking about how I feel, what pain levels are, what I would like the outcome to be, etc. We are eye to eye on a lot of things but there are a few that I'm not agreeing with. She gave me 5 exercises to do at home, one of which is bridging. Explained that I'm not wanting to work my core at this time. She isn't getting real crazy over this, she said you're basically already doing this when you get in bed and slide over, you're lifting your butt up a little which is all you need to do. Don't try doing like the picture. She did a little light message/manipulation on my leg and hip that actually loosened some stuff up so that was nice. She definitely says if something hurts to not do it.

Took my cane so she could see me walk with it, I mean point for me going to this is to get gait right. Says I'm doing really well with cane but wants me to mainly stay with walker for majority of my walking while we work together for a while. Told her I was also planning to use it out in public for quite some time to come as people have no concept of personal space. Have almost been taken out with my walker already. Will continue to give this PT a shot for a little bit longer but if I don't feel I'm benefiting or being pushed towards pain I'll tell them to take a hike.

Hope everyone has a good rest of their day, have some stuff I want to try to get accomplished before it gets too late.
 
Hi there . Don't think you should be bridging yet. My Pt (well one of the ones I have) says that's later--6 weeks etc. when restrictions were lifted if I could do it.Yup they can take a hike .Know about that personal space stuff too. I am always leery of people walking around me --that cane comes in handy though,right?
Poor old cat-heartbreaking when they have stuff. I had a cat that lived to 21.
 
Morning @Elf1. I get it about personal space intruders. I've thought about learning some defensive moves with that cane.:heehee: Hope kitty gets better soon. I've got an older cat that is skinny however healthy. Vet said some get fat and some get skinny. If you saw him you'd think I didn't feed him. I'm waiting till 6 weeks for PT like I did before just cuss. Keep it up girl you're looking good!
 
@mikeycat and @julesglass kitty seems to be doing fun, just a little hiccup. He actually gained a half pound since last visit so for a skinny 10 year old Doc was quite happy. Been going to the same Vet for 20,years and have total faith in him.

Yeah, just kind of continuing to do my own thing at my place and taking the PT with a grain of salt. Think I actually blew her away with where I'm at and all the things I was telling her. Don't think they're used to getting patients that actually know what's what. The further I go on this journey the more amazed I am of all the different advice/guidance given and that's just locally!
:egypdance:
 
I am glad your little puss cat is ok. So important to have a trustworthy vet !

Good for you for taking what you want from pt and leaving the rest
 
Hi Elf1....just checked in to see how your doing...you are inspirational...keep on doing what your doing....wish my journey was going as smooth.....x:kittymilk::kittymilk::kittymilk::kittymilk:
 
Oh you are a smart one. I always research and follow my own drum. Nice when kitty is OK and you trust your vet. Oftentimes in older cats hyperthyroidism is the cause and there is permanent treatment for that or pills forever.But sometimes just old age. I take everything even what doc says with a grain of salt--good for you.
 
You have such a seemingly placid and comfortable approach to healing, @Elf1 Good for you for sticking up for yourself at PT. I do believe PT can, and has been for me, incredibly helpful but you are the person who knows your body and if you feel you're not ready for something then that it is. You are getting there at your own pace and in your own time, and clearly if your PT is impressed with how far you've come, then you're absolutely doing the right thing--for you! Hurray, and have a good day!
 
@Barbaraj think it's a bit early to be doing bridges at 2 1/2 weeks out. I know technically I'm doing them already when I move in the bed and situate myself in the car so we'll just keep playing it by ear. I have been kind of amazed at how strong my core/abs have been as I quit working out a few months before surgery. The workouts, even in water were causing more damage to the protrusio acetabular issue. Can't wait to get the ok so I can go back to pool walking, was such a Zen part of the day.

How are you feeling today? Sorry you've had a bit of a rough start but you sure are trying to stay positive which is good.
 
I am feeling pretty good, @Elf1, or as good as I can given this early stage in recovery. Glue strip removed and my mind is much calmer now I'm not worrying whether it's removal would hurt or not (it didn't) and hopeful ugly little blisters will fade now that the irritant is gone. I can't imagine being able to do bridges at only 2-1/2 weeks out! I feel my core is in pretty good shape as I was able to keep working out up until the day of my surgery (and, yes, I was doing some bridges). But it's a bit depressing how quickly one can turn to mush on the recovery road. Good news is that the further along I get, and once I'm in PT, I know I'll be able to start working to get these flabby muscles back in shape!
 
Happy Three Week Anniversary!
Time sure flies when we're having fun :heehee: Give it another week or two and I'll bet you'll be getting out more.
The early recovery biz can get quite boring. :yawn:
I hope you gave a lovely Monday and great rest of the week!
@Elf1
 
@Layla thanks! Yep, getting kind of boring but getting a kick out of all the old classics we've been watching on TV. Taking things slow and easy, have another PT this week so that will be another trip out. Surprised how good I feel at 3 weeks!
:yahoo:
 
I agree, I feel so much more human starting my third week. I get up, coffee for about two hrs and I'm looking for something to do! Gotta run dish washer tomorrow, Deb's coming over less and less. Got commode over toilet today, no more emptying bucket now. Going to cook a skillet dinner thing that will feed me a couple nights. I'm starting to get in the groove of recovery. Keep on trucking :walking: girl friend!!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom