Guest viewing is limited

THR Elf1 Recovery Road

I'm amazed at how well you've taken all of this. From the eleventh hour surgery cancelation, to the misinformation and lack of direction. Thankfully you educated yourself beforehand.
I think you'll be safe working with PT on gait. I'm sure they'll watch, assess and pretty much have you heel-toeing it. If they have anything interesting to add, please share, we'll be interested. You're doing great, Elf1, I'll bet you're so relieved to be on the bright side of the road. :SUNsmile:
Hope today is a good one!
@Elf1
 
Thank you everyone! Scar is looking good, feels so much better without the staples. Had a small amount of swelling this morning from their removal but ice seemed to handle that. Pretty slow day today, figured after yesterday should chill today. Did go out to store to pick up prescription and had my first shower!!!! :yahoo:
 
Way to go Elf1. Just love reading your stuff, your humour, the amazing amount of patience you have enduring what you do and what's even more amazing is coming out of everything on top.The staples were something,huh?Felt like I had hundreds. Oh and a shower that felt great,eh? It was 3 long weeks before I could do this--holy batmobile!You are doing so great, girl.
 
:loveshwr::loveshwr:Hi, @Elf1, I am logging into Bonesmart from my recovery room, using tiny cellphone keyboard so forgive any bizarre misspelled words! Glad to read you had a pleasant outing followed by a veg out day. And a shower and clean hair, such a treat! Nice to get stitches out, I’m sure—astounded that I have NO bandage this time—just glue—so I can see my scar from n all its hideous glory! Maybe this means that I can take a shower right away!

You are doing fabulously—keep up the good work, hurray for you!
 
Last edited:
@Barbaraj, wow no bandage! I'm not sure why I had staples when he originally said it would be glue, nurse said too big an area. They're gone that's all that counts.

Again, you sound fantastic, hoping you have a restful night.
 
I had a bandage with steri-strips time, @Elf1. So I was shocked to just see a glue strip that will melt away with time I am guessing. Apparently it’s the new thing for my OS. While I won’t post a selfie (silly @mainegirl1) here’s what my incision looks like—not that scary!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Elf1 Recovery Road
    825C52DE-F582-4595-8EB3-8FFFE7376AAD.jpeg
    103 KB · Views: 186
@Barbaraj that's not bad looking at this point, hope it stays that way. I had minimal swelling and bruising which is weird as normally if I look at a door knob wrong I bruise!
 
I'm allergic to certain metals. Right up to surgery I kept saying no staples, so OS wrote on my leg "No staples" as he usually does staples. I had to sign my leg and so did the surgeon to make sure they did the left leg. I guess they all do that. And the nurse said they took all the staples out of the operating room so they were gone.:heehee: I guess I was kind of freaking out I'd wake up with staples. I never had a bandage change until in home nurse removed it. All along I could have showered because there was a special sealer on my bandage. Duh. I think I was told that, it just slipped through my brain.
You are really making good progress, :egypdance:
 
That's great no swelling or bruising edema in legs though. I didn't have either and no redness go figure. I get a bug bite and there is swelling, oozing,inflammation.I thought it would be awful but it was just fine.Glad to hear things are rolling along nicely for you. My incision(s) are barely visible-just thin lines yippee--maybe its because we get all this other bruising and stuff for minor things we were spared for the really big stuff--just a theory.
 
morning @Elf1 ! Just checking in to hear how well your recovery is going. After your beginning act, things seem to have quieted down for you...the incision healing is a great step forward :) Hope you continue doing as well as your are now! Patience and positive attitude win the day every time. xox
 
@Elf1 Have been on vacation with intermittent wi-fi, so just checked in to see how you were doing and after reading about the hospital, read frantically through the rest to be sure things turned out well, and so happy to hear that they have. Your posts are informative and inspiring for those of us who are still pre-op. Your ability to prevail over everything you faced is testimony to the importance of a good attitude. I hope to follow your example.
 
Yay for first shower, Elf1! It's the best feeling. I was a little wobbly but it felt so good to have clean hair after a couple of days of bedhead. Ugh.

You're doing so well and you've been a very patient, patient throughout the rollercoaster ride you've been on. What a trooper! I hope you have a great day. Happy Thursday!
@Elf1
 
One of the good folks I encountered in the hospital was the occupational therapist, she was actually pleasant and quite helpful. We were chatting about various things, she was asking do you have this at home, etc. And I kept answering yes and adding any additional details, like the bedside commode but putting it over the toilet, having a pillow in the car for ride home for comfort and to level out seat. She was quite pleased with a lot of the answers I have her and kept saying I learned that from my online support group, they are amazing and not just for hips. Finally she asked me what the website was so she could check it out and then maybe turn some of her patients on to it as it sure did seem to be helpful for me. Even finally had the PT ask for website as well before I was discharged. We're spreading the word! :heehee:
 
I told people at the hospital too, my PT and others, usually I get this "deer in the headlights look". :heehee:Sounds like your PT might really take a look....no one yet has heard of it that I've encountered so far. They don't know what they are missing. My cousin who goes in September, said "Why do I have to join, I can just ask you everything." :chinstroke:
I'm not really a joiner either, but for once glad I did. I will say I've been having trouble with my tendonitis in my hand and shoulder from so much texting in here with my phone. :whistle: I might have to slow down, but how to do that is complicated. I know people move on eventually, but how sad....:boohoo:I suppose it happens gradually as you get busy with your normal routines again. :tada: I'm hanging in for awhile yet, I'm not quite ready to move on. :flwrysmile:
 
Didn't tell any of the hospital folks about BS, but I did something else: I showed the overnight nurse who was taking care of me what I had written in BS about how well the hospital was taking care of me. She lit up ... Of course, I had wonderful attention and treatment the rest of the night.
 
Back
Top Bottom