THR Elf1 Recovery Road

Thanks for all the good, healing thoughts everyone and for input on PT, etc. I will be looking into something a little farther down the road but for now just enjoying the little steps!:eyebrows:

Sitting here with hubby and it just dawned on us that at this very time last Monday I was being wheeled OUT of surgery! What a difference a week can make! Amazed at how good I feel, learning to try and embrace the little niggles, zaps, etc as they are signs of healing!

Hope everyone has a peaceful day with limited pain and aggravation.
:egypdance:
 
@Elf1
My PT, at just 7 weeks, I took my riser off the toilet, hubby said why, I said that's my squat exercise now.:rotfl: I walk more. I vacuum and my legs get a workout. I bend over to dead head my flowers. Everytime I get out of bed I do leg raises. I go up and down the basement stairs to get things out of the freezer and practice stepping up cautiously with my surgery leg first then followed by regular leg. At PT I would be stepping on and off a box several times.:heehee: I get in the car and lift my knee up like at PT. Knee lift. I'm doing PT all over the house now without even realizing it. PT knows when you are ready, it just happens normally if you let it...:flwrysmile:
 
I like @Cecropia ’s style, too! And just to tie it up with a bow, it’s exactly the way my PT tells me to go about getting better. I get lots of explanation for this about the value of doing the functional movements of daily life, activating muscles in groups rather than isolation, and doing very limited repetitions of any one movement when you are healing. He always laughs and says, “Live in your body, don’t play with it like a toy.”
 
Forward progress, @Elf1, no matter how slow it can seem (and, boy, do I remember that it so often felt like glacial melt!) is STILL forward progress down the recovery road. Sounds like you're doing well--slow and steady wins the race!
 
What a difference a week can make! Amazed at how good I feel, learning to try and embrace the little niggles, zaps, etc as they are signs of healing!

Great attitude and it's the truth! Time seems to fly too. At first you're anxious for a week to pass and the more mobile you get it seems the faster they click on by. Hope you're having a good one!
@Elf1
 
Hi @Elf1 glad to see you are recovering well . I’m sending you some positive vibes of healing from sunny Cornwall (UK) .
 
Thank you everyone for the kind thoughts! Well today was my first follow up with the OS nurse. Had the staples removed, she put on some steri strips and that's all I have on until they fall off. Can now shower, yippee! Discussed the instructions from the hospital about changing bandage daily (we didn't do) and putting antibiotic cream on incision (we did do 2x). She was um yeah you're not supposed to put anything on. Well how about you get with the folks next door and tell them to correct their discharge instructions?

She was quite impressed with the lack of bruising and swelling. Told her ice has been pretty much my constant companion. She liked that and said to continue for a long time to come. They're putting in another prescription for pain meds just so I have something for late at night, if needed, or overdoing things.

She asked where my socks were? I said what sock, they didn't use any this time. Oh well, they were going to let me stop them today anyway. Had a discussion about PT, she went and checked with Doc as we didn't agree. He popped in for a few minutes and said he would like me to go to work the gait/limp limp issue, nothing major, like once a week to knock that out. Told him since that was all he was looking at that I would at least give it a shot. Had told the nurse that if they hurt me they will have foot upside the head! :snork:

Good visit, first time outside since the surgery. Stopped to pick up something from a friend, chatted for a little bit, headed to grocery store to grab prescription (wasn't sent yet, had to call to let them know) and grabbed a few things for dinner and munchies. Thought I might have overdone even though we were very careful. Came home, grabbed I've pack, took a pill and stretched out on couch. Feeling pretty good other than the foot my one cat is sleeping on is going to sleep! :zzz:
 
It's can be surprising how much is too much this early in the recovery process. You have such a great attitude and making sure that your rest and ice a lot at this stage. There is plenty of time to recover and might as well do what the body wants at this stage as this will make the future even better. Good news that you didn't get the compression stockings and really did not need them. I never had to use them for which I am eternally thankful. I get claustrophobic just thinking about my legs being in cased in anything.
 
Oh and my t-shirt today has a Rosie the Diverter type gal on it, says Hip Replacement Warrior It's Not For The Weak! And Rosie has a tattoo of hips on her arm! Love it!
:rotfl:
 
Just checking in to see how you are...l am so pleased at your progress and your attitude...you really are an inspiration Elf1 and l hope for your journey to run smoothly..but...you seem like the kinda woman that would cope with a bumpy road...which...hopefully will not be.....onwards and upwards my friend....:loveshwr:
 
Glad your home - I’m so shocked and dismayed about your poor hospital experience

And despite it all You have such a positive upbeat attitude! Kudos !

Did the lambs wool help? Has the burning sensation subsided?
 
Isnt it lovely to get out? I took one of my dogs to the vet yesterday and i loved it :rofsign:

Cannot wait to have my dressing removed and see my scar. Is yours good?
 
Oh and my t-shirt today has a Rosie the Diverter type gal on it, says Hip Replacement Warrior It's Not For The Weak! And Rosie has a tattoo of hips on her arm! Love it!

Love it too.
I want me one of those...
You are doing just wonderfully.
Keep fighting the good fight...all will resolve.
 
Hi there!
Just catching up with your posts and so glad the icing has worked for you. The hospital sounds horrendous, they should have taken better care of you than that. Watch outcatctbree to four weeks out as VERY easy to join the ODIC! Best of luck for your recovery.
 
Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom