THR Elf1 Recovery Road

Hi Elf1...so pleased to hear your moving along well...that heel pain is weird...l have been putting a pillow there and hanging heels off the end.. as , when they touched the bed it was excruciating...what's all that about ??? So sad to hear your hospital story....how awful , after your initial cancellation...but...you have that wonderful sounding husband...onwards and upwards my friend:catbutterfly:
 
Hi @Elf1
I pray you have a stellar recovery. You've been through so much just getting to this point! The 11th hr cancelation of your surgery and then the hospital neglect experiences. I'll bet you were never as happy to get to your safe place / recovery nest, Home Sweet Home.
I hope your pain is well managed and you're resting comfortably.
Hugs
 
  • I remember as a nurse what I worried most postop was dislocation, infection and blood clots. I thought if I cleared those hurdles, no worries.
Well, postop I've had groin pain, knee clicking, knee pain and something that felt like bursitis on the outside of my hip. I worried about my incision and how it looked.
Well so far so good but these weird pains that come and go can be worrisome but so far they just seem to be a part of the 2 steps forward 1 step back of recovery.
You have your head on straight about it all, you'll get there. This grinding pain i still have that you used to describe is a good reminder of why I'm on this road and can't wait for my next step on the journey on 8/21.
 
Well at least the head fog is seeming to clear, much more mobile than I was on Tuesday when I got home and pain is definitely controlled well. Don't want to say too much and jinx myself. :snork:

Hubby and I were just sitting here talking about how I'm feeling and the changes I've experienced in just this week. Kind of mind blowing. Keep catching myself wanting to just put out my arms and legs and stretch! Not sure that would be good so trying to do little stretches here and there.
:egypdance:
Have been giggling at all the well meaning advice I'm receiving on Facebook, etc. I politely thank everyone and say I have a plan and resources in place, but appreciate your thoughts. :snork:
 
Hope a lazy day resting for you, @Elf1, with well controlled pain and just coping with stiffness and swelling. Those aren't fun, of course, but manageable, I think. You're a week out, and I hope you feel you've made good progress since being released from the hospital. Given your dreadful experiences there, it has to be better at home by a wide, wide margin! Happy Sunday!
 
Delighted that you are feeling better @Elf1 isnt it amazing the difference a few days make ?
What sort of advice were you getting from Facebook? Was it really awful :heehee:
 
@Barbaraj and @Fiona444 I'm taking it easy, icing, watching TV and chilling! Had folks telling me I needed to get into PT as soon as possible, the longer I wait the worse it will be. Um barely a week out, give me a break. One of my friends was telling me that her PT had her in tears during some sessions. Not happening, you make me cry, I make you cry! :heehee:

And they were all knee replacements and no nothing about having their hip replaced. Like I said, they mean well.
 
Hello :wave:
Happy to read you're doing well, Elf.

People are well meaning, just as you noted, you can chalk it all up to good humor because I'm sure you're chuckling while reading your FB friends advice. It always seems to be those who've never experienced the procedure chirping the loudest too :shrug:
Glad things are running smoothly for you at almost one week post op already. Yahoo! :happydance:
I hope you have a peaceful relaxing rest of the day. :)
@Elf1
 
PT never made me cry, with the knees or the hip but then I had already found bone smart so I knew that forcing and pain is not the way to recover - not even knees. I did a lot of moves to get the knees recovered but not to pain. With the hip, it was all walking and some leg swings and sitting and standing up but in small amounts and that was after 2-3 wks. I have to say also that none of the PT people I interacted tried to force the issue - not sure if they would not have or if it was the fact I had a discussion before anything began as to what their philosophy was for my PT and I shared my feelings on the subject. After all, I am the customer and the patient so ... they were very nice, supportive, helpful but not pushy.
 
What a terrific perspective to be able to look back one week (!) and enjoy a sense of progress and positive change. Truly admire your level-headed and humorous outlook. Looking forward to seeing what the next week will bring!
 
I had home PT for 2 weeks and he was very gentle and also took my vital signs every time he came which was helpful.
Outpatient PT was another story, and thanks to the Bonesmart mantra I quit letting that PT bend me too far that caused me to go back on stronger pain meds for a couple days to get over the pain! I did exercises at home and walked, and now at 10 weeks out I'm back at the
gym starting slow and easy, but now that it's time for that I feel a sense of accomplishment instead of pain and frustration. Next time I'll know better. There is no rush!!!!
 
I am delighted that you are chilling and healing nicely @Elf1. Before i knew better i too would have said that Physio from the outset was the way to go based on what i was led to believe. But having had the op and knowing what i do about muscle and tendon recovery from my fitness days it does seem mad to try and use damaged tissue to the point of pain. When i was in hospital my physio asked me to do a move that I couldn’t do because it was too painful and she said that I better get used to it because i had to do it!
 
When i was in hospital my physio asked me to do a move that I couldn’t do because it was too painful and she said that I better get used to it because i had to do it!
What a difference in physios! My hospital experience was completely opposite. Mine said if you can't do X today ,stop and try it again another day! They were gentle and encouraging. And that continued at same location as outpatient. I'm so lucky!
 
Re: PT. I have visits 2x a week from an in-home PT who also checks vitals, looks at the incision, etc. She's great. Essentially asks what I want to work on and it's all functional stuff--walking properly with the cane, safely getting into and out of the car on the driver's side, getting up and down from chairs without arms, etc. And she's a great cheerleader, noting my progress when I'm feeling discouraged. Early on she gave me some exercises but when I said they increased pain, she said "don't do them." With the last hip, I did go to outpatient PT to work on strength and balance but not until 9 or 10 weeks into recovery--and the PT said it was good I'd waited that long, that coming earlier could have caused problems with still healing tissue.
 
''Not happening, you make me cry, I make you cry!'' :heehee:Love it. Oh Elf1 why oh why did you have to have such a miserable experience. You took things in such stride and after all the cancellations and then to have such abysmal care and service. Sounds like your sense of humour has pulled you through. I hope that everything, everything is onward and upward from here. Pamper and baby yourself you deserve it
 
Happy One Week Anniversary!! You’re making it look easy. :wowspring:

Hooray for sticking up for yourself. Hope this next week is easier than the last.
 
I think the take away from all of it is know your body and find a good PT --so totally agree @gertie But @Elf1 your experience has already taught you to self advocate, you're going to do great and in good time!
 
Well, I think the distinction should be drawn here that early PT is probably NEVER appropriate! My OS said no PT for the first six weeks, and I was fine with that. Just walking every day was all that he advised, @Elf1, and that is all I had the energy for at least initially. Having said that, at the end of 6 weeks I requested a referral to PT and found it to be very helpful for building back strength and flexibility. PT with a good therapist can be a really positive experience, but of course a bad therapist who doesn't listen and pushes you to do things that are uncomfortable is what can give PT a bad reputation. I know you are perfectly capable of saying "NO" if PT were being pushed at you now, and I assume your OS is firmly in your camp. You know you the best. Glad all's going pretty well so far--it will only get better!
 
Back
Top Bottom