TKR Eeek’s recovery thread.

Today I did a couple of complete revolutions on the exercise bike. Both backward and forward. A big accomplishment.
Yippee! Good for you! That is most definitely a huge step in our journey! The first time I did it, I let out a loud, "Yahoo!"!
 
Yay! Good number! Good luck next week. We will be here waiting to hear from you!
 
#2 is done. Will write more once I dig out the iPad, and wake up abut, but I am glad this is complete and it‘s time to go forward.
 
Welcome to the world #2 knee! I will leave you our recovery articles again for a refresher course. Following these will help you to have a less painful recovery.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines


1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now; they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for TKRs


The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling

Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.
 
First day was a wash, surgery was late, I needed to see PT before I could get out of bed, so I stayed in bed. Bad sleeping. Day 2 was better. Had 2 morphine injections, got in and out of bed, walked down the hall, did 20 minutes on the Cpm machine. It is freaking hot but I have an excellent mini fan that does really make a difference. Last time, I had a morphine pump, vein failed and my hand swelled, all my blood pressure was crazy last time. This time I had an injection, much better. But I don‘t like morphine....it constipates me and makes me stupid.


Day3
Good night’s sleep. Got up and went to bathroom myself this morning. Yesterday the muscles in the back of my leg drove me crazy. Today they are much better. My big bandages were removed, had a shower and an x-Ray. Lots of lying in bed. Swelling looks moderate and pain is ok...it feels mostly tired. Today is Thursday, I probably go home on Saturday if all is well.
 
Good to see you again in recovery. I dislike morphine too, for the same reasons, but it does help with pain. Here’s hoping you have lots of healing naps and an uneventful couple days until you can go home. :friends:
 
:console2: Things sound on the good side of “par for the course “. I hope this recovery will be “uneventful “ and you can go home soon!
 
Yay for going home today!!!:happydance:
 
So some initial impressions. The operated leg (this time) hurts less than last time. I can sit and stand from the toilet and the bed much easier. Early days though....might hurt more later.

I‘m lying on my side... operated leg on top, pillow between. Will elevate and ice later today.....need to rest.
The one thing that is driving me crazy is itchy skin. Moisturizing all around the bandage. And contstipation. Meh.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom