Guest viewing is limited

Fractured Neck of Femur/Pinning Dynamic Hip Screw

Hi Abby,
How have you been over the past three weeks? Hopefully you were able to check in with your surgeon, or get an appointment scheduled. Getting to the bottom of this may make a huge difference in how you feel.
We advise giving a leg leg differential sensation 3-4 months as it can take that amount of time for things to balance. If after that point, which is where you are now, we suggest you visit with your OS or a reputable podiatrist or PT for a measurement. I hope you're able to do so and find relief soon. Keep us posted. :)
@Abby73
 
A while since I posted last, now 6 months from the fall. Leg slowly getting stronger and can do more now, nhs referred me to the hospital gym and that has helped, no longer needing pain killers for that issue. It’s sore to the touch and if I knock it and I can often feel the hinge moving with my leg, X-ray showed it was healing normally. 3 weeks after the fall and ensuing trauma I developed pains in right shoulder and arm, been told it’s a frozen shoulder and osteoarthritis, and frozen shoulder takes aged to go, so using pain relief for that
I believe the frozen shoulder to be caused by the accident, trying hard not to let it get me down
 
You know one thing leads to another! One injury can exacerbate another body part very easily.
Happy to hear the hip is feeling better and healing well.
Don’t be a stranger! Keep us posted!
 
Hi I have just joined I broke my femur tripping up and crashing heavily and I had surgery on 5th August 25 when the hospital inserted a Dynamic Hip Screw
Spent 10 days in hospital am now home for 2 weeks with walking aids and homehelp, I feel I’ve made some slow progress in hospital I washed on morphine and paracetamol, now paracetamol as needed and at night when things are worse I sometimes take Co codamol
The pain was horrendous at first but slowly improving
Only other people I know have had similar have had planned hip surgery and recovered quickly but been warned a traumatic injury and the biggest bone will be slower
I know it’s early days just looking for support really
Thanks for the comment on DHS (Dynamic Hip Screw). The first to be used in the UK was at Stirling, Scotland, in 1982. Approximately 30,000 a year are sold in the UK. I was involved with its introduction.
 
@Abby73 …. It sounds like you are making progress, which is wonderful. Recovering from something like this after a fall absolutely takes a lot of time - more than if a hip is just replaced. You have the right approach - patience and small steps forward. It’s very positive to hear that the gym exercises are helping. Don’t hesitate to post here and let your fellow BoneSmarties cheer on any successes you have no matter how small. And, because this path is never linear, we’ll be here to boost you up should there be any small setbacks like that frozen shoulder. Sending ((((HUGS)))!!
 
Great news on the progress you're making as your leg strengthens, Abby. I am sorry that you're dealing with the added pain of an arthritic frozen shoulder. I hope you're able to find some relief soon.
Dealing with discomfort / pain is a challenge and it can get you down in your daily life. Hopefully you find many moments of comfort through PT, meds...if prescribed, and time. Please keep us posted on your progress.
Best Wishes!
@Abby73
 
Thank you all for your replies, it’s good to have support when you’re in pain
 
Hi All, after joining the gym to help build up my strength again, last Thursday I fell and broke my wrist, meaning more pain and I can’t drive.
Having to ask people to help with showering and dressing as I’m on my own. Issue is confidence in walking, which is important to keep up the gains I’ve made after surgery and recovery of the femur
To say I’m fed up is an understatement!
 
Ugh, Abby, I am so sorry. It's understandable that you're feeling frustrated. Take it slow and easy, things will get better.
Sending a hug your way. :console2:
@Abby73
 
Oh my goodness, @Abby73! Not fair to have to deal with another recovery.

You might find some helpful information in the Wrist section of our Other Joints Forum.

Did you have to have surgery on the wrist? What are they telling you about the recovery time? If you feel up to sharing more details, you can also start a thread there.
 
8 months on from the surgery and things are so much better, I still have difficult days when out walking as I’ve lost confidence as 2 breaks 7 months apart has scared me in case of tripping as have now broken 4 bones and realise I break easy
I am trying to increase my strength, have been going for longer walks, but nothing like I used to
I realise looking back on my posts that it’s been a long journey!
 
Hi, Abby. I can understand how much trepidation you may have around the possibility of another fall considering all you've been through. I think that is one of the hardest things to overcome with our joint journeys: being confident in our bodies again. I'm glad to hear you are feeling better overall. I still had good and bad days up to a year or so after my THR. It is still totally normal as long as you have more of the good ones than bad. Lol. How is your wrist faring?

@Abby73
 
Hi Hip4life thanks for your comment, I ended up having surgery on my wrist 25/3 where they put in plate and screws, as it kept displacing, now recovering from that. With my walking I’m trying to pace myself and celebrate the success of DHS in mending me well, so grateful for the hospitals care and support
Now if I could just get rid of the shoulder pain probably frozen shoulder, which was caused by using crutches last year, will be well pleases and could return to swimming
 
Thanks for the update, sounds like you are coming right along. I think once you have broken bones from falling you are very cautious about every step you take. I broke and ankle and a hip from two separate falls several years apart from each other but both necessitated surgery and recovery. So now I’m so aware of my surroundings wherever I go. I am able to walk 3-6 miles a day and so enjoy my walks. And so happy I recovered to the point I am able to do everything again.
I wish you well.
 
You are an inspiration---the way you keep addressing each issue that comes up in a positive, focused way. It is so frustrating to have the domino effect happen when you already are struggling. Your multiple surgeries/injuries sound so difficult. Hopefully you'll keep making progress and will be able to avoid any more bumps in the road as you recover! l
 
So now I am 8 months on from the surgery on my femur, am walking ok, but I wonder if it will ever be like it was, it’s uncomfortable and sometimes painful, am i expecting too much after 8 months? Can’t get rid of the limp
 
I think you're still healing eight months after breaking your femur, which is a significant injury. Things can still improve, so don't lose hope. Wondering if you could use some targeted rehab at this point for your gait? As far as the discomfort and pain, your muscles and tendons are still healing and an overly active day or longer periods on your feet may be more than you can handle right now as your body continues to heal and strengthen. Don't hesitate to touch base with your OS's office for advice if you feel the need. See if they have any advice for you.
Best wishes, Abby.
@Abby73
 
@Abby73 …. Layla is right. This is a significant injury that can take a year or more for full recovery. One caution…if you are still limping in any way, please continue to use a cane for support until that resolves. Not doing this causes your gait to be off and your body to try and compensate. It actually delays recovery. There is no push to be off a walking aid. You want to stop using it when you no longer need it. If you’re limping at all, your body still needs that extra support.

You might want to find a therapist who specializes in pressure point therapy (also called trigger point therapy). It’s possible that you may have some very tight muscle fibers in your leg that need to release.
 
Hi Abby,
Stopping by to see how you've been since we last heard from you? I hope you've noticed some improvement over the past month and a half. Please let us know when you have the time.
Happy Weekend! Wishing you a good one. :SUNsmile:
@Abby73
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom