Guest viewing is limited

Fractured Neck of Femur/Pinning Dynamic Hip Screw

Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope you have a lovely day and weekend! :SUNsmile:
@Abby73
 
Thank you that’s very kind! I think I expected to be a lot better one month on but still needing painkillers mainly for the knee and ankle now which is frustrating to say the least - oh to be able to get into a hot bath
Glad this forum is here for reassurance and support I’m wonder if anti inflammatory meds would be better than paracetamol
 
Belated birthday wishes. We are the same age. I turned 73 in February but feel 50!
Hang tight, the recovery can be boring, frustrating & take way longer than you hoped. I fractured my hip from a fall & thought I’d be back in action in no time but that just wasn’t the case. Not for lack of trying.
 
Hi my glass halffull
Love the name thanks your post was reassuring as I’d expected to be further ahead by now, orthopaedic nurse has just visited to put yet another dressing on as the wound still not healed after 4 weeks but happy with that don’t want an infection
Normally I’m incredibly active with 2 dogs a few hours paid work in a country park, looking after grandchildren and a Bellringer involving climbing many church towers so have to reset my expectations whilst I feel 36 I am 73 so need to learn patience
 
We had another bellringer on here from the UK, a few years back. her name was, Klassy. I remember because she was happy when she was able to get back to bellringing again. I wish you comfort and patience as you continue to heal. Have a nice weekend, Abby!
@Abby73
 
I tried bell ringing as a youngster. A distant memory but quite physical, even without those many steps to the belfry! I absolutely love the sound of a peal ringing out on Sunday morning. I imagine you have reasonably strong arms and legs, that should hopefully pay off in the long run.
 
Hi all 5 weeks today since my accident it’s slow old progress for me carers have been stopped as can do most things for myself family and friends still helping with some things luckily
Still have dressing on the wound as it hasn’t healed properly hopefully off on Friday
Managing now with just paracetamol when needed and actually getting out more went to a pub quiz last night!!
Can’t see me walking more than really short distance for a while and driving again feels a long way away but I’m hoping the strength will return quicker
 
Any help with the pain in my upper arm and shoulder caused by using the crutch it’s the other side of the injury
Today I’ve gone back to the walker for support as the shoulder is too painful
 
Hi @Abby73
I'm sorry about your arm and shoulder problem.

Here in the USA we rely much more on a walker than on crutches or a single crutch. To be honest, I think the pain is a reflection of why: using a single crutch promotes overall poor weight bearing structure as we tend to skew unevenly with it. One hip goes higher than the other, causing one shoulder to go lower than the other, and then feet, knees, pelvis, and spine get wonky.

So I recommend using a walker for better weight distribution and structure.
 
Thank you I will definitely be using the walker and hope the arm and shoulder settles, I still need a lot of support to get around, think I’ll take some ibuprofen
 
With hip #1 I had a lot of pain in hands, arms and shoulders. I would swap between crutches and walker too. At least giving everything a rest. I'm also in-between on the correct height for my crutches in relation to adjustment. I would adjust by one button. The small change seemed to help a bit as it created a very slight change in posture. Another thing I noticed, I had a tendency to grip the crutch handle a little too tightly continuously. I practiced relaxing that grip just a little... Still holding firmly but not with all the tension.

A few things I tried that only helped a bit during early recovery. Although it was tough for a while... It gradually got a lot better and as my hip got stronger it took more weight relieving my arms and shoulders.
 
I had a friend visit tonight she helped me adjust my crutches, the physio had set the height but like you we adjusted them one button
Will be swapping between crutches and walker till my leg is stronger, think I’ve probably going faster than my body wants resulting in more pain
I’m reassured that it will get better just need patience
 
I’ve probably going faster than my body wants resulting in more pain
I’m reassured that it will get better just need patience
You're only one month out from your hip pinning, and your body is still doing a lot of healing on the inside, even if it's difficult to notice on a daily basis. Going slow will give your hip the best chance to heal strong and steady. Pace yourself and you'll avoid any setbacks or stints in the ODIC (Over Did It Club) and have the best outcome.
A great rest of the week to you, Abby. :SUNsmile:
 
I’d just keep using the walker if the crutches are giving you shoulder pain.
I could never get the hang of using crutches. When I broke my ankle & had to be non weight bearing for 8 weeks my rolling office chair was my way of getting around the house!
 
I had a friend visit tonight she helped me adjust my crutches, the physio had set the height but like you we adjusted them one button
Just wanted to clarify. My physio also set my crutches and explained I was in-between. I had approval to adjust the height a little so to speak. Generally, they do set the height just right for you but getting it wrong can make things a little uncomfortable. I'm sure the physio would be open to discuss if you have the ability to contact them. Maybe they can offer some specific tips for you?

As a general rule of thumb, the handle is level with the crease of your wrist with a slight bend at the elbow. We're all slightly different when it comes to body shape/arm length though.

I second that the walker is often the most comfortable option. You can also get soft grips to absorb the shock a little. I found that gave me some relief.
 
Hi Abby,
Due to the wide base of support the walker can feel more balanced. Crutches do put more of a strain on your arms wrists and shoulders due to how weight is distributed. Using a walker also requires less upper body strength, so less energy than crutches. Hopefully using the walker for awhile will bring relief to your shoulder and arm. I hope today is a good one so far!
 
The orthopaedic nurse came yesterday to check the wound, she changed the dressing it’s slow to heal it seems
She was surprised to see me on the walker and said she thought I might become dependent on it, she advised me to try a walking stick to encourage me to use the injured leg more.
What I find frustrating is that I’m now having to take painkillers for arm and shoulder pain but not the thigh bone, my friend took me out this morning, I used the crutch for stability but of course am paying for it now
The nurse said it will be 12 weeks post op before there’s proper healing
I don’t think from what I’ve read that there’s much difference between the advice given between England and America but makes for interesting reading
Thanks all for your support
 
Sorry to hear you are in pain again as it sounded like you had found a balance with the walker. I'm scratching my head a little because everything I have been advised points towards using the best support appropriate to the level of weight bearing you specifically need. That is very individual and hard to measure. Put us in a line, same leg, same procedure and same days post op. We are all going to be different. Some needing a walker for a few weeks and others abandoning all aids before the first week is up. I'm still leaning quite heavy on my crutches at 3 weeks post op. I keep trying a light touch, even tried one crutch but I'm just not ready. I have a significant and uncomfortable limp without leaning on the crutches. It's that weight bearing through the arms that causes shoulder and arm pain for me. Personally, I just don't like the walker.

I've heard of people becoming reliant on walking aids because they are nervous of falling and that's another matter. I think it's a case of you knowing your body better than anybody else. You have a range of support aids to pick from. Maybe use what is comfortable to relieve your arm symptoms such as the walker but have a few sessions experimenting with the other aids. Basically keep testing to see if you can manage them without overly stressing your arms and shoulders? The ultimate aim is a graduate towards a comfortable, pain free walk, without a limp.
 
Please don’t worry about becoming dependent on the walker. If you’re putting so much weight on a cane or crutches, then it’s not time to move away from the walker. It provides a good sturdy frame that allows you to practice walking more normally. From what you describe with the crutches, it sounds like you may be limping a bit. This is never good. Trust your assessment of the aid you need right now and use the walker for a bit longer until you’re stronger. You’ve just had major surgery about a month ago….it’s logical that you might still need this extra support.
 
Hi Abby,
You need to remain safe and also comfortable enough to move in a way that's not causing you necessary pain OR putting you at a risk for falling. Each recovery is individual so I wouldn't worry about meeting unrealistic goals and timelines if it doesn't feel right for you. Go with you gut. You don't need that strain and pressure on your upper body. When the nurse offers advice you don't agree with, you can :) and :wink: and then do what you want to do, it's your recovery. Enjoy the weekend, Abby!
@Abby73
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom