Guest viewing is limited

Fractured Neck of Femur/Pinning Dynamic Hip Screw

Hello Layla
10 months from the accident, it’s not improved a lot, walking is still really hard work, walking is pretty tiring and takes an awful lot of effort, and it’s slow, also walking is giving me discomfort in my hips and lower back
It was a major injury I know, but having discomfort still in my left femur, recovering from surgery still on my broken left wrist, and having a right frozen shoulder from everything that’s happened, it seems I only have one fully working limb
So my question is, is there still time for things to improve?
I am noticing that my left leg is now shorter than the other, so that’s not helping
 
I am so sorry, Abby. :console2:
If you're not already involved in physical therapy, can that be a consideration to help work on walking, and any balance issues, which may help with your hip and back discomfort? If your gait is off it can cause limping, favoring one side and increase stress on your hips and lower back. Also, PT can help with the frozen shoulder and your healing broken wrist.
Don't lose hope, there is always room for improvement. You just need to find the resources to help and engaging in, or re-engaging in PT on a regular basis is a good first step.

As far as the leg length differential, consider visiting a reputable podiatrist or PT for a measurement.
Here's an article from our Library Leg length differential - LLD.

If you're feeling stuck and need ongoing support, please don't hesitate to check in. We're here for you, Abby!
@Abby73
 
Recovery is always challenging and unfortunately yours is a triple whammy. We are with you, and here for you anytime.
 
Good morning all, I’m still on a slow recovery path since my accident last August I still have problems walking have been told the only way to improve things is exercise
I go to aqua aerobics weekly and use the treadmill and cycle machine at the gym but can’t do more than half a mile it’s still quite weak, the mornings are worse
This week I was walking my dogs and one of them spotted a cat, trying to restrain them hurt me as I dug in to the pavement to hold on to them and jarred my thigh and leg quite badly, the whole thing is quite scary
I think I had not expected such a slow recovery my wrist surgery went well and is improving a lot, but I now see why the hospital told me the femur is the worst bone to break
 
I'm sorry you were hurt as you tried to restrain your dog, Abby. :console2: I hope the issue it's created resolves quickly.
It's great you're dedicated to your exercise plan. With any luck you begin enjoying some benefits soon.
Hang in there and keep in touch.
@Abby73
 
Hi all am one year on from the surgery just wanted to check in, have been doing ok, but last few days the area when the Dynamic Hip screw is in the thigh is painful on walking not painful like when I broke it but lifting the leg to move, ok when stationery, wondered if I should be concerned
 
Good morning @Abby73
I have no experience with hip screw but I know even after first year of my replacement I’d get some residual aches and pains. Primarily when I overdid it or we had damp weather.
If you are concerned I’d definitely give your doctors office a call on Monday.
Sorry I can't be of more assistance.
 
Hi Abby,
Since you've been doing well up to this point and now there is a change, I advise you contact your surgeon's office and speak to someone on his care team. They can evaluate the situation over the phone and may recommend an office visit to examine you and take an x-ray. Until then, don't push through pain and if you need to use an assistive device until you know what you're dealing with, please do so.
Wishing you the best with hopes it's only something minor like soft tissue irritation. Please keep us posted.
@Abby73
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom