Guest viewing is limited

Fractured Neck of Femur/Pinning Dynamic Hip Screw

I wouldn’t give up the walker. My mantra is if walker is more comfortable to use, then continue to use it. I was on a walker for 4 months. I never felt “ dependent “ on it in the sense that it was like a pharmaceutical drug! I felt “ safe.” And safe is the way you need to be.
 
Thank you all, it’s just lovely to be able to chat with someone who knows the problems and finding out what works for others is really valuable
 
That’s what bonesmart is all about. Sharing our experiences with surgery & recovery. And even though each of our recoveries are as individual as we are we share similarities.
 
Well it’s the start of another week and my progress feels really slow, physio said last week it will take 12 weeks to heal but still dependent on others for lifts as will be a while till I drive
Still need painkillers especially morning and evening
What I d noticed that one day there is improvement then it plateaus for a few days as I overdo stuff
The biggest achievement is walking round the corner to the village shop with a stick and a bag on my shoulder
 
That's uplifting to hear you achieved a walk to your local shop! I think most of us experience those plateaus, recovery rarely follows a nice line upwards, it's that messy line picture often posted. It sounds positive that you can get through the main part of the day without medication!
 
On the days we’re feeling well, we tend to be more active and if you overdo it there can be increased discomfort and swelling the next day. It's all about achieving the right balance and that's not always easy. Your body is still adapting and at this point ups and downs are expected. It's nice you're able to get into the fresh air to the village shop. Enjoy those walks and have a great week, Abby!
@Abby73
 
What I d noticed that one day there is improvement then it plateaus for a few days
Exactly. That's why we say recovery is a roller coaster. The good news is that the "dips" lessen as time passes.

rollercoasterexample-gif.74641



We are here for support whenever you need us.
 
Hi Abby,
You hit two months post op yesterday and we haven't heard from you in a couple weeks. I hope all is well and your progress is steady. Let us know when you have time, we'd love to hear from you.
Wishing you a pleasant week! :thumb:
@Abby73
 
Hi all
I am making progress, saw the physio this morning who worked me hard and gave me exercises, though she told me off for walking without support, she gave me a new stick and she said I had to use it to make sure I walked properly with my whole body.
I explained that I’d given up using stick or crutch as I have ongoing shoulder pain, but physios are the big bosses

I have started driving, feels like a big step towards getting my life back, especially as the cars a manual drive
Not been brave enough to try getting in the bath yet, but my dogs are now back from my sons which is wonderful
Still a long way to go but over the worst of it thank goodness, just have to deal with the shoulder now
Thanks for checking in on me, that’s very kind x
 
I now have so much nhs equipment provided - 2 toilet things, two walking frames - one each for upstairs and downstairs a set of crutches and today a walking stick
I’ll need a van to return them all at the end of all this
 
How great the NHS is helping you in this way. Having the right aids is important and it sounds like you are all set. It’s good to hear you’re making progress. If your shoulder is acting up, it is going to be a fine balance between rest and activity to be sure you don’t make your shoulder worse and still use your walking aids when needed for your hip.
 
she told me off for walking without support, she gave me a new stick and she said I had to use it to make sure I walked properly with my whole body.
Yes, walking aids really do help you recover with a proper gait -- and no limp.

Something else that can help is focusing on a proper heel-toe stride when you are walking. This involves striking the ground with your heel first, then rolling through your heel to your toe, and pushing out of the step with your toe. Here is a visual
1639236580030.jpeg


It's important to slow down and really concentrate through the entire step. It can feel awkward at first, but with practice, will become more natural.

Glad to read that you are driving again. And, I'm sure your dogs are happy to be back with you.
 
I explained that I’d given up using stick or crutch as I have ongoing shoulder pain,
I am sorry for the pain, but it's understandable you only want to relieve the nagging shoulder discomfort. Have you tried any padding on the handle? It may reduce some of that shoulder pain. Also don't forgo using ice or heat. Icing may calm the irritation, and heat can relax tight muscles. Also make sure that the cane is the proper height, if it's too high, or too low it may be straining your shoulder. The handle of the cane should be at wrist level when your arm hangs (relaxed) at your side. Fantastic news on driving agin! It feels wonderful to regain that independence.
A great rest of the week to you! :)
 
Thank you all for your comments, how will padding the handle of the stick help with the arm and shoulder? I am willing to try anything
I had expected to be much further on in my healing by 2 months, I guess my age is against me and my personal pain threshold and being an impatient person!
I need to stop comparing my recover to others, a friend broke her femur and was off painkillers after 2 or 3 weeks, whereas I still need them
Thanks Benne68 I’m going to try concentrating on walking and striding out, see if I can walk without a limp
Sooner I can get rid of the stick the better!
 
I need to stop comparing my recover to others,
Yes. We can never know the complexity of others' injuries/surgeries. No two surgeries -- or recoveries -- are alike. Even two hips in the same person can recover differently (I am an example of that!)

If your shoulders continue to hurt, have your physio take a close look at how you are using the crutches. Are they set to the correct height? Are you leaning too much? Sometimes a few adjustments to your posture can make a big difference.

Hoping you feel better soon.
 
'sub therapeutic level'
I like that phrase, I'm going to try to remember it. So basically we need to keep our meds at a therapeutic level at all times while in recovery. The question is, how long is recovery? I know for my last hip surgery, I was on pain meds for 3 months because the first month I had PT at home, then once I could drive I had to go to 8 weeks of PT outside the home. I needed the pain meds while doing PT. And I'm a whimp so I refuse to suffer. The surgeon told me on Tuesday that if I need the meds he will prescribe them. He doesn't want me to suffer. Sub therapeutic level. Gotta remember that.
 
Even two hips in the same person can recover differently (I am an example of that!)
Your comment stuck out at me. I've been wondering if my left hip surgery will be the same as the right hip surgery. Will the recovery be the same? I'm older now and have gained about 20 lbs since the last hip surgery. I'm sure that will affect my recovery. I'm hoping this surgery and recovery will be better and easier since I have experience now. I know what I need around the house to make life easier so I have that all set up. I know that taking the pain meds to keep ahead of the pain is important. I know that ice will be my best friend.
By the way @Abby73 happy belated birthday!
 
Padding the handles and the softer surface it gives should help you when using the stick (or crutches) by giving you a firmer grip with less tension in your hand and arm muscles as you use it. It’s not a guarantee to make things perfect, but it may help.
 
You cannot compare your recovery to anyone else’s because your body and surgery is as unique as you are. You are still very early in your healing journey.
And my personality didn’t include the Patience gene either but the universe forced it upon me. I listened and obeyed!
Hang in there, you will recover.
 
Hi Abby, I am so sorry to hear about your fall. I fell in January and shattered the neck of my femur. I would not wish that pain on anyone. Hopefully the worst of it is behind you and you will continue to improve.
I found that doing the simplest of exercises got the best results with the least amount of stress and pain. Good luck and I hope the rest of your recovery goes smoothly.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom