Bilateral TKR Driving and Using Narcotics

Hi, I live in Australia and was cleared by my OS to drive at 6 weeks post surgery. He advised that insurance won't cover me prior to 6 weeks.
At the time he cleared me he also told me to go back onto Tapentadol which is an opiod. According to the responses on this thread, I should therefore not be driving, so at this point I am very confused.
 
It would be good to know where to go for definitive answers to this driving question. I too am on tapentadol though still too early to physically be able to drive.
 
I wonder if "cleared to drive" is based on knee function and "should you drive" is based on laws, common sense, circumstances at the time, etc.

My knee might function sufficiently to clear me to drive, but if I'm having a super stiff day where I can't bend it, or a painful day where I need to take narcotics, then I "should not drive" and may have legal repercussions if I do.

When my doc cleared me to drive, he added "when you feel ready". I didn't feel safe/ready until a few days later, so I waited.
 
In my case there was no ambiguity. He told me I could drive home from the consult.
 
I am on day 17 & 21 (right TKR 1/23, left TKR 1/26) and my PT taught me to utilize my arms to aid me in sitting and standing. Today was the first time she had me attempt to try without the use of my arms. However, she did place a pillow on the chair to raise the seat to ease the transition. It was painful but to my surprise I was able to do it 3 times. She recommended not to push the limits and attempt more than that at this time. I think attempting it at 10 days is too soon. You need more recovery time. I am already able to go up and down steps so she was moving on to the next step. I recommend not moving further in therapy until you are ready. I believe its OK to push ourselves a little but too much can be a hinderence on recovery.
 
BTKR on 27 January. Walking without assistance, discharged from rehab on 11 February.
Prescribed Oxycodone CR 10 mgms 2 tabs twice a day plus Endone 5 mgms 1 tab twice a day as required. Time intervals between the two meds not specified. Understand the Oxycodone is Continual/Slow Release over about 12 hours & Endone starts to work in 15-20 mins & lasts about 4 hours.
Surgeon & rehab doctor have cleared me to drive ( 16 days post op) but concerned even though I feel fine if randomly pulled over by police & they find narcotics in my system there may be repercussions, plus if by chance involved in accident, there would be issues of all sorts.....
While the medicos say it is OK, I doubt in reality they wouldn't back me up if something happened while driving....
Your thoughts please.
The OXY ER actually has a label on the bottle that says do not drive or operate heavy machinery. I wouldnt recommend driving while under any pain med. While we tend to feel fine our judgment is impaired. And even a slight impairment or slowed response can cause an accident. Not worth the risk..not worth getting hurt or hurting someone else. Ask a friend Or call a cab for ride. Be safe and speedy successful recovery!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom