Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Driving and Using Narcotics

I think the drug drive rules are very strict over in Oz so unless confirmed by police you can drive I would leave it till you are off medication.
 
Yes, spoke with another therapist who said to use my arms to assist me sitting down & standing up.
Muscle strength in legs is quite good according to surgeon, though have long term muscle wasting in left lower leg.
Definitely need my arms to support me going from standing to sitting & vice versa.
 
Gosh yes I agree with everyone else. I was specifically told to use my arms to help with sitting down and getting up. Dump that physio!
 
Absolutely. You do seem to be given some very odd advice. (Have just read your post about not using your arms when sitting and standing).
 
Oh wow I can't believe your pt is even suggesting no arms at such an early stage, dump the idiot.
 
My OS was clear. For my first knee (left), I was cleared to drive at two weeks -- as long as I wasn't taking any narcotics. For my right knee, I was cleared to drive at three weeks -- as long as I wasn't taking any narcotics. For both knees, I was able to stop taking narcotic pain relievers at that point, so I drove. If your situation requires narcotic pain relief to manage pain, I would recommend NOT driving until you don't need them anymore. You don't want to risk it for yourself or others.
 
No driving while taking pain medication. Plus if you need the meds how are you able to use the pedals adequately? Don't take the risk.
 
You would be charged with a DUI(driving under the influence) if the medication is in your system. It doesn't matter even if it has been prescribed to you.
 
@Descendant,

After my RTHR, my OS said I could drive after I was off the narcotics and had full control of leg without pain or discomfort. This was after about 4 and a bit weeks.

16 days sounds a very short time to go back to driving after BTKR.

Apart from legal issues, there are also insurance and moral issues if you have an accident.

You should also test that you can do a full emergency brake without ANY pain so that you know you can do this in the real world if required.
 
My apologies for this thread & it's subsequent closure. I started it innocently enough as was somewhat confused by my doctors orders re: meds & driving, hence my thought to speak with people who had been there. I guess I made a mistake posting as it must be against guidelines for the nature of it's content. Interesting enough my surgeon at the pre op consult said NO driving till the oxycodone ceased, then at discharge cleared by surgeon & rehab doctor....???
Even my wife can't understand them clearing me under the circumstances.
 
@Descendant

Please don't keep starting new threads.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

I closed your previous thread on this topic, until it could be merged with your original recovery thread. You already had 7 replies on that thread, all agreeing that it would be foolish to drive while taking narcotics. As I'm sure you're well aware, Australia has strict rules about driving while drunk or under the influence.


If you want to ask a new question in your thread, you can tag one of the staff, who will also change your thread title, if you so wish.
Your original recovery thread is here:
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/how-to-sit-and-stand-from-chair.39796/#post-991089

This article tells you how to find your thread and posts:
How can I find my threads and posts?
.
 
As you can see, I have moved all of your posts into the single thread. I changed the title of this thread from Getting up from a chair to the issue of Driving. I can easily change this to Descendant's recovery thread---or whatever you would like.

we keep all posts in one thread so that we can see what has happened before a question is asked. Please keep all of your posts about your recovery in this thread. If you want to change the title just @skigirl tag me!!
 
Sorry. I only just joined. Have made about 5 posts. Have never been on a forum before, so don't understand the jargon & initially in my early post op period simply wanted some help, support & thoughts of other people.
As far as keep starting new threads, the one related to drugs & driving was only the second topic I started, so my mistake.
I don't know what you mean by wanting to change the title & tag me.
Sorry everybody.
 
You tag someone by putting the @ sign before their name, like this @Celle .
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

This might be useful for you, too:
How can I find my threads and posts?


It's OK to talk about your legal, prescription drugs on here. We just don't allow discussion of illegal ones.

The only reasons I can think of that your surgeon gave you the OK to drive are that he either forgot how early you are in recovery (and with bilaterals as well) or he forgot you are still taking heavy-duty narcotics. Perhaps he had a "senior moment".

It's not a good idea to start driving right now - and I think you're correct that your surgeon would probably deny having told you that driving would be OK.

I started driving again at about 5-6 weeks after one TKR. Before I did it, I used to sit in the car and practice moving my feet from one pedal to another. I did a couple of practice emergency stops as well - all with the engine turned off. Then I progressed to a slow test drive, up our long driveway.

I was off the heavy-duty narcotics and my head had cleared from the "brain fog" that afflicts many of us after this surgery.

My personal test to myself was "Am I 120% sure that I would be able to stop in time, if a child ran out in front of my car?" Until I could answer "Yes" to that, I stayed off the road.
 
You and your wife sound as if you both have common sense. Let that guide you and ignore your surgeon's advice this time.
 
Not knowing your laws specifically I personally am shocked! Here it is illegal to drive under the influence of any mind altering medications.
 
I think that Australia is just as strict. That's why we have all disagreed with Descendant's surgeon.
It is not safe to drive while taking heavy-duty narcotics.
 
@Descendant Hi there! Heck you've had a difficult and confusing time of it! I hope the replies you've received here have helped with some of that. It's always tricky when you first join a forum, more so when you've not been on one before. You'll soon get the hang of it though and if you're unsure of anything just ask - everyone's happy to help!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom