Dragonfly's New Knee

Mine said no dental cleaning for 3 months post surgery and antibiotics for life. He also wants antibiotics for dermatology.
 
In the UK we don't take antibiotics for dental work when there's been a replacement and the latest evidence suggests they are unnecessary and the practice is actually dangerous for health. We have had an enormous reduction in prescriptions for antibiotics here because we are rapidly approaching then stage where they are becoming less effective against certain bacteria through overuse. In fact some bacteria have developed which have almost total immunity to current antibiotics.

It seems in the States this idea of antibiotics being given unnecessarily is still being perpetuated and may have dire consequences for us all.
 
My OS also said no dental work for 3 mos. That reminds me I have to reschedule my appt. for cleaning. My scheduled cleaning falls within that timeframe.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
My surgeon said always antibiotics before dental work. Thankfully my dds always requires it and has antibiotics on hand in case I forget ( which is always)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
The U.S. seems to practice medicine from a legally defensive posture, not always what's best for the patient. Sigh.
 
My OS says antibiotics before dental work for life. My dentist and my primary care doctor say they aren't necessary. I will probably not take them.
 
My dentists and I are best buds (this happens when you have as much dental work as I) and they will admit it's probably not necessary. That said, they won't tell me not to if the OS says that's what he wants. The legal system here in the States is such that much medical practice is protection from possible litigation.
 
Ouch! It can happen so fast without us even thinking about it!
 
Went for my 5 wk surgeon check up. He said I was doing great. Insurance will pick up another month of PT.
I have a love/hate relationship with PT but know it's good for me.



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
My PT is pretty awesome; he's trying to figure out a way to conserve some of my remaining PT days as my insurance only covers so many.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
The PT puppies are great. They're PT asst. and I love them. It is sometimes the highlight of my day.
Oh, to be young & energetic and know what I know now.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
We have so much bacteria in our mouths that gets stirred up with a dental cleaning so it's just a precaution.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last OS visit at 3 months, I was asked 5 questions - answered no to all 5 - they gave me a letter for myself/dentist and said it was not necessary for me to take antibiotics prior to dental cleaning. They said there was a change just recently (Nov 2016) in the OS requirements. The questions were like - am I diabetic, has anyone ever told me I have an autoimmune disease...
 
@Dragonfly7, thanks for mentioning the change in requirements. I see my OS next tues so it may be worth asking about.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
The approach used by jaschembra's OS seems very sensible and should ensure antibiotics are not prescribed needlessly.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Dragonfly's New Knee

5 wks post op


Left Partial Knee medial replacement, 3/22/2017, Smith-Nephew Zuk model
 
I had my TKR surgery last Thursday and they sent me home with a prescription of antibiotics. The directions said to take 1 hr. before seeing a dentist. Do this for the next 2 years. Must just depend on where you live.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
That's what we recommend at our dental office.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
We have so much bacteria in our mouths that gets stirred up with a dental cleaning so it's just a precaution.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
But.....it is a very bad practice to take antibiotics "just as a precaution." This is exactly what leads to antibiotic resistant bacteria.

Here on BoneSmart we recognize that surgeons and dentists are all over the map in regard to taking antibiotics prior to procedures. But....as has been pointed out in the links provided in earlier posts.....the latest studies now show it is not necessary to have antibiotics prior to dental work.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom