Dragonfly's New Knee

I delayed my cleaning, about to go at four months post op, but need my antibiotics filled first. My dentist said they will fill in the future but first visit the OS needs to fill.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
My OS wants me to take antibiotics before dental and invasive procedures--he will prescribe the particular one he wants me to use for each scenario-- but that may be because of my RA meds that reduce my immune system a bit.
 
@Dragonfly7
You'll notice that I have merged your thread about dental antibiotics with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. Don't be concerned that you new questions or comments will be missed, because betgween us teh staff read allnew posts every day.
If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.
 
@Dragonfly7 - I have enjoyed reading your posts.

I am having my PKR one week from tomorrow (May 22). I hope my recovery is as good as yours.
 
@4cats1home
Good luck with your 5/22 surgery date!
I've been very pleased with the whole process so far. I'll be 8 wks post op on Wed.
I still have some swelling but I'm wearing a thigh high compression stocking daily and that seems to help.
The first couple of days will seem like they last forever, but, it will get better, promise.
And, it hasn't been near as bad as I has imagined. That was quite a relief as I was really scared and almost talked myself out of surgery several times.
Keep me posted!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
What an inspiration and comfort you are to others! I'm so glad it's not as bad as you feared.
 
Still have pain after PT but thank goodness for ice. I'm on Tramadol now and don't feel much relief. I took it today with Tylenol.
I was at 135 flexion today so guess I'm healing. I'm down to 2 sessions of PT weekly for 2 more weeks then I'm on my own. My brother in law is having a TKR on 5/30 so I'm loaning him all my equipment. Glad it's getting a good home.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
With a flexion of 135, I don't think you need PT any more. Is your extension equally good?
 
Wow, 135! You don't need anymore therapy, you are already there, and then some!
 
Looking good! I am experiencing similar recovery. Makes me feel ok about going with a PKR.
 
135 is fantastic. Good for you! Hope I'm doing that great when I get to 8 weeks!!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
with a bilateral TKR they figure 120 is good... if you get more it's OK but they shoot for zero as in straight and 120 degrees on the bend. 135 is like time for PT graduation and keep up the efforts at home... [emoji13][emoji13][emoji13]


Sent from my iPad
 
Last edited by a moderator:
My PKR was 3/22/17
I work in a dental office and know that joint replacements require antibiotics before dental procedures, including your cleaning.
Surgeons differ on the amount of time you need to do this. Mine hasn't mentioned it at all yet.
What have your doctors told you?
Just curious.


Left Partial Knee medial replacement, 3/22/2017, Smith-Nephew Zuk model

My OS & PA told me at my last appointment (3 months post Bilateral TKR). They said for sure 2 years after surgery antibiotics an hour before appointment and to be safe do it every time.
I have a friend with Lupus who has had her knees replaced twice and she recently went to get a tattoo and just as a precautionary measure she took antibiotics before she had the tattoo placed.



Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I have a love/hate relationship with PT. While my numbers are good, both flexion & extension, my goal is to build my quads to protect my joint. PT makes me do strengthening that I may not do otherwise.



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom