Dragonfly's New Knee

I'm in Virginia and we have some great hiking. I'm looking forward to doing that again, too.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @Dragonfly7. I'm in Virginia, too. I love hiking up along Skyline Dr. I usually camp on Loft Mountain. I was able to hike a little bit last mid-October. I took my ice machine, ice water circulator, and got a handicapped spot where I could have electric to keep my ice machine running. I was amazing at how well I did on a knee that was only
4 1/2 months old! Another good hiking place is Pocahontas State Park where it is more level. Do you have a favorite place you hike?
 
I'm in Roanoke. We have the Parkway here and the Appalachian Trail, too. I'm very excited about walking & biking our 20 miles of greenway again.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I hiked a small part of the Appalachian Trail last year up in the Shenandoah National Park. I love the mountains. I couldn't wait to get back on those trails. I did find that you have to be very care of the loose rocks. I took two hiking poles with me, but still didn't feel secure and went back to two canes. There is still a huge fear of falling. I also found that going up the trails were much easier than going down them.

Roanoke is a beautiful area. I'm SE of Richmond, so the land here is flatter. It's good to start out hiking on, but sure doesn't do the spirit good like the mountains! I bet by mid-summer you'll be running up and down those trails! Where is the greenway? We have High Bridge State Park near Farmville that has taken an old railway and made a bike trail out of it. There are supposed to be many of these all over the country. It's easy riding and no powered vehicles, so it's no worry of cars! Happy recovery!
 
The greenway is throughout the city and runs along the river so it's mostly flat and paved. That will be my first 'hiking' and biking goal.
Tonight my knee is being fussy....maybe it's all the rain we're having.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I am now post 3 months and 2 weeks I believe.. I have resumed hiking 5 miles daily. Some days more.. roughly 10,000 or more steps a day. It's doable, I had bilateral 1/10/17. I stress this though.. be careful, go slowly, build up to your goal.
auploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20170424_71e8931103c410d062970616719c0061.jpg

This is huge for me... being able to hike on earth day and pick up trash. [emoji854] it's the little things that make me happy!


Sent from my iPad
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Wow @Kathi 777
You're doing wonderful at 3.5 months! Are you swelling or having pain at 3 months?
I'm looking forward to walking outside again. It used to be one of my fav things to do. Before surgery, halfway through the grocery store was about my limit.
We have a big music festival in late July and my goal is to dance!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Dragonfly7. No not having much pain at all...I take Aleve in the am. No swelling at all... I think that's because I am active and drink plenty of water. You should be in fine shape by July! Positive attitude and keep moving!


Sent from my iPad
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Weather affected my knee for months. It's much better now. The older your new knee gets, the less you'll feel the weather. Lefty still lets me know a storm is coming, but my new knee is wonderful! I've recently gone off of my Diclofenac, so it's a little stiff, but it's rest of me is complaining with more pain than my knee is!

The greenway sounds perfect for a good starting point. I wish we had something like that around here. All we have is either rural roads or loads of traffic in the cities! The only bike paths are the 'rails to trails' I was telling you about. And that's 1 1/2 hours away. I do ride in my neighborhood, which I'm so thankful I can do now!
 
Went to see chiropractor yesterday for back pain. Among other things, he recommends getting up ever 20-30 min at work (I sit at a desk) and do a gentle squat type exercise X5 using my doorframe for support. My back is feeling a bit better already.
I also have an app on my iPhone that chimes every 25 min to remind me to move.
Goal is to strengthen gluts & quads to support knee & back.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
[Bonesmart.org] Dragonfly's New Knee

This little bike has been great on non PT days at work. I use a couple of minutes in the am and pm daily.


Left Partial Knee medial replacement, 3/22/2017, Smith-Nephew Zuk model
 
Not a good day:-(
Overdid the squats, slept poorly, late for PT, speeding ticket on the way.
Pooh!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
My PKR was 3/22/17
I work in a dental office and know that joint replacements require antibiotics before dental procedures, including your cleaning.
Surgeons differ on the amount of time you need to do this. Mine hasn't mentioned it at all yet.
What have your doctors told you?
Just curious.


Left Partial Knee medial replacement, 3/22/2017, Smith-Nephew Zuk model
 
Mine has, it was mentioned in the packet from the OS when I scheduled the surgery and my discharge papers from the hospital.
Years ago broke my ankle and have pins in it. The OS who did that surgery never mentioned it. My sister in law is a dental hygienist and mentioned it. It is a bit of a nuisance.
Thanks for the information since not all have mentioned it.



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Squats are awful for a new knee. Bummer on that speeding ticket. Please read the recovery guidelines for a much better and less painful recovery.
 
We don't usually pre-med for pins as they're not in a joint.
But, docs differ on this.
Some say for 2 yrs, some say for life.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@sistersinhim not a full squat just a bit of a squat.
I did too many...that was the problem. PT told me today to get up every 20-30 min, move a bit but not to do the squats every time until I'm better healed.
Yesterday, I accidentally put all my weight getting into bed on my new knee in the bent position... I won't make that mistake again.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom