Guest viewing is limited

Hinged Joint Double PKR and MCL replacement a year later

Hi Rosa. My TKR knee is doing great! Unfortunately, I need the left one replaced, but I have more pressing things to worry about at the time. I had birth defects in both knees, that is why I've had so many surgeries, but BoneSmart has given me a way to share my experience by helping others through their journeys. I'm here to help as much as I can. Ask away!

Since you aren't on any prescription anti-inflammatories, Ibuprofen should be fine. But, be sure you aren't taking any asprins with it. Asprin is also and NSAID, (anti-inflammatory).
 
That's great news and thank you for your help. I'm elevating more because of your post. I don't take any other anti-inflammatories, but I do take herbs and supplements. Things like Turmeric and Cat's Claw are natural anti-inflammatories and I'd like to make my way back to them as soon as possible. But I'll check them out = using them in conjunction with the ibuprofen.

I hope you're able to get the left TKR before it gets too painful, but you'll have plenty of experience to go by.
 
@Rosadogrose …. Be sure you are coordinating any supplements you’d like to take with your primary doctor. Often because they can be purchased over the counter, people don’t realize that there can be reactions with one supplement and another or with prescription medications. Your doctor and pharmacist will be the best ones to be sure whatever you are taking does not have this risk.
 
Thank you, Jamie. I've been sent home from hospital with various drugs prescribed for me in hospital and instructions for each. I don't have to take them all, but I could if I wanted to, according to the hospital pharmacist. I'm just taking two painkillers at the moment along with a blood thinner and that seems to be good enough. I prefer to use herbs and supplements, but have suspended most of those for the moment until I get off these other meds. Thank you for taking an interest.
 
Some fairly clear fluid has appeared on my bandage (waterproof) overnight in addition to the old blood stains. The knee isn't unexpectedly swollen or red and my temperature is normal. I think the pain as about where it should be, but that's a guess. I will phone the SWATT. team in the morning (middle of the night now), but any views or experiences are welcome.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Double PKR and MCL replacement a year later
    Photo on 03-02-2026 at 03.40.webp
    109.2 KB · Views: 22
Hello Rosa,
I believe that is called serous fluid, which is usually clear or pale yellow and watery. However it's always best, and I do recommend, that you check with your surgeon's care team to see if you can send them a close-up of the soiled bandage and answer any questions they have for you. Doing so will put your mind at ease. Recovery can be a challenge and we need to protect our peace. :wink: The fact that there is no increased swelling, redness or fever are good signs.
I hope you have a good day!:SUNsmile:
@Rosadogrose
 
Thank you , Layla. That's reassuring. I did phone the SWATT orthopaedic follow-up team this morning and sent them a picture. They said the same as you, asked some questions (was I running a fever, did I feel poorly, etc - no I am not and don't) and then said the photo looked quite normal and it wasn't infected. They're coming tomorrow to take out the stitches, so I'll have more input then. Meantime, your message was reassuring.
 
Thank you, Jockette. I have been reading others' histories.

I would like some guidance about this. I'm almost at week three after TKR revision op. My main problem is pain in three areas. a) outside of knee. I understand this can be Ilio band syndrome and I had the same pain but not this bad before the op. Has anyone had this and what did you do about it?
2). Ankle - gets very swollen quickly when I put. weight on it. I ice and elevate and this helps temporarily but not for long.
3). Muscles in front of knee. I had a tourniquet and understand this can cause muscle pain afterwards. It runs right up my quads. I massaged it lightly last night but seem to have made it worse.

On the plus side my range of movement is good: 0/110 and the nurse says my scar is very good, though it still feels tight and I think it looks awful. It is dry and healing quite quickly.

For pain relief I'm taking paracetamol every six hours and today reinstated my turmeric and quercetin which I had to stop because they thin the blood.

Any views on any of this would be so welcome. I had to stop ibuprofen because I'd taken it for two weeks with the paracetamol (along with the stomach protection pill).

Many thanks!
 
Taking ibuprofen and paracetamol, (Tylenol), together is fine. Ibuprofen is an NSAID and paracetamol is not. Unless your doctor has told you not to take them at the same time, you should be fine do so. Always go by what your medical team says!
 
Thank you, sistersinhim. The nurse was only making the point that ibuprofen isn't good for you longer term - it's hard on the liver particularly. She said I could take it. if necessary and some nights I do take it with the paracetamol.
 
My main problem is pain in three areas. a) outside of knee. I understand this can be Ilio band syndrome and I had the same pain but not this bad before the op. Has anyone had this and what did you do about it?
2). Ankle - gets very swollen quickly when I put. weight on it. I ice and elevate and this helps temporarily but not for long.
3). Muscles in front of knee. I had a tourniquet and understand this can cause muscle pain afterwards. It runs right up my quads. I massaged it lightly last night but seem to have made it worse.

You are very early days in this recovery, and what you are describing in terms of pain is really normal for someone who is less that 3 weeks post-op. Remember that all the muscles, ligaments and tendons are "traumatized" during surgery. They are pulled and pushed and stretched and, as they slowly heal, you can experience pain up and down your leg -- from your hip to your ankle.

It just takes time -- usually 10-12 weeks -- for those soft tissues to recover. There's nothing you can do to rush the process. Everything will heal with time. Since massaging the thigh muscle made it feel worse, you might try some heat on the thigh muscle -- just keep it well away from the knee because you don't want to cause more swelling.

As for the ankle swelling: how often and how long are you icing and elevating?
 
Thank. you, benne68. That's reassuring. Because I;ve had two previous failed surgeries I think I'm panicking with the pain. It really does hurt!

I'm elevating three times a day 30-40 minutes and icing five or six times a day 20 minutes.
 
@Rosadogrose … you might want to take something in addition to the Paracetomol for pain for a while. It’s really important in these early days to stay on top of your pain to minimize swelling. Proving your medical team approved the continuing use of ibuprofen, I suggest you try adding that for a couple of days and see if that helps.
 
elevating three times a day 30-40 minutes and icing five or six times a day 20 minutes

I encourage you to increase the length of your icing sessions because 20 minutes really isn't long enough to be effective. We recommend 45-50 minutes of icing -- and that you do it while elevating. Again, at less than 3 weeks post-op, you will benefit from more frequent and longer sessions.

At your stage of recovery, I spent most of my day on the couch with my lounge doctor and icing machine: 45-50 minutes on, then 10-15 walking around the house with a trip to the bathroom or kitchen or both, and then back to the couch.

You can't ice and elevate too much during the first month. :wink:
 
For the first couple of months I iced and elevated the whole time I was sitting or lying down. As long as you have a thin cloth between your leg and the ice source, you can't over ice. Reducing the pain and swelling is the main benefit of iceing and elevating. I found it quite helpful!
 
Thank you. I spent much of today elevating and icing and do feel better with less pain. I can't quite as much as I'd like because I'm widowed now and still have to do things for myself my husband would have done. But I do have carers come in twice a day for half an hour. I appreciate this good advice.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom