Guest viewing is limited

Hinged Joint Double PKR and MCL replacement a year later

@Legseleven! I've just read your story and regret not finding it sooner. Aside from both living in England we have a lot in common. First there's the revisions. Do you have a date? I will be sending my very best thoughts and wishes on the day and all days around it.

Then there's your post-op story itself - very like mine. Full of determination, planning, consultation, effort - and then disappointment. It can be so hard when your knee deteriorates in the face of such effort and so many hopes and wishes. I felt that I used all my resources, replenished many times, and so longed to be able to do simple things without a lot of pain.

I am also decluttering, with a similar strategy - one unit per day. I love books, house is full of them, and despite the one in one out policy, the lists of inviting new ones defeat me. I suspect that your decluttering methods are more advanced than mine. And fuel prices: our village is on oil and my tank refill, limited to 500 litres, was not guaranteed and when it did come was twice the price of the previous month.

Two practical thoughts. I do have the inflatable leg raiser you showed the link to and the nurse was impressed with it. It has stood me in good stead through all three operations (and I forgot - I also had the bilateral partial, but it was my right knee that failed). It isn't as steady as a foam or latex one, but the height is really good and on a flat, steady surface like a bed or sofa it works well, I think. Hopefully you will be packing it away before too long, but I have found icing and elevation a keystone. Second, my left leg/knee was doing so much work (and I was grateful for it) that it suffered, especially in the later months. I found that using a soft brace (I can show you which ones I used if you like) both before and after the revision op helped it and now that the right knee has been revised the left knee has recovered quite a bit, not having to do so much work.

I will certainly follow your progress now that I know your story and send you my very best wishes. Please get in touch if you want to compare more notes.
 
Then there's your post-op story itself - very like mine. Full of determination, planning, consultation, effort - and then disappointment. It can be so hard when your knee deteriorates in the face of such effort and so many hopes and wishes. I felt that I used all my resources, replenished many times, and so longed to be able to do simple things without a lot of pain.
I’ve also been in this position, though after 3 second opinions, no fixable options have been offered.
I think these surgeries have become so cookie cutter that when one doesn’t fit the profile we are put in limbo!
For me, this has been true.
 
What a thoughtful note to Legseleven, Rosadogrose! It is members like you that make the forum such a special place for those struggling and in need of comfort, or just sharing tips and offering support in general.
I hope you have a lovey week! :flwrysmile:
@Rosadogrose
 
Today marks three months to date since your revision. Wishing you continued healing and many moments where you feel confident in your progress and reflect on the good things to come!
Happy Anniversary and best wishes always!
@Rosadogrose
 
How kind, Layla. Thank you. Yes, I'm pleased to say that my progress continues. I sometimes get discomfort on the outside of my knee which I understand is referred from the glutes being tight. Hand massage and small machine massage help this. And still some kneecap stiffness. But the improvements keep creeping up on me. Today I haven't used anything to assist me and no knee braces for a week or more. I don't need to sit down nearly so much. Still tend to overdo a bit.

Just after the first of my three operations I was diagnosed with a rare autoimmune illness called scleroderma. The diagnosis was first from a blood test and then from clinical symptoms. I refused the immunosuppressants they wanted to give me as my symptoms are fairly minor and don't seem to be very progressive. They don't know what causes it but today I found a study which proposes that hypothyroidism can set in after knee replacement surgery. I know from my body's history that I"m prone to subclinical hypothyroidism. Other studies propose that hypothyroidism is linked to scleroderma. I now have a possible way forward because I have very good supplements for the thyroid. I post this here in case any one else has had a similar experience.

Thanks so much for your support, Layla.
 
Thanks for the update, Rosa!
It sounds like you're making good progress. I do hope through your research and supplementation you're able to manage any symptoms and halt the progression of scleroderma. Thanks for sharing the interesting information on the possible connections between hypothyroidism, TKR and scleroderma. It may be useful information to another forum member one day.
I wish you the best as you continue healing, and hope you have a lovely Spring / Summer 2026!
@Rosadogrose
 
Happy Four Month Anniversary, Rosa!
I hope you continue to make steady progress and you're enjoying Spring so far.
Four months behind you and many more active / happy moments to come. Wishing you a great week!
@Rosadogrose
 
Hi Rosadogrose,
It's been six months since your revision. Happy Six Month Anniversary!
We hope you're doing well, feeling stronger each month, your recovery continues to move in the right direction and you're getting back to all of the activities that bring you joy. We'd love to hear from you soon!
@Rosadogrose
 
:hi: Hi there,
Checking in on this milestone to see how your Summer has been and whether you're pleased with your progress so far? We'd love to hear from you and know that you're doing well. Hope to read an update soon!
Happy Seven Month Anniversary!
@Rosadogrose
 
Stopping by to say Hi and wish you a beautiful Autumn season, Rosa.
Hopefully you're healing up well since your revision.
Warmest wishes as you hit this milestone. Happy Eight Month Anniversary!
@Rosadogrose
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom