Guest viewing is limited

Double hippie January 30, hopefully by 2:00!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@opie As the song goes "You've Only Just Begun"

I'm jealous of you. I only had one hip done, but couldn't get into my shower for two weeks because I have a bath/shower combo and I had to raise my leg about 10" to get in.

I remember a few days after surgery looking at my leg and being totally shocked at how black and blue it was all the way down my lower leg. I sent my daughter a picture and she was shocked as well. But it will a go away. Have no fear!!

I think you're doing great. Keep reminding yourself you're just s few days out from major surgery. Rest, Ice and Elevate, and take your Pain Meds as prescribed. Your body needs to heal. Force yourself to do as little as possible. At least for a few more weeks.

I cried one evening being in pain, frustrated, sick of being patient. The last time I cried was 3 years previous when my dogs died.

I'm single, independent and hated feeling unable to meet all my needs. Thank God my next door neighbor helped me, driving me to Dr. appointments, picking up prescriptions, bringing me
groceries.

I had no idea how extensive a recovery it would be. But tonight I went to a Superbowl party and was more mobile than last year when I went to the same party.

Be kind to yourself - listen to your body and give it what it needs. Treat yourself the same way you would nurse a child recovering from major surgery. I hope tomorrow is a better day for you.


@baclectic. I read your message in the middle of the night last night. Thank you very much. Today I must stick to everything I know. We, in recovery must listen to our bodies and truly follow the lead. For what ever reason, I had a little set back day. I will treat myself well and get some good rest.
 
Don't forget about Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it Recovery can be a bit overwhelming and frustrating. Don't get discouraged. Remember that all this is very temporary. A few weeks for a lifetime of pain free living.

Early days for you @opie ! You are doing well!

@Jaycey, it really does help to have these reminders. My brain knows this ( as I've read the research you all sent me over and over ) but in the moment I think too much and think I should be doing better. Much appreciated reassurance.
 
You're on the right track. You sound like me. Up and down. I'm trying to realize I can't move forward ever single day. I act like a big shot cuz I am using only a cane then I notice my leg is all swollen and I haven't iced all day. That's a lot of exercising you're doing. No wonder you hurt. It's so early in recovery. Be good to yourself.
 
You're on the right track. You sound like me. Up and down. I'm trying to realize I can't move forward ever single day. I act like a big shot cuz I am using only a cane then I notice my leg is all swollen and I haven't iced all day. That's a lot of exercising you're doing. No wonder you hurt. It's so early in recovery. Be good to yourself.


Agree! I know I am making progress, but some "chunks of time" I struggle and or stay the same. Day 9... showered and got out of bed unassisted. Whee! I was a little light headed after the shower, no big deal cause it's not like I'm going anywhere! I just sat down and waited until it passed.


rid=75543
 
it sounds like you both are doing very well. I hope I do near as well after my R THR on March 7th. fingers crossed.
 
it sounds like you both are doing very well. I hope I do near as well after my R THR on March 7th. fingers crossed.

@Cherdonnay. You will be great! I really feel the weeks prior to surgery were the hardest. The night before and morning of, I was strangely calm! Just so ready. I have hope that I'm getting my life back. This forum and the caring people helped so much. Many times in the middle of the night, I would grab my phone and read and ask questions. I always get great support. Stay in touch.
 
Glad to hear you're making headway in your recovery already @opie. How are you finding the days passing? Are you bored during the day at this point? I don't go in until the end of March for my surgery, but the time afterwards is my biggest unknown... right now I have a hard time sitting for more than 45 minutes at a time without feeling restless... so the whole idea of being confined to my chair binge watching Netflix while I recover is daunting to me.
 
@Cherdonnay. You will be great! I really feel the weeks prior to surgery were the hardest. The night before and morning of, I was strangely calm! Judy so ready. I have hope that I'm getting my life back. This forum and the caring people helped so much. Many times in the middle of the night, I would grab my phone and read and ask questions. I always get great support. Stay in touch.


Hey Opie

Congrats!! Can't wait to be where you are. Had LTHR Dec 15 8 weeks ago today.... doing great as far as new hip it's getting stronger every day! Problem of course as you know hip #2 also has bone on bone end stage OA so my enthusiasm on hip 1 tempered by the ongoing pain in right side.

The original plan with my OS was to do right side in the fall. After meeting with PA a few weeks ago and advice I have received here I've decided to speed that timetable up. Can't wait to be a double hippie and get my life back!! So, yesterday we scheduled #2 for April 27 --11 weeks from today.

Seems far away but with work and other things it's the best I could do. I want to walk into my sons HS graduation June 9 cane free and pain free!!! I've been watching your thread carefully for encouragement and advice. Please chime in as much as you can.

We got this!! I'm excited to be my old self again. This has consumed my life. I want the fun carefree and painfree Chuckster back ASAP. [emoji1360]
 
@confusednewb I hear what you are saying. So first of all I have a nest around me of things to do. Netflix has been a big help. Because you are not a female I'm not sure what to suggest, but for me I have a journal, stationary, plenty of pens, Sudoko, heating pad, playing cards, lotion, nail files, books etc. however! About every 45-60 minutes, get up, use the bathroom and by the time you do that you are ready to get back in your chair. Getting in your chair is also time consuming.. getting ice back on, pillow under knee. Then do it all over again. It has been really useful to me to write everything down. I use a yellow legal pad as a running record with times and dates. When and how much meds, exercises completed, nurse calls, PT appointments etc. also a note on how the day was. I also spent a lot of time on this forum day and night reading, giving input and asking questions. Hope this helps.
 
@chuckster. I commend you for getting that 2 hip done ASAP. My first was 8 years ago and had very minor problems with my left hip until 6 months ago. I literally woke up with debilitating pain. I'm very humbled that you are dealing with surgery pain and the pain of a damaged hip. You are a rock star in my book.

I so understand wanting to get your life back! Can't wait to get back out there and have that person I've always dreamed I would be, be there, playing, participating in sports, outdoor life and all of it pretty much pain free.

Great, cool goal to walk at your son's graduation!
 
@opie, you're doing well! I love your "nest" of things to do! My family thought I was crazy for doing this, but it was good for them also because I wasn't having them fetch me things right and left. This recovery is two steps forward and one step back for most of us. I have a high tolerance for pain, so not much bothered me after the surgery. I took pain meds for a short while and then I just didn't need them. But I am not against anyone taking pain meds. Whatever works for you is normal and fine and no one should tell you otherwise! After my first hip replacement, I kept the leftover pain meds and they came in awfully handy when I fell and couldn't walk because of the pain. On days that I overdo things, I still elevate and ice - and I'm 18 weeks post op. :blush:
 
@opie How are you doing? Hope all is well!

@Jaycey. Things are going real good on this 13th day post op! I have referred to the post op articles on a regular basis and follow them faithfully. Today, I took my first trip out to watch our local ski hill. Got home and passed out in my chair for 2 hours as if I went up and down that hill myself! I knew it was normal! to be this exhausted. Thanks for checking in and caring. What a blessing you all have been.
 
@opie, you're doing well! I love your "nest" of things to do! My family thought I was crazy for doing this, but it was good for them also because I wasn't having them fetch me things right and left. This recovery is two steps forward and one step back for most of us. I have a high tolerance for pain, so not much bothered me after the surgery. I took pain meds for a short while and then I just didn't need them. But I am not against anyone taking pain meds. Whatever works for you is normal and fine and no one should tell you otherwise! After my first hip replacement, I kept the leftover pain meds and they came in awfully handy when I fell and couldn't walk because of the pain. On days that I overdo things, I still elevate and ice - and I'm 18 weeks post op. :blush:

Good for you! I go to my first post op appointment on Monday. I'm anxious to see how he thinks I am doing and to ask a few questions about my surgery. It's sometimes hard to believe that I'm truly a double hippie and all that is behind me. How about you?
 
Nap as much as you can @opie ! You are still very much in healing mode.

Let us know how your appointment goes on Monday.
 
I've been having very bad heel pain at night. I know what it is, but not sure how to get rid of it until I can sleep on my side. I will see my surgeon tomorrow, but wonder if I can sleep in another position besides my back. I use a pillow under my legs to keep them up off the sheets, put antibiotics cream and bandaids. Any other ideas! I can't really see my heels, my husband said they were just a little red. Ugh.
 
I had heel pain post both THRs. What worked for me was blister bandages. Can you get them in the US?
[Bonesmart.org] Double hippie January 30, hopefully by 2:00!
The brand here is Compeed. Use the heel bandage and leave it on until it falls off. You can also fold a towel and put it under your ankles so your heels don't touch the bed.
 
I've been having very bad heel pain at night. I know what it is, but not sure how to get rid of it until I can sleep on my side. I will see my surgeon tomorrow, but wonder if I can sleep in another position besides my back. I use a pillow under my legs to keep them up off the sheets, put antibiotics cream and bandaids. Any other ideas! I can't really see my heels, my husband said they were just a little red. Ugh.
What worked for me was a foam mattress pad that had an uneven surface, kinda like an egg carton? I cut the pad down to make a sort of mat to put under my heels when I was in bed. Worked wonders.
 
I had heel pain post both THRs. What worked for me was blister bandages. Can you get them in the US?
[Bonesmart.org] Double hippie January 30, hopefully by 2:00!
The brand here is Compeed. Use the heel bandage and leave it on until it falls off. You can also fold a towel and put it under your ankles so your heels don't touch the bed.

Thanks! I'm sending someone to get this for me.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Back
Top Bottom