Double hippie January 30, hopefully by 2:00!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good to hear you are doing well. I totally agree with you on the xrays/MRI stuff. It seems like a lot of doctors look at them and don't listen to us. They cant imagine that it might not show the whole story.:censored:

Be safe getting home! :scaredycat:
 
Have a safe trip home.
 
I'm good. I'm home. Elevating, resting, icing. Didn't sleep much in the hospital so doing a lot of that today. I am not full weight bearing yet. My leg will let me know. Walker to
the bathroom and back. Cane for the stairs is a lifesaver. Forgot to write on my own page .
 
Trip home was ok. Got in the car ok, but forgot the ice. The first 2 hours were ok. I got out of the car two times, but couldn't walk because of the snow. I was stiff and very timid when trying to get out of the car. We stopped and got ice. That really helped. When we pulled in the driveway I was elated! The trip in went ok and I went straight to the bathroom. Got in my recliner exhausted. Then I was so cold I started to shake. Oh my muscles were contracting and I was a bit scared. My husband helped me elevate my leg and covered me in blankets with a heating pad. I finally stopped shaking. I hope that does not happen again. Fell to sleep for about an hour. Whew. Very tiring.
 
Oh man! So glad you are home but sorry you got the silly shakes. I tended to have them once a day for the first few days. Usually when I got a bit chilly like after my shower or first thing in the morning.
Get lots of rest when you can and use those ice packs.:ice:
 
@opie Please don't worry about this shaky feeling. Your body has been through trauma and you were exhausted. Your husband did the right thing - get you warm and comfy. Keep your fluids up and rest as much as you can.
 
@opie Please don't worry about this shaky feeling. Your body has been through trauma and you were exhausted. Your husband did the right thing - get you warm and comfy. Keep your fluids up and rest as much as you can.

@opie finally on day 4 got into bed with a pillow below my knee and a few behind my back. So, a nurse in the hospital told my husband that I was using too much ice! She said it will restrict the blood flow and inhibit healing. Sigh, he's been fighting the ice thing every time I try to use it! I am doing 30 on 30 off, but want it more. What do you think?
 
Hmmm I have not heard that one before. I used ice pretty much 24/7 the first week. Well I guess not really as I took a ice pack to bed with me and slept for like 4 hours before getting a new one, so the first one would be warm when I woke. Everyone on here from all I have read has said that 20 to 30 mins of ice doesn't do a lot. It takes at least 40 to 45 mins for it to work for me. And I am healing up surprisingly fast, in my opinion. :)

Oh and another thought, at the hospital I had two ice packs the whole time I was there, and every time I asked for them to be replaced the nurses just got me more.
 
I am doing 30 on 30 off, but want it more. What do you think?
I think that nurse doesn't have a clue. Ice is a natural pain killer. It addresses the swelling that is causing your pain. And 30 minutes isn't going to do it. Jo always recommends 40-60 minutes several times per day.

I too icing 24/7 post RTHR. I started the first day in hospital and kept icing for nearly 4 weeks. Tell hubby to take a chill pill - ice is fine to use!
 
I have my ice on more than off to try and get this swelling down and keep it down. It's only day 4 so we need to give ourselves a break.
 
I have my ice on more than off to try and get this swelling down and keep it down. It's only day 4 so we need to give ourselves a break.


Agree @misread. Even though I told my self I wasn't going to stress out on taking pain meds, I kind of did today. I'm doing everything suggested and just need reassurance that I don't have to back off on the pain meds yet as it's only day 4. My entire body is so sore.
 
@opie, I was on a big dose of an opioid pain reliever for 4 full weeks, round the clock, before I started weaning off. My pain was well-controlled, and I had no trouble during the week when I weaned down to no pain meds. Some people get off of them sooner, others take longer. It all depends on how much pain you have. Be kind to yourself! Your body has been through a major trauma with hip replacement surgery!
 
@opie, I was on a big dose of an opioid pain reliever for 4 full weeks, round the clock, before I started weaning off. My pain was well-controlled, and I had no trouble during the week when I weaned down to no pain meds. Some people get off of them sooner, others take longer. It all depends on how much pain you have. Be kind to yourself! Your body has been through a major trauma with hip replacement surgery!

Thanks @Krista. I just needed to hear more people speaking out on pain management issues
 
Major goal reached! I got in bed at 10:00 last night. Used lots of pillows behind my head and one length ways on surgery leg. My husband helped me up at 12:30 3;30 and 6:30 for pain meds and ice. It felt really good and I think it will help my body stiffness/ soreness.
 
@opie I took pain Meds for a long time. I was in a lot of pain. Then I weaned off slowly, reducing the amount I took each day. Not a big deal.

If you are hurting, take the pain pills around the clock until you are not in much pain, then taper off. Good luck to you - listen to your body and give it what it needs.

I iced round the clock - at least 60 min. at a time. I had 3 large gel packs that I alternated.
 
@opie I took pain Meds for a long time. I was in a lot of pain. Then I weaned off slowly, reducing the amount I took each day. Not a big deal.

If you are hurting, take the pain pills around the clock until you are not in much pain, then taper off. Good luck to you - listen to your body and give it what it needs.

I iced round the clock - at least 60 min. at a time. I had 3 large gel packs that I alternated.


@ baclectic, thanks for reassuring me.
 
@ baclectic, thanks for reassuring me.


Another hurdle, day 5 post op. I got into the shower! Up until now just washcloth baths. I have a walk in shower with no grab bars. The bench in the corner is too low. My husband got everything set up and the water started. I walked in without problems and washed my hair ( oh man!) and I did a quick wipe down and out I went. Standing unassisted wasn't that bad. I'm a whole new woman!
 
:wowspring:Look at you!! Two hurdles down!! That first shower is heavenly!:tada:
 
Well, day 6 post op not so good. I did my usual walks across the house to the bathroom and my foot pumps, thigh squeezes, gluteal squeezes. But I had more pain today. Also looks a little more swollen, black and blue and sore. Just not a good day overall. Had a little crying spell today. Need someone's opinion on this.
 
@opie As the song goes "You've Only Just Begun"

I'm jealous of you. I only had one hip done, but couldn't get into my shower for two weeks because I have a bath/shower combo and I had to raise my leg about 10" to get in.

I remember a few days after surgery looking at my leg and being totally shocked at how black and blue it was all the way down my lower leg. I sent my daughter a picture and she was shocked as well. But it will a go away. Have no fear!!

I think you're doing great. Keep reminding yourself you're just s few days out from major surgery. Rest, Ice and Elevate, and take your Pain Meds as prescribed. Your body needs to heal. Force yourself to do as little as possible. At least for a few more weeks.

I cried one evening being in pain, frustrated, sick of being patient. The last time I cried was 3 years previous when my dogs died.

I'm single, independent and hated feeling unable to meet all my needs. Thank God my next door neighbor helped me, driving me to Dr. appointments, picking up prescriptions, bringing me
groceries.

I had no idea how extensive a recovery it would be. But tonight I went to a Superbowl party and was more mobile than last year when I went to the same party.

Be kind to yourself - listen to your body and give it what it needs. Treat yourself the same way you would nurse a child recovering from major surgery. I hope tomorrow is a better day for you.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Back
Top Bottom