Guest viewing is limited

TKR Doreen’s Post Op journey

Thanks @katchmo. I’m gonna try at night.

I woke up often last night. Struggling with some extended family stuff but my body was very relaxed so I didn’t mind waking so often. It was a good time to pray and keep letting go of some things. I did wake up a little early and so I got up and got my shower before church. Then I sat at the computer for a while and did some journaling. Then went to church. My knee was a bit tender to walk on and I could feel it swelling so once I got in church I had the pew to myself and rested my leg up. Came home and put ice on it and elevated and took a nap. Now getting ready to go have a bite to eat.

Hope all had a happy resurrection day ️
 
How wonderful that you made it to church on this Easter Sunday! Putting the leg up on the pew was a really good idea! That helped to keep the swelling down!
 
Sleep has been weird. Can’t sleep at night sleep several times in the day. Woke at 539 this morning and went into my office where I sorted some paperwork and cut down some boxes and even quilted for about an hour. :) the rest of the day was ****. Went back to bed from 730-11 and then 3-5 and it’s 8 and I’m ready to go back to bed. Hate this part. 9 weeks PO today.
 
Well you made good use of your time early this morning.

Yay for quilting for a whole hour!
 
Whenever you can sleep, do it. It doesn't have to be at night. Anytime at all helps. When you are asleep, you body is healing more, so sleep away!
 
Thanks. I have been busier, I can but do t always walk up the steps with both legs but I do always start with my surgical knee first. Still feel lazy. Gotta go do mom’s dog tonight. It will be good to see her but I’ll be glad when brother does something else. But we aren’t talking right now so the stress of that weighs heavy on me too. Letting it goooo.
 
If this will give you hope with your sleeping, only the past 2 weeks has my sleep returned to pre operative state.
 
I’ve been reading a lot of posts on Facebook and the people are very numbers focused and has got me to thinking too much lol. I sleep on my side with my leg bent and I sit in my chair with leg straight and walk straight with no limp. I have no idea what my numbers are and don’t really care cuz what I have is still a heck of a lot better than what was. I don’t go for walks around the block. Never really did that but maybe when the other knee gets done I will?
 
I’m not a walker either but hope to become one when ( if! ) the weather warms up.

Actually it’s supposed to be 70 tomorrow and close to 80 on Friday and Saturday! :happydance:
 
And there’s no way I can sleep on my side yet. But it’s not just my leg, my back won’t let me, either. And I’ve akways been a side sleeper, so I don’t know what that’s about. But I’ve learned to like sleeping on my back.
 
I have no idea what my numbers are and don’t really care cuz what I have is still a heck of a lot better than what was.

After my six week check up, when my OS told me my ROM numbers, I stopped thinking about them. Months later, I had Mr. Shoes measure them for me and they'd gotten lots better. Like you, I was just thrilled to have knees that 1) didn't scream in agony with every step, and 2) could do all those things the original knees had stopped doing, like walking up and down stairs, bending to pick things up, and walk further than across a room.

Walking is an excellent exercise for knees. I started walking every day (sometimes two or three times a day at first, because the distances were shorter) at around six weeks, gradually extending how far I walked. What I found was the walking made my leg muscles stronger and helped a lot with my extension. As my leg muscles, which attach and wrap around the knee, supporting it, got stronger, my knees started feeling even more stable and the remaining "spots" of pain just went away. Stronger leg muscles make other movements much easier, like kneeling, getting down on (and up from) one knee, or the floor, and bending the knees to make picking things up easier.

Anyway, if you do decide after getting your other knee done to try a walking program, it's a great way to rehab your knees (and legs)!
 
@ Jockette...I finally got a body pillow and lay over onto it and make sure I support my lower leg. I bend kinda high lol and hug another pillow. Bosco sleeps on the other side of the pillows (or else his wiggles wake me up) sometimes I do roll back over on my back but usually end up back on my side.
 
@Susuieshoes...I know walking is coming. I’m self conscious and don’t like to be outside by myself. Weird I know.
 
Not weird, I enjoy my walks better arm in arm with my hubby! Or trying to keep up with him!
 
Might have spoke up too soon lol. I sat at my sewing machine and desk for a couple hours this morning and the top of my knee/lower thigh feels a little tight and sore. Might be a bit swollen so will sit elevated the rest of the evening.

Another new development is my blood pressure has been quite high lately. So dr has me on 50mg twice a day on metroprolol and then started me on one time a day the maxzide. I am on so much medication now I will be glad to get off them.
 
Sitting for a long time is hard on these baby knees. Have you tried to elevate while you are sitting.? I used a medium size stability ball to prop my leg up. I when back to a desk job at 8 weeks, that is what I did.
 
A couple hours sitting at this stage is probably too much. But of course we need to try these activities to see if they'll work. I sat for two hours to play a board game at two months, and regretted it later. I didn't sit that long again for another month, but made sure I got up to walk around every half hour or so. Make some tea. Check the mail. Move the knee and let the fluid circulate around instead of build up inside the knee.

Elevating is a good idea, if you can find a way to do that.
 
So I know ice is my friend but I haven’t been using it too much alright at all and am having some swelling from just the adl’s do I need to be concerned or will this all eventually just go away? It is a little touchy when I rub on it but. It enough to take pain meds.
 
Yes, it is normal to still have swelling. You're still very early in this year-long recovery.
Rest, ice, nd elevate more, and do try to look after your needs, not anyone else's.
 
@Celle...easier said than done :) but am much more active now. Trying to increase my stamina but I get so tired doing nothing.
 
Back
Top Bottom