TKR Doreen’s Post Op journey

Yes, it sounds like you’ve done enough for today!

I don’t remember how long it took before my leg didn’t hurt standing to wash dishes, but it was while. Does yours still hurt when you wash the dishes?
 
No not really. My back ends up hurting before my leg I just also notice The swelling. And the top of my knee is very sensitive and a little painful.
 
Last night I went to bed about 1? Took the pm Tylenol which helps. I hope I don’t get addicted to it but am getting some pretty good sleep and I’ll take it lol. Laid around pretty much all day yesterday icing and resting because I do have some swelling. Want to go to church tonight. The two hours I did Sunday wore me out but I do have to get back to having a life right? Im tired a lot still no gumption feel like a lazy fool.
 
If you can indulge in resting and keeping your life on a low burner for a while longer, you will be happy with the results, I think. Ease back into having a life. Church first, something like an outing once a week at first, then more often as the knee allows. You should soon find your energy coming back up to speed.

You should be safe from Tylenol PM dependence. :heehee: Sleep can take a while to get back to normal but when it does you won't need the med anymore.
 
I think getting back to life is fine, but at your stage you need to plan for it. If you want to go to church tonight, rest a lot today. Take tomorrow morning slowly.

Did you just do church on Sunday, or both Sunday School and church? If you did both, maybe just pick one for a while.

Sometimes, if we want “this” we have to give up “that”.

So, if you want to go to church, you’ll have to give up some comfort. If it’s only moderate discomfort and you are willing to accept that, then it’s a good trade. It’s a temporary situation anyway, you’ll get stronger in time.

If you want to go to church but the trade is too much discomfort, then maybe try to adjust the time frame you spend there. Again, it’s a temporary situation.

Easter week usually involves extra services. It might not be in your best interest, this year, to attend them all. The Lord will understand.
 
In my first few months, if I did a special thing one day, then I'd take off the next day and just rest, ice and elevate. This kept my knee and the energy drain under control.
 
I can relate to you about the housework. I clean and my husband and daughter come along and dirty it back up. I want to strangle them sometimes. I hope you can get back to your passion, soon.
 
I went to the dr yesterday. Lost 10 pounds he said Tylenol pm is the best choice and not to worry about taking it. Lots of family emotional ****. So done! Dr also put me on a low dose of cymbalta. See if that takes the pressure off a little and help with the blues days.
 
I took cymbalta for about 3 months, in 2010. If I remember correctly I took 60 mg, but I don’t remember how often.

I’d been having major back pain since the autumn of 2009. In May of 2010 there was a huge upset in my family, plus other difficult emotional issues so the dr I was seeing at the time suggested I could use some help with depression and that cymbalta was also helpful with pain. I started it in June.

I found it helpful. Right after I started taking it another major upset happened and I actually laughed at it instead of getting even more upset.

I chose to go off it after 3 months, and I weaned off it very carefully. I googled how to get off it and also talked to my pharmacist and between the two had a careful plan.

I didn’t have any withdrawal issues and I was able to have a better handle on the family issues going on, which had settled down some.

It helped get me over a hump I didn’t even know was coming!
 
Congrats on losing 10 pounds! It's a hard way to lose it, but it will be helpful in your recovery as long as you are getting enough protein in your diet.
 
I lost 10 pounds after surgery too. However I have gained it all back -prob a good thing ?????? And I can say that I was on Cymbalta for my fibromyalgia and consider it a miracle drug it helped me so much. I am not taking it now but I bet you will get good help from it. And Jockette is right about weaning off it if/when the time comes. That is important to be safe. Hang in there.
 
@Jockette thank you I will be careful when coming off it. Dr said to do 30 mg for two weeks and if I felt the need I could increase to the 60mg. Maybe the 30 will be enough.
 
I finally made it to the basement today...actually did three trips! Not too bad. I also was able to stand at the sink and peel the carrots for the roast, cut and peel the onions and wash the potatoes. Also remade the bed and got a shower. I’m very surprised I have no swelling : )
 
Good for you Doreen! Veggies, bed making and shower. You go girl. You may find the Cymbalta really helps your fibromyalgia. I certainly did - I am convinced I would not have been able to work the years that I was on it without the medication. I still work, but not what I was doing before. I can't take the Cymbalta any more, but for reasons unrelated to knees or anything like that.
 
I finally made it to the basement today...actually did three trips! Not too bad. I also was able to stand at the sink and peel the carrots for the roast, cut and peel the onions and wash the potatoes. Also remade the bed and got a shower. I’m very surprised I have no swelling : )
Now, that's what a call a hugely blessed day! I believe you have turned a corner with those huge steps that you have just taken! I bet you'll need to rest today so take it easy!
 
I would ask your doctor or pharmacist but I have had patients who took it at night.
 

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom