Sounds like a great visit today. Your doctor has a good pain management plan for you. Slow and steady is the path through this process and your knee will guide you. Make sure to set ground rules with PT before they even do the evaluation. Good luck moving forward
Thank you all for the positive responses. Question about movement. I saw a chart here at one point so if someone could point me to that it would help. I don't really know the proper terms and my Dr isn't the type to say you have to be at this measurement at this time. Slow and steady with him which is great. I am 2 weeks post op. I can almost straighten my knee completely. I feel like I would be able to if my muscles weren't so weak. There is a little discomfort but would definitely not classify it as pain. Also, he said when I was at my appt yesterday my bend is at about 90. Are these good for my stage in recovery?
You have an awesome doctor who seems to understand individual recoveries.
Anywhere a person is at 2 weeks is good for their recovery, because we are all different and should be allowed to let our knee heal on its own timeframe.
I wish more doctors were like yours! (mine was not)
We don't have a chart of where anyone should be at a certain time because everyone is different in their recovery. If you are 90 at 2 weeks, then you are doing great! Most OSs don't expect that until 6 weeks. Also, many OSs aren't concerned with ROM, but with function. It's what you can do that counts, not the numbers.
I noticed this evening I have a sore area on the front of my shin I had not noticed before. I felt it when flexing my foot and its sore when I push on it in that area. No swelling as far as I can tell. Any thoughts?
My shin stayed sore for months. Even now, if I bump it close to the knee area, that shin area is really tender. I think as long as it doesn't get a lot worse, turns hot or red, then there's nothing to worry about. If you're still concerned, call your doctor.
I did some gentle squats in PT today. Doesn't sound like much but I have not been able to any type of squat in 20 years! Knee did great and I am so excited to see how much more I can do as I heal!
@kneeper thank you for the input. I am not going to lie when he asked me to do it I thought he was crazy! To my surprise it wasn't bad. Doesn't seem to be an issue today from it but I am approaching the PT stuff very cautiously. Luckily my OS is not of the pushy sort on this either. He is all about do what's comfortable, not what hurts.
Fatigue!! I must say I am totally surprised at just how tired I am. I am used to working 55-60 hours a week but did not expect to be this tired with such a low activity level. I am not a napper but I'm not fighting this because I know my body needs the rest. Just a little caught off guard by it. This too shall pass. Grateful for this forum and all the wonderful members. It's nice to share with others who have been there.
Here's an article from our library about the energy drain:
Some Transactional Analysis factoids:
Just as a baby will take from its mother regardless of her health and well being, so will this 'child' body drain energy from the 'parent' body. This is the reason why, when a person wants to be up and get going on things, they very quickly run out of stamina and end up feeling totally fatigued and washed out! This 'child' body takes no enemies! It will take what it needs when it needs it and you better get used to accommodating its need to suckle else you'll find yourself regretting it big time!
@sistersinhim thank you so much for sharing that with me. Helps to see it in black and white. I have had two serious abdominal surgeries in the past but I don't remember them being this draining but of course I was younger. This surgery is so common that I don't think people who haven't been there truly understand just what a toll it takes. I am so grateful for my fiance during this time. I'm not good at asking for or taking help but I have needed him for sure. Just taking a quick shower is taxing. I felt some of the emotional aspect yesterday, crying for no reason but he is so understanding. He gets it and just let's me be a mess. Today's another day. I had nurse and PT yesterday so today is rest with a couple short walks tossed in. One day at a time but I am already grateful for my decision to do this and have no regrets! Much of the credit goes to my surgeon and his wonderful staff.
You are very welcome. It really helps to see exactly what's going on in our bodies. I printed it off, along with the activity guide to help me realize what to expect.
The crying spells are completely normal. If you didn't have them it'd be very unusual.
Feeling so down past couple days. I know it's normal but still hard. I'm usually a pretty happy upbeat person. All seems to be on course with my recovery. Weaning off the oxycodone and tylenol seems to be doing it's job. I definitely over did it yesterday with a short trip to wal mart. I used my walker as there were no scooters available but doing ok with lots of rest today. Sleeping off and on. I have had serious insomnia for years so I am looking forward to being able to use my sleep meds again as needed and constipation is well under control thank goodness. Worst for now seems to be first thing in the morning as the knee is so stiff! Hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas!
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.