TKR Donna' s Recovery

@donnag1108 Congratulations on your recovery!!!:happydance: It is so great when you get to the point that you are better after surgery than you were for a long time leading up to it! That is the point that all of the pain and worry was worth it!!!!! :yes!:
 
So I've been back at work a couple weeks and I am absolutely exhausted now all the time. I have to admit I have to continuously remind myself it's only been 12 weeks but I'm tired of being tired. My left knee is now causing serious pain and I know it will need to go at some point but I can't even think of that right now. One thing I wanted to ask, although my life is returning to normal I am feeling just not quite right. I can't put my finger on it just an uneasy feeling. Anyone experience this?
 
All the time. It’s part of it. The wishing we never did it. The wondering if we will ever be normal. The anxiety is also heightened by some meds I think and our stress and our lack of sleep.
Can you go to a more gradual return and do less hours/day or less days/week?
You are only 3mnths into a year long recovery. That knee is still healing and so are you in whole.

Hang in there. These dark pits are the worst but there IS another side (I just came out of mine).
 
@traceys thank you! It's so reassuring to know I am not alone in this weird feeling. A phased return wasn't really possible, I'm pretty much the only one that does my work and they struggled tremendously in my absence. I am glad to be back for sure just so exhausted. Cutting back on other activities as needed. Fortunately my pain level in my operated knee is very minimal, more discomfort then anything at times so I am off opiods totally which I'm happy about. Insomnia is persistent but I do have an RX for that. Oh well, this too shall pass.
 
Saw my wonderful OS today for follow up. He was thrilled! Xrays look perfect, ROM is 0/115. Parts of my incision are no longer visible at all. He was pretty shocked at the amount of hours I work at this stage but was so pleased with my progress. He's always been so encouraging and he is one doctor I actually look forward to seeing. I'm tired tonight after work but all is well and I'm feeling thankful.
 
I went back to work 2 weeks ago just about 3 months post op. I checked my hours today and I worked almost 60 hours each week. This is not good. No wonder I'm exhausted at night and sometimes achey even though I have very little swelling. I need to slow down. I know I'm pushing to hard. It's so easy to think we are back to normal and forget what a short time it has been since I had this very traumatic surgery. I'm going to try to back off a little. I get frustrated when I work so hard and then get home and have nothing left to give to leisure activities. Time for some balance!
 
@donnag1108 oh my heavens! :flabber: No wonder you are exhausted! Did you have a gradual return planned and something went wrong or.....?

At least you realized the need to adjust and take your life back a bit.

Sending you good thoughts. Hope it all works out. :console2:
 
@traceys I planned to go back at 40 hours a week. My norm before surgery was 50. I really did not realize how much I was doing. I know for many reasons including my knee I need to cut back and rest more. I've been working since I was 16, its what I do, but life is short and I'm getting older and my knee is telling me to cut it out!
 
@donnag1108
Sorry to hear you're having difficulty with your return to work.
60 hours a week would unimaginable for me, no wonder you are exhausted. I started back this week and worked only two 6 hour days so far and I am exhausted. You are absolutely right, life is short and sounds like you are assessing your life and priorities.
I think I can understand your feelings about something not feeling "right". I would encourage you to see a therapist if you are having emotional struggles. I'm not out of the woods yet so to speak, but talking about my feelings to a professional has helped immensely. It may or may not be the case for you, but I went on an antidepressant and find it enormously helpful just something to consider.
Donna, I know you will make the best decision for yourself with regard to work and cutting back hours. You have this one time to recover from knee surgery so take care of yourself, you are a precious child of God. You're leisure time is so important to achieve a sense of balance. There arent many times in this life where we get to put ourselves first, this is one of those times. Someone recently reminded me that we have to take care of ourselves so we could be there for others.
Dale
 
Last edited:
I don't get a chance to post as often but I think it's important for anyone struggling or just plain frustrated to see things do get better. I am about 15 weeks out and life has changed! I am back to most normal activities, Woking full time etc. My knee is performing beautifully. Most days I have no pain at all and when I over do it just some stiffness and very minimal if any swelling. A few short months ago I was miserable and seriously wondered how it would get better. It has gotten wonderful!! If you are in the first few months or are struggling hang on, I'm glad I did and I am now pain free with my new knee.
 
Hi All!
Hoping everyone is recovering well. I am so busy since I got back to living I don't check in as much. I am doing just wonderful. I am 4 months out and truly cannot believe the difference. I am walking normal with no limping, pain etc. I am down to Tylenol only as needed which isn't very often these days. I can go up stairs with no issues. Coming down is still a bit awkward at times so I take my time don't want any mishaps at this stage. I work a lot and the knee has responded wonderfully. Just as I always have credit goes to my wonderful surgeon. Two weeks ago I had some slight swelling from over doing it but after a day or so of going back to basics of recovery that resolved very quickly. I cannot believe the difference from just a few months ago. I was miserable, uncomfortable and exhausted. I can say I still get so tired and that can be frustrating but those are the days I remind myself how fortunate I am to be doing so well at this early stage and all things take time. If you are having a hard time and things seem very difficult just hang in there. I know that is easier said then done but we have all been there and it does get better! I wish everyone who ever had to have this surgery would have the blessing of a surgeon and his staff such as I had.
 
Thanks for updating us on your progress. It is great for people to see that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

You are out of the dark days and are moving in to the steady recovery of the year long process.
 
@donnag1108 I’m so glad you are feeling so much better!!! Great news!!
We are just a couple days apart. I’m still having some minimal pain and stiffness. Not sure why? I’m really not overdoing it. My right TKR was so much easier. The left not so much. I did walk on rye beach a couple weeks ago and my knee didn’t like it at all. It was very hard walking through the deep sand. Hopefully soon, I too will be pain free. :)
 
:wowspring:You have made such progress in the past month, that's terrific news and gives us all encouragement. Thanks for posting. :flwrysmile:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom