THR DONE!

IT Band goes along with both TKR and THR, so not a new problem for me. I keep hoping that one day everything will decide to work and be happy at the same time! :wow:

I was delighted NOT to have any restrictions at all! :spin:

@Thesoutherncook how did they test your ROM at your Dr visit? When I went for the one month check up they just went over X-ray, watched me walk down the hall a ways and chatted a bit. I wish there had been more examining & testing, so I know where I stand, pun unintended. I'd like to start doing some yoga again and suppose it's alright (no restrictions) just don't want to wake up next day finding it was not a good idea. Had to work very long hours yesterday seated on a non supportive spot, no back or arms on seat, and wow did that make some ice packs fly at home! Congratulations on your excellent recovery!!

@1stSurgery The PA had me seated on a tall chair, then she moved my leg in and out, up and down, back and forth while watching my reaction. Nothing hurt at all. She was pleasantly surprised! No real number measurement like with knees.

I cannot kneel( the TKRs just do NOT likepressure on them!) so yoga is out for me. I tried it with blocks and cushioning but the knees were having no part of it! Can you consult with your PT before starting back? My big question was can I cross my legs! And the answer was no restrictions. Not sure I actually CAN right now with the tight IT band, but nice to know it is possible eventually.

You're coming along really well! You are doing great to be back working! Rest and ice when you can.

Last edited:
Thanks @Thesoutherncook - But I am the PT! So I will ask.... I see myself frequently so it's easy. :snork: They just told me to walk and do the exercises at home, no PT needed - but I could if I wanted. Hubby used to be a trainer so between us I just went ahead on my own. I would have liked to have ROM and strength tested post-op though.

Sorry about not being able to kneel. Will that ever improve? That's when we realize how many things require kneeling. No more praying while scrubbing the floor for now. I am so wanting to scrub the bottom of the shower but a few inches shy of being comfortable doing so. Have a long-handled everything tool it seems, but no long handled shower scrubber.

Youre just a few days after me and have been going at a very nice clip in your recovery. Following in your footsteps!

Happy Two Month Anniversary, Cupcake :wink:
Does it feel like two months already?
Blew by for me, but I'm not in recovery either. Summer is fading fast!
Let us know how it's going, would love to hear.
Hope you're doing well and having a great weekend!
@Thesoutherncook

Thanks for checking on me, @Layla ! ONLY two months? Gosh, I feel more like 6 months! The hip is doing great! It lets me know when it needs to slow down. I'm building up stamina and testing its limits every now and then. You know, I have a 2 wk trip to Italy in October! Got to build up strength and endurance! One big accomplishment is going up and downstairs like normal...slowly, but normally! Yeah!

Happy, happy, Joy, Joy!
Great for you...I'm getting super jealous hearing of all the splendid trips or members are planning.
You certainly deserve a great trip!

“Tutti hanno bisogno della bellezza così come del pane, di posti per giocare e posti per pregare, dove la natura può curare e dare forza al corpo e all’anima”
John Muir

IT band is no fun! Work on stretching it and making sure it is really supple long before you do your next (!!!) hip! So glad there are only two of them, I am sure. So glad to hear of your wonderful progress. My hip is doing fine (I am about a week later than you), ut the IT band is nasty, nasty, nasty. Gets in the way of sitting and walking. Not pain, just ache. And the exercises are not recommended for my lateral approach surgery. Sigh....
Hope to follow your wonderful lead soon!! Let us know how the exercises go for the other hip and how YOU are doing overall, even if it i just to tell us about another foray into retail therapy! Bravo for your progress!

Happy you're doing so well. Walking steps like an adult, rather than a child, feels so good!
A trip to Italy coming right up. Lucky you!
I was eyeing up the Amalfi Coast online last night. Looks so beautiful.
Hubs has some Italian blood and always wants to go to Italy. One day....
You'll have to let us know how it goes and how the new Hip fares. I'll bet you're excited.....I'm excited for you!
Hope you have a great week!
@Thesoutherncook

@Layla When we travel, I email a daily journal along with pictures to those who want to travel vicariously with us. PM me your email address if you're interested. I'll be going to Paris Thanksgiving week on a “girl trip”, too.

Lucky you! I will PM.
Paris too! Another place I'd love to see.
Hubs always has the travel bug. I haven't until this point.
Always been U.S. only for me but I now have a deeper interest in crossing the pond.
Probably even more so since communicating so often with some of our BS friends.
Would be fun to see their part of the world.
I hope your day is great!
@Thesoutherncook

Happy Three Month Anniversary on Lefty!
Hope you're doing well. Stay safe, I know Flo is heading your way and packing a punch, so far.
@Thesoutherncook

:wave:@Layla Thanks for the shout out!
3 months today and I celebrated at the dentist for cleaning! Lol! And, yes, my OS requires antibiotics for cleaning and dental procedures! I figure the benefits outweigh the risk, especially with 3 joints!
I'm doing great! Gaining stamina every week! We put out 60 bags of mulch over newspaper in my flower beds weekend before last. I did not lift bags, but I did help spread. No problems afterward! We had Grands here last weekend and it was nonstop activity.

Our trip to Italy is 1 month from tomorrow and we are getting super excited! We'll be tnere for 2 weeks.
I ordered a “Sleepy Ride” sling type thing that hooks over the tray table to elevate legs on long flights as well as compression socks. I still have aggravating swelling but it is mostly in my ankle of the THR & TKR. Ugh!
I'm sleeping on the THR side comfortably and basically back to “normal” for an old person! :old: :happydance:

We are almost to the NC/TN state line, so very western NC. Yes, Florence will likely affect us, but we are anticipating only heavy rain and some wind. The mountains are between us and the coast, so by the time she gets here, she will ( hopefully) have lost strength and be just a minor irritation!

@Thesoutherncook — stay dry! You guys could still have flooding and I hope all will be okay for you!

I have a question about the sling thing! Can you post a link or picture? I might need that sort of thing! (Where are you going in Italy?)

D10F1882-1434-4506-97DA-8795211A2F01.jpeg
@lovesstars We live on a mountain, so no flooding in our home. We likely will lose power die to downed trees. Fingers crossed that by the time it reaches us, it will be much weaker.

Here is the device for elevating legs on long flights.
We are flying from ATL to Rome for a week, then on to Florence for the second week.

Hey, I like that sling. I might see if we should add it to Recovery Aids.
Not all fly soon afterward, but some do.
I hope you have the time of your life on your trip. How exciting!
You'll have to update upon your return. Let us know how the new joints held up.
Hugs
@Thesoutherncook

I may or may not be developing an unhealthy relationship with caramel apples.
Your posts always seem to bring up really tempting food - they make my mouth water! And as long as the caramel apples are taken internally (!!??! for the alternative), I consider that a mental health need.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Raithtaxi
Recent bookmarks