Guest viewing is limited

THR DONE!

Your posts always seem to bring up really tempting food - they make my mouth water! And as long as the caramel apples are taken internally (!!??! for the alternative), I consider that a mental health need.

LOL! Yep, I am eating them. Otherwise...I suppose I can just stick them on my incision. (Instead of, for example — the steristrips)
 
Last call for those who wish to follow our 2 wk trip to Italy via email. Send me a personal message and I will add you to my list of virtual travelers! I write a daily journal for my friends to share our travels from the comfort of home. I promise not to send any other email nor will I sell you address! :heehee:

As you might guess, the THR is doing GREAT! The 2 TKR are playing nice and I expect an outstanding trip! I know that a) Security will scan, wand and pat me down everywhere we go. b) I will have to take time out to rest along the way ( great excuse to drink wine/eat gelato/people watch) c) I absolutely could not have done this 6 months ago!

I hope all of you are hitting your stride and your recovery is progressing appropriately. :hiking:
 
As sad as it is when people stop checking in, it usually means they're doing better - I figure that probably means great outcomes with a return to healthy living! That or they're dead.

Anyway, good to hear confirmation that in your case it's the former! Yeah, I'll send you a message with my email and you can make me wildly jealous on a daily basis!
 
Me too @Bone-obo ...you made me laugh (darkly) out loud!

@Thesoutherncook - so happy to hear about your excellent recovery and wishing you an incredible vacation to one of my favorite places on the planet. Check in when you're back and tell us about.... the food! :)
Alla prossima!
:wave:
 
Hey @Thesoutherncook
Stopping by to wish you a Happy Four Month Anniversary!
You may be in Italy now? I know it was October.
If you're there I hope you're having a great time taking in the sights and sounds,
people watching, drinking Vino and eating Gelato.
Let us know how the hips and knees held up when you get back.
Enjoy!
 
We've just returned from 2 wks in Italy. Spent 1st week in Rome and 2nd in Florence. It was great!
Here are some THR and TKR observations:
1. I dealt with security proactively and did not set off a single alarm! I told security guards about the artificial knees and hip BEFORE I reached the scanners. In a couple of places I had a guide translate for me. Everyone was very nice and motioned me around the detectors. Coming home from Rome, I was patteed down thoroughly ( in public) by a female security guard. She asked first and was not rude about it, just thorough.

2. We walked 2-4 miles a day. I was not in any pain, but did just give out occasionally and called for a rest stop (generally near a gelato shop!)

3. I did experience swelling in my lower legs/ ankles and wore compression sleeves ( that came just above ankles) or socks the entire trip. On the long flight, I got up and walked frequently. The new hip was NOT happy sitting!

4. I would do it all again in a heartbeat! And, will go to Paris in 3 weeks!

See, there IS life after TKR and THR!
 
Hi, It's so nice to hear from you. Awesome update!
Sounds like you had a lot of fun and handled it well.
And Paris In three weeks, lucky you. :yes:
Hope you have a great week!
@Thesoutherncook
 
It's great to read that you're doing so well, Helen - and enjoying travel in Europe as well! :yes!: :happydance: :yay: :flwrysmile:.
 
:wave: Jet setting, or jet sitting...agree long sits for new hips not the best.
Glad you are getting back to life in a big way!
Good for you, friend!:tada:
 
Hey you :wave:
Saw you swoop in and outta here this a.m. :wink:
We need a southerncook update. Miss you around here.
How is all in your world?
Tell us something good!
@Thesoutherncook
 
Yep...what Layla said.:angel:
 
Hi! Yep, that's me...swooping in! All is well in my little corner of the world. Hip is good, knees are good....no problems! I took a friend for a consult with my OS and he was all grins when he saw me and heard my report of 17k steps in one day in Paris! The nasty wet weather has kept me inside and I NEED to get out and walk ( and clear the brain cobwebs!) Hopefully spring will soon arrive and I can get moving! Meanwhile, I've had plenty of time to paint.

I do find that the new hip does NOT like to sit for extended periods of time and it definitely prefers a comfortable chair! A bit of a diva, ya' think? :heehee:

As I always say, there IS life after joint replacement. Get out there and claim it!
 
Brilliant after-op update and thanks for encouraging the rest of us. Agree about sitting. Currently working from home and the chair and table plus a foot rest are much better than my set up at work… Reminder that I have to get up and walk around a bit first. When you did your Italy trip did you use a hiking stick or walk without one? I do find I get a bit tired if I walk more than a mile and need a stick. I am 7 months out.. Best wishes SG
 
:wave: Hi @Thesoutherncook
Thanks for the update. You sound good!
Back to living life, filling it with the things you love. That's what it's all about.:egypdance:
All the best to you in 2019 :)
 
@SurreyGirl I did not use anything on the 2 wk trip to Italy ( or the week in Paris). But, I did call “time out” several times! I took my cute switch stick folding cane just in case, but didn’t need it.

I find long car rides uncomfortable- I can do it, but the hip complains!
 
I have one of those nifty folding canes too---have taken it with me when I've traveled. I've never used it either, but it is so compact and is a bit of a security blanket, so I keep packing it;)
 
Today is my one year anniversary on my THR! I can hardly believe it! I have absolutely no pain or discomfort or restrictions! Totally amazing!
This past year I have been to Italy for 2 weeks, Paris for a week, resumed all local activities and community involvement, hosted company several weekends and am about to hold Grandma Camp for 2 weeks ( 8 yr old week 1, 5 yr old week 2!). I cannot say enough good things about my surgeon and his protocol! If you are within 2 hrs of Atlanta, he is WELL worth considering!
For all of you just beginning this journey or considering it, take heart! You will do GREAT!
Hugs to all,
Helen
 
Happy One Year Hipversary, my friend!
:friends:
So glad to hear you had a great trip!:egypdance:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom