Bilateral TKR done on Dec 2, 2016<

As someone who's newly retired I understand the need for structure. So making a daily schedule is a great idea. @hope4clay , per the activity chart you can be walking outside the house for 20 minutes. Take a look at week 3 which I think says 5-10 minutes, then week 4-5 says 20 minutes. So I think you can add that to your day. Just remember you need to get back from where you're walking. So 10 minutes and then head back to your house. Use a cane so you have support.
 
@hope4clay . So I'm in the same boat as you. my knees are crazy stiff when I first wake up. So first, I accept the fact that I'm not a spring chicken and popping out of bed anymore. lol. I also do a few leg pumps, just to get my knees bending. the first few steps are a bit shaky so I keep my cane nearby. Usually after 4 or 5 steps I'm good to go.

I can understand the boredom, I swear I'm ADHd (didn't have those fancy terms when I was a kid) so lying on a couch all day drove me crazy. I agree with @ Mireille, I'd concentrate on the knees first once you get that you'll get your mojo back.

Good luck, keep us posted. I had my left knee replaced 3 days after you.
 
OK, another dumb question, and I'm embarrassed to ask so late in the game, why is it so advantageous to ice and elevate? What if I haven't been doing that very much to this point? It's such a pain and I hate freezing myself so much, I hate cold! I have done it but I admit to not as much as I should.

Will I see a big change if I ice and elevation for hours a day? What should be the proper amount and times? What are the real advantages? I haven't done it often cause I can't see a big change when I do.

@KarriB you say I should walk 20 minutes a day? I better get with it, I would if I thought I could but just going to the mailbox 50 feet away is a challenge for me, should I get busy with then ice?? Will I get more agile?

Thank you all, :)
 
Icing and elevation do help to disperse swelling more quickly. The swelling will go away eventually, whether you ice and elevate, or not, but since swelling is one thing that prevents your knee from bending properly it does seem advantageous to get rid of it quickly, if you can. Ice is also a good pain reliever, too.
Ice to control pain and swelling
Elevation is the key to controlling pain and swelling

You need to ice for at least 45 minutes each time, or it's not effective. You can ice for longer and do no harm, as long as you have some material between the icing medium and your skin - to prevent frost bite. I know that some people use an electric throw to keep the rest of themselves warm while they're icing, particularity in the winter.

I did know about elevation, but I didn't know the benefits of icing when I had my first knee replacement. I recovered OK. However, I do think that icing made my subsequent recoveries a little easier.

I doubt that you'll see a huge difference if you start icing and elevation now, but every little bit counts - right?

As for how much you should be walking, give yourself a break.. You had both knees done at once, so you may progress more slowly. Just gradually increase the length of time you walk. I used to walk one block and back at first, then a block and a half, then two blocks - increasing about once a week, as long as I didn't feel any ill effects. Later, I took a timer with me, set it for 15 minutes, and turned back when the timer buzzed.

It doesn't matter how fast you progress, as long as you are making progress. Since complete recovery takes a full year, there's no need to rush at anything. Let your knees (and your stamina) take as long as they need to.
 
The activity progression chart gradually increases the walking times from week 1-5. If you think 20 minutes is too difficult start with 10 and work your way up. My TKR was in the middle of the Polar Vortex, so I had an electric throw on me while I iced. I iced a few hours every day and always after any activity. Ice helps with pain and reduces swelling which causes stiffness.

Week 1
Minimal PT, just gentle heel slides and a 2-3 leg lifts before you get out of bed in the morning Heel slides and how to do them
Walking around the house - trips to the bathroom and kitchen are included!
Be up on your feet several times a day as you need to but don't get obsessive about it
A 5-6 minute walk every 3-4 hours is plenty

Week 2 -
add to previous
Start on a plan of walks around the house 3-4 times a day for about 5 minutes but don't
a) get obsessive about it
b) get into too much pain and
c) get too tired. Stop before you get to that point.


Week 3 -
add to previous
Lengthen the walks to about 5-10 minutes as before
Activity: prepare yourself a small meal or a snack


Weeks 4 and 5 - add to previous
Increase walks to out in the garden or street; to 20mins or longer if you feel up to it.
 
I think @hope4clay said he had good flexion. His problems seem to be around pain. His weight also seems to be an issue. Somehow motivation appears to me at least to be his biggest problem along with worry about work. Apologies Clay if I've got that wrong.
 
I think you're just where you need to be at this stage of your recovery @hope4clay . It's still very early days and you may be expecting too much, too soon. Remember that complete recovery takes a full year.
 
I've gotten out and been walking more and yes my motivation has been low, but I got serious about moving, walking and ice and elevation so I'm going to try being more positive, thankful and worry less about things I cannot control yet.

I did agree to return to the therapist I was seeing but only on my conditions, I see the owner, the one I was impressed with the most and not the intern that runs me through the repetitive exercises I can do at home. I called and told them I would be interested in learning some helpful exercises that would encourage and help me to (if possible) gravitate toward more of the climbing into trucks and doing stairs and we'll see how that goes. I see the OS (PA) 0n 2/20 day 80, I don't expect to be ready to go back to my very physical job by then and will not be allowing them to push me that direction if I am not 100% ready.

Thank you again everyone, happy weekend!
 
I was able to climb into a school bus with the help of a cane. Those school bus steps are high! Would you be able to use a step stool for getting up/down? They have light weight ones that collapse and are easily moved.
 
@KarriB I've tried to consider all those types of helps, but in reality, it wouldn't really be that much help due to the volume of the ins and outs (ups and downs) I have to do. I'm in and out many times and only after I move the semi-truck every time. Honestly, I always thought I had a PUD job because of all the hard jobs I have had in my life, this is really much easier but not until I had my knees done did I fully understand how labor intensive it really is
 
Things are going well at pt again since I asked for a specialized set of exercises that will more help me to acclimate myself to climbing ladders on semi trucks and stairs. We'll see how it goes I guess, I hope you all are well.
 
Glad to hear it Clay! Onwards and upwards!
 
Hey gang, checking in Sunday. It's been a while. I have been back at it with PT and the specialized strength exercises we've been working on have been ok but the real test was when I went down to my workplace on Saturday, hung out with the fellas and worked my job for a little while.

It didn't take long to realize that I'm not ready for that load. I was hoping I could find it doable but after climbing up and down the truck twice and walking the distance and doing the stairs and standing as much as is required, I was quickly reminded that I still have a ways to go,. This past Friday was 10 weeks and I see my Doctor for my 11 week recheck a week from tomorrow and, as sad as it makes me, I'm going to hafta tell him I need more time.

I wanted to get back to work so my family doesn't have a period of being non insured, and I really need to start getting an income. I can't transition back in or ask for special treatment (one of our guys had a heart issue, his Dr ordered that he be restricted to maximum 8 hrs a day. The co. said no way, so he retired) My company is working 12 hr days and weekends mandatory. It makes me mad that I'm losing a LOT of money but I can't go back and be thrown to the wolves. I'm just gonna hafta be patient and thankful that I was smart enough to make mortage payments up to July 2017, after that I'm SOL, sorry, I had to vent.
 
I'm sorry you're disappointed. BTKRs can take longer to recuperate, especially when going back to a very physical job. I do hope the strength training hasn't aggravated your TKRs.
 
Disappointing as it is for you, I think you're very wise not to go back to work yet.

I'm sure, though, that you will be fit enough to go back long before the mortgage payments you have made run out.
 
Hi, Clay- I've had a couple of weeks off so a lot of catching up to do! So here are a 'few' comments I picked up in reading your thread!
I have trouble keeping whatever on the spot. Does anyone have a cool idea to address these issues. How long should I be icing?
why is it so advantageous to ice and elevate? What if I haven't been doing that very much to this point? It's such a pain and I hate freezing myself so much, I hate cold!
Will I see a big change if I ice and elevation for hours a day? What should be the proper amount and times? What are the real advantages? I haven't done it often cause I can't see a big change when I do.
There are no shoulds or oughts about this. We recommend and advise but in the final analysis, it's all entirely up to you! Lots of people don't like ice on them. If it was necessary or helpful, you'd be keen to use it so there it is!
I don't know much about keeping my chin up in the conventional sense that one hears about all the time.
sometimes someone has to remind us what we already know and more embarrassingly, what we've suggested to others in a similar spot
Yes, an awful lot of this is very, very common!
When I rise up, it takes me I'd say, 5-10 seconds to get stepping, then its staggery, yeah for a few
This also is very common so please don't fret about it. And yes, being obese certainly can be a hindrance though it's not so for everyone.
@KarriB you say I should walk 20 minutes a day? I better get with it, I would if I thought I could but just going to the mailbox 50 feet away is a challenge for me
I keep being told and reading in the press, that a 20 minute walk 3 times a week is good for warding off stroke and heart attack. But walking and I have never been very good friends! Even as a child I hated that phrase "Let's go for a nice walk"! Nothing 'nice' about a walk so far as I am concerned!
I think I have it in my head that everyone in my face, (the OS and PT therapist) treats this like I should be farther along and PT is the answer to all my problems. Example...my PA at the OS office last appt, was ready to send me back to work at 6 weeks?? I was like what?? Heck no, and my therapists commented at 4 weeks that he was surprised to see me still pushing the walker, I'm definitely confused here, lol
Good for you!
I will not be ready for the very physical demands that my job demands. I hung out with the fellas and worked my job for a little while. It didn't take long to realize that I'm not ready for that load.
What a great thing that was - do a trial run! However, I am not in the least bit surprised since you are not yet even 11 weeks out. The guys I used to see in the factory (Schmitz Cargobull, if you've ever heard of them - they manufacture semi trailers) used to be required to take 12 weeks off for a single knee, 15 for a bilateral and then have a Phased return to work always. Very often when I saw them in follow-up about 3-4 weeks later, they always said how grateful they were that I enabled this return to work shcedule.
I can't transition back in or ask for special treatment
That is very sad and very unsympathetic of them. I wonder how many of the bosses at that firm have ever had a hip or knee replacement!
 
Thanks all and thanks @Josephine.
Yes. I agree. Our mgmt is pretty cold. Right up to the corporate morons that make decisions that result in employee having to sue for proper treatment.
I've witnessed and been involved in a law suit because they refuse to pay an established workers compensation and altho slow in process I WON. but not really. It took 3 yrs. They delayed out there butts like I was warned about. And at the end all I got was my lost wages and no PPI.
They are crooks and highly crooked. Its a company you really don't wanna get injured working for. Its like they are trained in mental and emotional torture from the local to the corporate level. Its why I didnt go thru WC involving my knees. A very expensive decision on my part. But I decided that this treatment would be decided by me, my doctors, and my choice. Not their heartless, unprofessional bs. I'm having regrets I didn't make them oay for all this and pay ME. but I can't go backwards.( I don't think)
 
It does sound like you are making progress, though I know you are disappointed that the knees are taking their own good time. And with this heartless company on top of that. :(
I notice above you said something about not walking for 20 minutes and that walking to the mailbox was a challenge for you. Heck, if that's as much as you feel you can do, go for it.:walking:
I started with 5 minutes and I don't think I ever went up to more than 20 minutes in my whole recovery period. Never wanted to be caught too far out and then still having to make it back! :heehee:
 
Thanks @kneeper . yes i am making progress. But its frustrating cause its sooooooooo s l o w. haha
I saw my dr today for recheck.... this Friday is tbe 12 week anniversary of my Btkr surgery.
Given the demands of my job and where I'm at in my pain and lack of endurance still I decided its best if I stay off work longer and try and heal up some more. I see the dr again on week 17. If I'm still not good I can go another 4 then I'm gonna have to get back to work or go find something else to do.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom