Bilateral TKR done on Dec 2, 2016<

Ok gang. I have a question. Hopefully not a dumb one.
I still and guess I will have pain. Stiffness. And limitation to my endurance as this new pair of prosthetic knees are done healing.
I came across both my knees and back braces from before. I put em on got some relief but need to know if its a bad idea to use em.... please advise. Thanks
 
The stiffness can last for a while longer especially in th morning but should feel better as you take a few steps. You want to make sure that the braces don't cause you to limp or have an unnatural gait. Some find that an elastic sleeve can help. You can always check with your OS office if you're not sure.
 
this new pair of prosthetic knees are done healing.
Actually this is very far from the truth. You are not yet 12 weeks out which is very early days and by no means is your knee finished with healing. That can take around 4-6 months and up to 12 months for your full recovery. It may well be that long before you find yourself waking up one morning and then, come midday, you suddenly realise your knee was NOT the first thing you thought about that day! That's when you know that it's almost over.

Nor should you expect to continue to be in pain after healing is complete. That's just another sign that healing and recovery are not yet concluded.

As regards the braces, I would say it's not a good idea to use them as this isn't what they are for. Much better that you let your legs heal on their own. It won't be much longer now.
 
how do I know when its time for me to go back to work and tackle the hard stuff that ive been leary about? such as climbing up and down the side of my semi truck (many times)? and doing umpteen #s of stairs per day, lifting and all kinds of repetitive things?
 
You're coming up on three months soon, but due to the physical job you have, only you will know. Going back part time would definitely be better than jumping into the deep end with a full day and full week.
 
We usually recommend about 12 weeks off work, but your job is so physically demanding that I think you need to allow longer than that. See if you can get a doctor's certificate for another month.
 
Perhaps you could discuss with your boss the possibility of doing some trial periods to see how you are managing?
 
Thanks. Yes I did get more tine off. I see my doc again end of march. I told em that's what I wanted..more time! I still struggle a lot.
And I wish I could go back part time but our company is so stern. Its all or nothin.
 
Would they have to honor a doctor's script for part time?
 
no, besides what dr is gonna do that?...they are ready to let me go now, I told em i wasnt ready cause of all the HD work I have to do, otherwise id be there now, ..........besides! I have to pass a dot physical and THAT will mean I am good to do whatever they have so Im pretty much screwed, its all or nothing
 
Clay, my heart goes out to you. Your employer sounds ruthless! It's hard enough recovering without the added stress of the whole "fit to work" at a very taxing job. I hope as the days go forward you gain the endurance and strength required to manage. I would never have believed anyone who told me about this profound energy drain until experiencing it myself. I will tell you my L knee is really quite "normal" at week 17 but I'm far from a 12 hour battery life! I hope you continue to recover and regain your stamina take good care of those new knees.
 
My dr wrote a script for part time work. He specifically wrote that I was not to exceed 4.5 hours. I turned that script into my superintendent. Perhaps if your OS knows how physical your job is he'll realize you need to ease into it.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
sadly, its the policy of my company, and to complicate, once the OS releases me (at my discretion), then I have to be cleared by the company doctor for a new D>O>T> clearance, once I pass that, I am considered "good to go", NO RESTRICTIONS they clear one as fit to drive a commercial vehicle, no holds barred, our co. is in the business of shuttling commercial loads of junk to the local GM truck plant in our area, so like I said its all or nothing and im really held to it because of the CDL...
one of our senior dockman (who needs no special post medical clearance outside of the OS or equivalent) was cleared to return after a heart related incident, with a part time "restriction" and they told him that wasnt acceptable, ( HE SAID SCREW IT AND RETIRED) so i dont see any way they are gonna allow it for me once I pass with the occupational doctor and my d.o.t clearance
 
Hi Dwight, just wondering how you are healing? Is walking getting better for you, is your strength getting better or improving? I felt like at 3 months I had a turning point. I hope that is your finding as well. Wishing good thoughts on your recovery.
Blessings,
Lene'
 
I'm sorry to hear about your job wanting you back all or nothing. I was just told that after my upcoming surgery that I couldn't come back part time. I don't think that employers realize that is better for them too to get an experienced person part time than not have them at all.
 
@lene, hey, thanks, yeah I am doing better, far from what id like but better, I walk with a cane most the time, I think Im gonna go back to work on april 3rd, im not ready but I think Im as good as i will get and I need the money, itll be a struggle but heck I mite as well go Im bored and I have cabin fever bad...thanks for asking and I have really enjoyed this site. Thank you all!!!
@newlybionic, Im sorry too, but thats the way they are...we have a workforce that works like a crew and noone really want or can pick up the load for others who are draggin behind so I will just do my best and thats all I can do, if they dont like that, I will just quit, LOL...I have a plan B and if I have to I will just turn the page, lol
 
It sounds like you have everything under control. Good for you!
 
@KarriB and all you others that have comforted me along the way, THANK YOU, I will let you know how it goes, my fears are about to be faced head on, but I really think I will be fine, overweight, ladders and stairs, here we go, love you all, :-)
 
I hope everything goes well for you. After work come straight home and be ready to ice and elevate. If you are experiencing pain take Tylenol 1,000mg four times a day to keep it in your system.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom