MUA Done in Time for the Carolina Basketball Game!

I missed that every time I looked. I’m ordering it today. Maybe it can get ahead of my picking, or aT least give me something else to do. Thanks.
 
I knew my aims for the MUA when I chose to have it, and I knew, with other aims, I could have skipped it and likely still seen gains
Can you explain to me the difference between these aims?
 
You'll have to let me know how you like the Active Skin repair. I keep thinking on ordering it. I've used bio-oil on both mine once the scabs were gone but my right seems just more.... dry and bleh. I'm sure it's the winter weather and dryness but it sometimes feels burny and tight and it mostly just think it's dry skin. I tried some of my normal lotion last night but it kind of burnt despite being unscented so I probably won't do that again.
 
@Jockette My aim for the MUA was to get a lot more ROM a lot sooner so that I could participate in specific activities, like sitting in a row of chairs with my students. Maybe if my aim wasn’t so focused on that one issue, I could have waited for better ROM and skipped the MUA.

But, when you asked for clarification, I rethought this. I really think there’s something up with my ROM, and I think the MUA might have been the best response to it. So, regardless if I was making my decision based on the short term or the long term, I think the MUA was the right next step.

Honestly, I feel a little defensive about having had the MUA, like I’ve given in to pushy doctors or my own impatience, somehow. So, when I write about it, I tend to overstate my rationalization for myself while reinforcing my belief that an MUA isn’t the solution to every range of motion issue. That’s probably what I was getting at.
 
You did what worked for you. No argument there. I hope your pain goes down. I’ve been using silicone sheets and gel on my scar. Obviously I have no control to compare it to, but the scar looks good.
 
I agree, you did what was right for you, and that’s what we all have to do. I’m sorry I made you feel defensive, that was not my intent. I was just curious about that particular statement. :console2:

You are a well loved member here on Bonesmart, always encouraging others. That is a special gift.
 
@Jockette You didn’t make me feel defensive. You made me think and learn.

I grew up being teased about being a hypochondriac, which makes it hard to feel good about seeking treatment for things. So, sometimes, I doubt myself because I was taught to doubt myself for so long.

I am sure I’m not alone in this. And I’ve done a lot of learning so that, intellectually, I feel strong about my understanding of what I need for my own well-being, but, sometimes, it’s hard to chase away the voices of people who loved me but taught me that I didn’t know how I felt.

This recovery, in particular, is tough because there doesn’t seem to be good big data on what works and what doesn’t, just anecdotal data. And there don’t seem to be clear tests to say what’s going on in this swollen, cranky black box of a knee. So I have to rely on how I feel, which is the hardest thing for me. But ‘hard’ doesn’t mean ‘bad.’ It’s just hard.

Thanks for letting me think this through.
 
@jaybird I ordered some of the Active Skin Repair. I’m hopeful it will help. What are the silicone sheets that you mention? They might help with covering the last bit of incision that I can’t leave alone.
 
And there don’t seem to be clear tests to say what’s going on in this swollen, cranky black box of a knee.
I can certainly relate to that. I’ve had a very difficult, slow recovery, that isn’t over yet, at 3 years post op (next month) In spite of the definite improvements that I talk about, I have other very uncomfortable unresolved issues. 2 second opinions offered me nothing. My friends think I must not have done enough PT.:doh:My daughter-in-law once commented that too bad there wasn’t a device that they could hold up next to my knee and it would tell what my problem is.

Recovery from a knee replacement is like having a fussy baby, and we have to guess to figure out why they are crying.
 
Last night, I was still unable to sit in the theater for the show. Fortunately, it wasn’t a very good show, so my friend and I left early.

So frustrating, though!

Not a happy camper today, but I’m icing and elevating and hoping to spend some time playing board games with my family tonight. My middle child , who lives in Oregon, is home for a few days. I can’t believe I have to rest up for game night, but I’m not missing this chance to enjoy my kids.
 
Enjoy your family time. At least you can ice and elevate while you play your games.
 
My non-expert report on the Active Skin Repair gel, from the point of view of a pathological picker whose incision hasn’t completely healed more than twelve weeks out:

I’ve been using the gel for a week or so, and I think it’s helping me. When I look at the incision, it looks clean and smooth enough that I don’t feel compelled to pick at it as much. I have picked at it a little, and I can’t swear that I won’t pick at it again, but the gel seems to be offering a healing that is less triggering for me. I have definitely been pleased with the way my incision is healing.

Would it have had that effect 10 weeks ago? I can’t speak to that, though I imagine there is research to answer that question.

Is it worth the $25 that I paid for it? So far, I’d say yes, for my own healing and, more importantly, if it’s keeping unnecessary antibiotics and toxins out of the consumer stream.
 
I keep a bottle of it on hand all the time. It even works for wasp stings and insect bites. Best thing since sliced bread. :heehee:
 
12 weeks yesterday.

Yesterday and today, I seem to have turned a corner. The pain is easier, the swelling is down, and my flexion has returned to the 110 degrees that I got the day of the MUA.

I am hoping that, as my soft tissues recover, the swelling will continue to improve and my flexion will too.

Oh! And we finally got some snow! It’ll be gone by lunch time, but I love it!
 
Last edited:
I’m so glad you’ve turned a corner! Wish our snow would be gone by afternoon lol. We did get a nice sunny day which makes me kind of giddy that spring is on its way but I know it’s much too soon for that here
 
That's good to hear. I'm so pleased for you and hope the improvement continues.

I may have got this wrong, but was it you who was asking about research into anticoagulant treatment after TKR? I found this:

I'm sure I also read something on aspirin versus injections but haven't found that yet.
 
Yay! Have been rooting for you all along and I am glad you have turned the corner. During your struggles you have posted more positive messages for other people than just about anybody. You deserved a good turn.

If you want snow we have a bunch here in Maine and you can have it!
 
You guys are great! I’m sure my knee will act up some more, but, when it settles down, it reminds me that this isn’t a straight line journey, and that’s okay. What really helps is having a place like this to kvetch about my own stuff, but still have opportunities to support others. (Time for me to tap that DONATE button again, I think.)

@Lindylee thanks for the citation.I’ll read that article! I love data!

@sondrals and @Qdogpa I know I would feel differently about snow if I had to function normally in it. I can’t imagine what it’s like where you are. But snow is like magic to me because we moved to North Carolina when I was ten. So, for all of my New York snow experiences, my adults were dealing with the mess of it and I was just sledding and building forts and drinking hot chocolate. In North Carolina, we all just shut down for snow, so it was still a rare treat. No chains on our tires, no long bouts of salty, slush to eat the paint on our cars, no weeks of bitter cold to bundle ourselves up and peel off. Magic!
 
Great to hear from you and know that you are coming along post MUA. I chuckled when you mentioned 'chains' on tires. Thankfully here in SE Michigan we don't get that much snow. Whew! I've never needed chains. But it has been very cold and winter getting OLD...
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom