MUA Done in Time for the Carolina Basketball Game!

It’s so very painful and I have to unstraighten it with my hands
Doing anything with this result is causing more harm than good. Extension takes a while, as there are tough soft tissue behind the knee that need Time and gentle stretching to straighten. Were you at 0 straightening before surgery?

My extension was not 0 at your stage. You cannot rush the healing process of your body. The biggest thing we have to exercise in this recovery is patience. Yes, it’s a long haul. I know that very well as I’ve had one of the slowest recoveries here on Bonesmart. But I did improve, in my body’s own time frame.

Did I like that slowness? Obviously not, but there wasn’t anything I could do about it.

Stressing out didn’t help. :hairpulling:
Melt downs didn’t help.:bawl:

The only thing that helped me was time. You are 10 weeks into a recovery that takes an average of 52 weeks. Mine took way longer than 52 weeks. In fact, I still have issues and it will be 3 years next month. But I’m way better than I was at 10 weeks.
 
Thanks @Jockette. I think my extension has been painful for decades, so I should certainly take that into account. Mostly I feel good about my progress, but sometimes, I lose my way. So much has gone well, and I was disheartened by the possibility that MUAs don’t normally improve extension. I’ll read that article you posted. I think I’ve read it before, but I’ll be reading it with new eyes. Thanks again.
 
Think of how large those tendons and muscles are behind your knee. It takes time to stretch those out, especially since your extension hasn't been 0 for years.

My best way for helping my extension was to walk, with the walker, with longer strides heel to toe. If I had something to hang on it, I wouldn't use the walker. If not, I did. Safety was and is #1 in my mind. I walked with a short stride for many years and took me a while to extend my stride without being fearful of falling. Eventually, my extension improved as did my longer stride.

It's a time thing, again. But, your extension will improve. You still have internal swelling, too. That also hinders your straightening, not just the bend.
 
The others are right.

An MUA usually doesn't help with extension. Even if your leg is forced straight during the MUA, those large muscles and tendons at the back of your leg will shrink back down again, to what they were before. It's the same effect as happens when you stretch a piece of elastic. Once you release the stretch it resumes its previous state.

It takes time and gentle stretching, to help those shortened structures at the back of your leg to stretch gradually - especially if they had shortened before surgery. Do the exercises if you think you should, but stop when they start to cause pain. Continuing the stretching when it's hurting is going to be counter-productive, causing swelling and stiffness.

Aim for slow and steady progress, not a fast improvement.
Remember that you have plenty of time - at least a year from the original surgery. We know, too, that ROM, both flexion and extension, can continue to improve well after that first year.
 
Thanks everyone. Good advice. Going out to buy a couple of jars of new and improved patience. Pretty sure it’s going to taste awful. :heehee:
 
Going out to buy a couple of jars of new and improved patience.
If you find that, let us know!!!

A few years ago we had a member who sent out virtual boxes of patience, in shiny red boxes! It was all pretend but it lightened up the mood. When a “receiving” member got discouraged, she would tell the member to pull that box back out from under the bed and dust it off!
 
We often quote Bert’s ROM improvement, but here’s something he said that really helped me, just before my one year anniversary:
- Forget about your knee and get on with life
- STOP WORRYING!
 
It’s so easy to get so totally focused on this recovery, because it’s always right there in our face. I know, I was in that same place.

My 3 year anniversary is next month. “I’ve come a long way, Baby” in how I look at this recovery now. But I have 3 years of proof to give me confidence to agree with Bert. I’ve seen countless members in these last 3 years that stressed about their ROM only to end up with good ROM and doing things they want to do, and actually forgetting they have an artificial knee.
 
I am scheduled MUA in week, after my LF TKR 5 months ago. Can Not go beyond 105.

I was told I was able to walk after manipulation without walker or any other support?
Please let me know how are you you doing & any advise you can give me.
I am very nervous & worry.
Anyone can please help out please do so. I was told 2 weeks of everyday therapy required.
Few days i need ride to therapy center.
Thanks in Advance
 
I am only doing therapy twice a week, though I’ve heard other doctors prescribe everyday for a few weeks. I do gentle exercises throughout the day, and that seems good so far. My doctor says to do my best to prevent swelling, so I’m trying not to push too hard.

I can walk without my crutches most of the time, though I keep one nearby because sometimes it hurts a lot when I first get up from sitting for a while and the crutch helps until the pain eases up. That pain is improving.

I don’t think the MUA is something to worry over, too much. I’ve had some significant pain, especially day two, but it’s easing up. It felt like I sprained my knee, but it has eased up faster than a real sprain would.

The outcome has been some good gains in flexion and an easier time pushing for more gains.

I hope that’s helpful information.
 
This has been a challenge for me as well. My PT told me that the last few degrees are the hardest and not to worry it will come in time with walking. If I sit with my leg on an ottoman even gravity hurts after a few minutes. Who knew getting extension would hurt more than bending!
 
I was reading @Gel-girl ’s post about recovery since her MUA, and I asked her some questions that I’d like to ask on my own thread.

My pain is worse since my MUA. I think my flexion is still better than 100 when I warm up and ease in. And I really wanted that.

I wonder if the swelling and ROM limitations from before the MUA, which were painful in their own right, also protected me from other pain. I’m approaching this crankier knee as an improvement in the long haul, but, in the short run, I’m having to manage the pain more aggressively than I had three weeks ago.

And, then again, the initial MUA pain reminded me of the pain after both times I tore my ACL, so the cranky knee could just be the expected outcome for me for a while. It’s only been a week since the procedure.
 
:console2: You've just had it all cut back open ...so I would assume you are having more pain because of this, unfortunately I can't answer for you so will leave to someone more knowledgeable but meanwhile sending you pain free hugs:console2:
 
@Sara61 not cut open, for real. But the soft tissues were traumatized again. Thanks for the hugs! I hope you’re continuing to heal well.
 
Ouch just read what a MUA entails for some reason I previously thought that the knee was cut open - one learns something new everyday- yes i can now unerstand the after pain:flabber: here's hoping it goes away soon xxx
I'm doing ok on the whole healing well until I forget and overdo it haha ...seems I'm always going to learn the hard way :gaah:
 
Yesterday my flexion had crept back into the 90s, low 90s before some work to create release. It makes sense because my swelling has been worse. It’s just so frustrating, though. I can’t bear the thought of shutting down my life again so that I can ice, rest, and elevate 24 hours a day. Argh and sigh. Sadness and frustration. No patience!
 
Last edited:
Is Active Skin Repair okay to use before the wound has fully closed?
 
Is Active Skin Repair okay to use before the wound has fully closed?
Yes, according to the information in our banner (top of page) the product can be used immediately following surgery.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom