Guest viewing is limited

THR Done, Dusted & Determined!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're doing amazingly well for one week out @Nana2-8! I would suggest NOT moving to the cane just yet. Wait until you notice you're not really using it for weight bearing, but instead you're almost just pushing it (instead of leaning on it). Then when you try the cane, make sure you aren't limping, otherwise your brain will memorize the limp and you don't want that! Good going on cutting back the Oxy! As long as pain levels don't interfere with your progression, then the sooner you get off of the Oxy the better. :-)
 
@Nana2-8 Slush-brain-- truly describes the feeling. I'm pondering on reducing the oxy but then I feel too uncomfortable and change my mind. I have very little soreness in the joint but do get quite sore in soft tissues and nerve zinging in the quads just above the knee. I learned this morning not to do my exercises until the oxy took hold --big time zinging. OS tells me it will go away but takes time.
I prefer to walk with crutches in the house --easier to navigate transitions from wood to carpet to tile. I'm not ready for using one cane but do push walker along.
 
@Nana2-8 - well done on the successful TED removal and putting them back on. It sounds like you are doing brilliantly. I hated the TEDS so much - as did my husband, towards the end. I have just folded some washing and one rogue TED dropped out from a sheet, where it had obviously been hiding, just as a grisly reminder!

@Cynthia777 - excellent instructions for putting them on. I think someone should do a video!
 
Re TEDS - Mr M is quite strong but made me giggle when he pumped up and gritted his teeth in preparation for putting the little darlings on me. Reckoned his biceps showed a definite enhancement after 6 weeks
 
Oh, @Miss Muffet , that's so funny. We've removed both of the TEDS today!!! For my very first shower!!! ALLEILULAH!!!! ( however it's spelled). Shampoo, full running water, standing able, ....oh the little things for which to be so thankful! Walk-in shower but I was so nervous I asked DH to leave door open and be ready to hold me, just in case. Thus, a bit of a puddle outside the door. Maybe I have the courage to be a "big girl" next time!
I have been off the oxy since Thursday night and am managing on Tylenol 500mg (2 every 4 hours or so) since then. Feels so good to stand up so straight with the walker!! In order to round out my ' red letter day' and since it was only in the high 60's, we decided to take a short walk outdoors. Fresh air!!!--that, of course, drew the attention of our young neighbors....ages 18 months, 8', and 12 , and we had a 'race' with the toddler!! (I let her win.....wanna bet?). Little rascal!!! I kept telling them that this was my first time out....no mercy!!
And, just to top off this fantastic 9th day post-op, I just know you will all join in the celebration of moving bowels!!! Who knew it would come to this??? Now, I am cooling off from my mountain climb, relishing in my TEDS-free legs, and icing my incision and thigh! (DH has headed to office and I secretly think he is fearful of putting the dreaded white knee-highs back on!!!) Have I told you lately how much I'm liking my home-made ice packs? Xxoo
 
I think the bowel issue was the best issue for me.

Congratulations on your recovery and I envy 60 degree weather. That is winter for us and we came home to 109.
 
Oh @Nana2-8, you're doing SO well! My hairdresser just told me that there's a new study out and people who have a positive attitude going into surgery, have much easier and better recoveries and results. That's why you're doing so well...your attitude has always been so good!
 
Thanks @Cynthia777 -let's put it this way: as long as things are going along well, it's easier to have a good attitude. I have been blessed....in that there have been no added complications And compared to dealing with breast cancer last year, this was/is a slam dunk! But I'm careful not to get ahead of myself and perhaps cause a set back. My goal is to pace mysel so as to be able to slowly get back to playing golf this fall when we return back South. Slow and easy wins the race .....By the way.....shouldn't you be packing?
@belweav -we had temps in the 90's last week so that's why I wanted to take advantage of our beautiful weather it should be like this for the next couple of days I feel another walk is on the schedule tomorrow
 
@Nana2-8 Agree about dealing with breast cancer --mine was diagnosed 13 yrs ago and doing great.
I had great hopes for a cooler morning and a walk mid week but the forecast has changed again back to our summer heat. Walking indoors just isn't doing it for me at the moment. Have a great day. Jen
 
@Nana2-8 Catching up on your recovery thread. Good to hear you are doing well and taking it slow. I am learning so much of what to do to make my recovery go smoothly. :)

@Cynthia777 Have a great trip!!
 
Hi @Nana2-8 - just wanted to jump in and say that I agree with you about the THR being easier to deal with than other health problems. I haven't had breast cancer, but I had a small stroke about 18 months ago. It wasnt a "traditional" stroke, as it was a small bleed on the brain caused by a weak blood vessel. I am fully recovered, but it was very scary at the time! I had already started having trouble with my hip and all the medical people said that as I didn't have the normal risk factors for the stroke, it wouldn't be any more risky to have the THR and I should go ahead. I didn't really agree with this, and one of my reasons for choosing my OS was that he agreed with me. He also felt there was no additional risk, but he said that he thought it would be psychologically bad for me to have two traumatic events in the same year, as I'm such an anxious person.

I think one of the reasons that I've had such a positive attitude to my recovery is because the stroke was such a negative thing to happen and I almost feel I'm recovering from two things at once! Sorry if I've hi-jacked your thread, but I just wanted to agree with you and say that I think I understand your perspective on this. Onwards and upwards! :SUNsmile:
 
Never worry about sharing your thoughts @BizzyLizzy ...I understand exactly what you're saying! And, now that we have these events behind us....and are doing well....there ain't nothin' holdin' us down!!!
 
I can just see you now, @Nana2-8 - the sweet little neighbor children quite excited at the prospect of "racing" you!!! :-) Doesn't it feel absolutely wonderful to be out and upright and breathing in the fresh air?! I have absolutely no doubt you'll be swinging away on the golf course in just a few short months, you're recovering so well and so quickly!!! I'm so interested in your ability to be off the oxy in one short week! As much as I've really wanted to be done with the stuff (oh, how I dislike the way it makes me feel!), I still have discomfort that the extra-strength tylenol just doesn't quite touch. I'm predicting that just as I'm getting stronger, standing and walking longer (and yes, even using the cane for short trips!! :yes:), I'll continue to heal and find my need for rx meds decreasing!

So happy you got your "wonder-white knee-highs" off, at least for a little bit! And it wasn't too, too difficult getting them back on, was it? Didn't the shower and the freedom of legs no longer constricted by those boa constrictor-like TEDS feel absolutely amazing?!?!?! :spin:

When is your post-op appt? Does your OS automatically send you to PT, or will that be a choice you make? At the rate you're going, one look at you and the therapist will probably say, "What in the heck are you doing here?" :heehee:

Just wanted to check in and see how things are going! Sending big hugs!! xoxoxox
 
Good Tuesday morning! 13 days post-op. Ordinarily I would be seeing my OS today or tomorrow for my follow-up, but DH is out of town so It has been delayed until next Monday . Which also delays the opportunity to drive again. I have no idea if the OS will (attempt) to send me to PT or not! I hope if they do, they feel as @DizzyBlond ...."What are you wasting our time for?".....and send me out the door! I really can't wait to ditch the walker....for two reasons: it's so cumbersome and limiting....and it just screams "old lady"!!! However, things have been going so well, I would hate to have a back-ward slide.
You know, prior to surgery, I had determined that I wouldn't be one of those who either bragged about every little detail, nor complained about the monotonous process. I had my head set for a 3-6 week slug! So, every day ahead of that mindset is a mental victory in my head. I'm thankful for each day that moves forward without any alert. And the discussion about Tylenol was noteworthy since I was about to go back to my Tylenol PM and needed to take the mg into account - It's a warm and muggy day here so I'll be doing any 'walker-walking' indoors.
My best to all who are making this journey....one day at a time....together!! It's our own Olympics!!!
 
@Nana2-8 It sure is our own Olympics. My goal is to walk tall with elegance. I've ordered some glides for my walker as the rear ones slow me down too much.
My walker is not "old lady" at all --it's a lovely pinky-purple color. It was about $37 when I got it three years ago. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007P57DVM/?tag=ate362da-20
I'm seeing GP today to sort out if I still need oxygen and how to reduce the Percoset.
 
Great update @Nana2-8! You really have the mental attitude down pat! Just a few minutes ago I was reading a study about joint replacement recoveries and how a positive attitude affects recovery. I was amazed at how much it does help with lowering the pain experienced and actually improves patient outcomes. I guess it's that "mind over matter" thing. In a few short days, you will be driving and most likely moving from your walker to a cane (or at least switching back and forth between them). When I moved to the cane I noticed I started limping if I didn't concentrate on every step, so I would use the cane for short spurts and increased slowly. I had read on BS how our brains actually "learn" that limping is our norm and we need to retrain the brain to walk normally. I still find myself with a slight limp if I'm really tired, so I make sure I'm consciously aware of it and nip it in the bud right away. This is quite the journey, isn't it? Congrats on your progress! Just wait until you hit 90 days! :-)
 
Hey CC - who let you in??? Shouldn't you be straining beach sand thru your toes? - Thanks for popping in....check on others....and get back to......LIFE!!!! Xxoo
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom