THR Done, Dusted & Determined!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kathy, I think your "big news of the day" deserves a bit TA-DA!!!!!!! I had to laugh - you "supplemented" with 2 chocolate covered prunes and saw results so quickly!?!? I, on the other hand, had bowlfuls of stewed prunes, handfuls of figs, with a final topper of Milk of Magnesia for good measure (and desperation :rolleyes:)!!!!

And home alone today without a hitch? GREAT news!!! And you're only 4 DAYS POST-OP!!!!! Have you seen your incision yet? And have you noticed swelling yet? My PT was here today, and I mentioned to her that it would appear that perhaps I had not only a joint replacement, but an upper leg transplant, as well! Good grief - my yoga pants look hilarious!!! She said, "Just stop and think about everything they did in there!" Well, I fully intend on getting the details from my OS tomorrow when I see him for my post-op - Doctor, just WHAT kind of party did you have going on in there? :wink:

You're doing an amazing job of keeping ME inspired, Dancing Queen!!!! Rest, ice, rest, ice, and keep making us laugh!!! :yes!:
xoxox

think about it.....every single time I have to get up (to go potty, to sitting on the toilet, getting up from that,then sitting/laying back down, then elevating leg)

Please forgive me. I know it makes sense and I am sorry to ask the question - I guess for me I like to know the bad stuff as well as the good stuff so I know what I am in for.

I am so glad that you are progressing well and I do love reading your thread.

@JMACCA -do you mean you want more info? The brutal part as it relates to getting up and down-I would liken to when you were young and a 'friend' would grab you wrist and twist one way with one hand and the other way with the other. That's how it felt....but even that has become less today

young and a 'friend' would grab you wrist and twist one way with one hand and the other way with the other.

Thank you @Nana2-8 - that is great knowing that and understanding that what @Cynthia777 says
That goes to show you how every THR is somewhat different, as I didn't experience more than an achy pain upon standing.
is really important, to me anyway. I think it is about getting realistic about the actual process - it is not all rainbows and unicorns there is real healing that needs to take place. I think we know that in our heads but it is important that we hear the actual stuff and what it feels like from those that have been there before us. I think getting up for the first time freaks me out the most - trying to imagine what that is like and helps me by taking away the 'unknown' element. Sorry if I was being too nosey.

That's how it felt....but even that has become less today

That is really awesome that the feeling is going away! Progress! :yes!:

@JMACCA - the only unicorns in my recovery process were the ones that I felt may have attacked me when I had done too much. Or maybe it was a herd of buffalo! :rotfl: For me that has been how the recovery pain has felt, rather than the tedious, grinding pain I had before. I'm sure others can relate!

Standing up the first time was scarey because I felt so drugged. Then, at home, I felt like a novice. Each time thereafter it became easier. - @DizzyBlond , as much as yesterday's minor escape deserving a big "TA DA", today was a minor hum.....or no-go! But.....I have great news!!! A dear friend came over specifically to help me wash my hair! I feel like a new person!!! Tho I was always a make-up every day kinda gal, haven't worn anything more than tinted lip gloss
In other news, I tried weaning from the oxy. Why? I guess I didn't like being so groggy. I've been icing 24/7 and the oxy didn't upset my stomach or anything. I guess I wanted to avoid cemented bowels But, I also don't want to play catch-up on pain. So, I've gone back to the oxy as of this afternoon

Who knew that a freshly shampooed head of hair could bring such delight?!?!?! Oh, it's a wonderful feeling!!! You're exactly right, @Nana2-8 - we heal more quickly and efficiently if our bodies aren't trying to combat the pain on top of it all! I thought I'd try the same thing... stopped the oxy for one night (around day 5 post-op), and that was all it took for me to realize that there was a reason I was prescribed it! I simply made the adjustments in my diet (you know, prunes, prune juice, figs, bran, etc.) and I was fine! Also, CC mentioned this to me - try taking a couple capsules of magnesium capsules, as well - you'll not only avoid the cemented bowels, but you'll recovery much more comfortably! (By the way, what mg. of oxy were you prescribed? I was given a 5 mg. oxy/325 mg. acteminophen combination.)

Hey you @DizzyBlond - I hear ya' - I have to be patient and that means resting and avoiding pain. I'm on exactly the same as you....5 mg oxy, and 325 aspirin .....foggy brain here, you have a combo pill? Mine are separate

Clean hair!!! Getting there. However, I have not removed the TEDS....cuz I'm afraid to have to put them back on!!! So, I'm still using the body wipes That's OK since I'm afraid of the shower....don't feel steady enough yet

Yep, combo pill of oxy5 mg WITH 325 mg of tylenol. And I was just today cleared for a shower! I'm waiting for my next PT appt on Thursday here at the house so she can show me how to manage the shower chair and step-in tub. I'm nervous about that, too. And I'm wearing the TEDS for another 2 weeks. OOOOOh, they're so confining sometimes!!!!

Wednesday - (day whatever ?) - Yesterday while my friend was here to help wash my hair, she answered the door for me. It was from dear friends in California.....land of our wonderful @Cynthia777 and @DizzyBlond ...and it was a big Edible Arrangement of fruit! So pretty, hated to break into it, but we had to in order to fit it into the fridge! We called it lunch! And here we are this morning......and I no longer need to be concerned about cemented bowels!!! YEA!!! These friends....he's had two THR and when I thanked them, I told them they knew the merits of fiber! Bless them....it worked.
Had a rather sleepless night last night so will probably do a lot of napping today. Rather like a baby's schedule if I could make any recommendation, it might be....try not to be recovering during a Presidential campaign season!!! I can't just put the phones on mute. I DO want to talk to friends etc but boy those robo calls to both land line and cell are annoying and disruptive. My problem with sleep last night was these darn TEDS - felt they were digging in under my knee (which my mind immediately went to - blood clots?). And I don't know if the oxy causes more trips to the bathroom, but I had to get up three times! And getting up and down is a process....the ice packs, the elevating pillows, the head pillow, the walker within reach. Not like before surgery when it was a quick, albeit painful, process.
Nap time calling already. Time to put the relatively clean hair down for a snooze. Will check in on the other hip buddies later

Well done! My hubby said if the BM wasn't forthcoming he'd send a ferret up - fortunately that didn't materialise. And how thoughtful of your friends sending fruit. :angel:
Know what you mean about the TEDS digging in and strangling the legs. Almost made me feel they were doing more harm than good. Yes, all that disruption of nightime loo visits are by no means the quick nip they are for someone able bodied. Waking and knowing you need to make the trip made me visibly groan. BUT on a brighter note, you do sound to be doing well (and chipper with it) - things will impove, and do keep napping. You can't beat it :chillpill:

Go Nana, go!! I'm still over here rooting for you!!!

Yeah! @Nana2-8 Fiber and fluids are THE solution..... along with my fabulous bran muffins and yogurt.
I had no TEDS --entire hospital stopped using them xxxx we used the leg pump thingies in the hospital. Finish Lovenox injections tomorrow.

Okay @Chihuahuan - now you're just braggin' ! What I wouldn't give to rip these things off and burn them! I'm already trying to figure out how to plead my case at my post-op follow-up I have been told I can ditch the one one the United-operated leg.....it's the other one I can't wait to deep six! How are you doing? I'll skip over to your thread

What a perfect gift for anyone home and recovering from surgery - Edible Arrangements! Not only lovely to look at, delicious to snack on, but the additional "gift" of bowel relief is a hidden bonus!!! Restless nights, groaning and realizing you need a fresh ice pack and a pain pill as you pull your tired self from bed and onto the walker to head to the bathroom.... Sounds so familiar!!! For any consolation it might be worth, with me being just a bit ahead of you on the recovery timeline, I'm finding the nights are getting easier - the surgical pain is definitely decreasing bit by bit, the potty stops (as my grands call them) are lessening... and wonder of wonders, I PEELED MY TEDS OFF AND TOOK A SHOWER this morning!!!!! (Well, John peeled them off.... hehe - there's absolutely no way on earth this could be a post-surgical one person job!!!!) Oh, you've got a little taste of heaven waiting for you, Kathy!!! :happydance:Soap and warm water, shampoo and conditioner have NEVER felt so good! Even though I have to wear the TEDS for another 2 weeks, I was given permission to "take breaks" from them every day, so I took the liberty of washing them out this morning - while they're outside drying in the bright, warm Southern California sunshine, I'm totally loving the FREEDOM - at least until John gets home from work and we try to pull those things back on! (Oh, that's gonna be fun! :dubious:)

@Miss Muffet - HA! I laughed out loud when reading of your husband's "helpful" suggestion to get you some "ferret support" in the plumbing department! Yes, thank goodness you were able to avoid that one! :heehee:

With regard to those darn TEDS....from the get-go, my reading material said I could remove the TEDS at night! The only reason I haven't was because I'm afraid to put them back on! DH and I have just decided...we are taking the one off the good leg tonight....to do a trial run for putting them back on in the morning (This should result in another sit-com!!! Stay tuned!)

The TEDS are horrible! I couldn't wait to get rid of them. I will say, the first time hubby puts them on you will be a real challange. Just make sure he doesn't roll them up like one does when putting on a child's sock. What worked for me was to have hubby roll them just a little bit at the top and then slip your foot in. Follow that by pulling them up at the ankle a little bit at a time (not sure if I'm explaining this so you can understand it). After removing them and putting them back on a couple of times, they get easier and easier to put back on. I think they must stretch out a little bit. Fortunately I only had to wear them for two weeks! :)

Well, one week post-op! We did the TEDS experiment last night...on the good leg. And tried putting it back on this morning....successfully you know what I've decided? This whole mission can't be all that bad if one week later my biggest angst is these awful stockings!!! - a little bed-head, chilly body wipes, rumbling bowels, slow walking with the walker....all in all....not too bad I've decided to use the oxy every other time (2 times a day instead of 4) and keep up the icing. I really feel no discomfort (can't even call it pain) so would rather be a bit more alert and less 'slushy brained'. - I often feel like I could take a few steps alone....or with a cane...but don't want to copy what Dizzyblonds went thru. This is truly an exercise in patience!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads