Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR Doing the double!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Officially 1 week on from my op and I'm trying to settle into a regular routine at home, so meds, PT, ice, sleep and occasionally short walks round the patio. Nothing major to report, simply getting into a rhythm and keeping the slow and steady recovery going. Let the peace and progression continue.

Only notable things are my thighs and knees are swollen massively but the bruising hasn't travelled as far as expected. More to come no doubt.

Most useful post op things so far
E45 cream for under the TEDS
Bed wedge so I can sleep at an angle
Foot wedge for....

Ps - no bathroom yet, but I have a new patio to sleep in the sun when I can
 
Last edited by a moderator:
How not to start the day!

So, I've been improving daily, following my mantra, being totally sensible (for a change) and not risking anything at all in my recovery. Then - BANG - this morning I've had what I can only describe as a near dislocation experience on my left side. The pain was & still is excruciating (a new 10 for me!) but at least it's still in place. The action I was attempting - no, not pole vaulting or trampolining - I was doing the last upright manoeuvre on my crutches to get into my chair and all I can think is I misplaced my left foot as my whole left side folded. I have no idea how I caught myself before the "pop" but somehow I did. Needless to say I'm not the happiest bunny on the planet at the moment. So simple to do, but one little bit of inattention and boom.

So all my fellow pre and post hippies reading this, please be careful out there. The simplest of things can catch you out.

Plan for the day, up the pain meds, don't do anything stupid (again) and get back onto the recovery track.

Have fun one and all


Ps - I really must get this moved to the recovery side.
 
Oh Andy how horrible! I am as bad as you 6 weeks ago fell down 2 steps! Am I stupid? No! Neither are you but I hope that your plan for today sorts you out. Take care.
 
Oh shoot!
So sorry to hear this and hope the rest and ice help with the pain and inflammation.
I can just imagine your frustration.
:(
 
Good morning one and all,

The plan yesterday seems to have worked and things are getting back on track, albeit with my left hip probably about 2-3 days behind the right after the mishap. Plan for the day is more of the same and make sure I don't mess anything else up. Good news is the innards appear to be working with only natural assistance. Here's hoping for a quiet normal day with no surprises.
 
Greater hear that you are back on track @AndyH99 after yesterday's incident.These things do seem to happen and serve as a reminder to be very careful in these early days.Wishing you an uneventful recovery from now on.
 
Wonderful - it shows the hips have strength even less than 2 weeks post op. Whew!
 
Hi one and all,

Great recovery day so far today, PT going well with better mobility starting to show on some movements, meds running to schedule with no need for the morphine and I managed my first walk of any note outside the house a whole 50 yards, but darn it felt good.

Does anyone know if I can get this thread moved to the recovery side please?

Have a great recovery/preop prep day, back to my box set marathon and ice bags now.
 
@AndyH99 I'm going to tag our mods for you about moving your thread over tto the recovery side AND give you the Bilateral tag you've earned! @Jaycey @Jamie Mods can you please help with this? Thanks
 
Good day one and all,

So far another great recovery day, I've learnt that my bodies recovery system will send me to sleep at the drop of a hat if I drain it too much but I feel pretty good on waking afterwards. Last night was one of my best nights sleep in a very long time, I only woke up once for a 15min period to ease off a bit of pain and then it was off again. So almost 6 hours straight, at this rate I'll soon be human after a nights sleep.

A Sunday morning treat from my wife, baked beans on toast with a nice stack of bacon and a large mug of tea, perfect fuel for my longest walk yet. I'm not totally sure how bilateral progression should be going at just under two weeks post-op but I've managed 200yds on two crutches with a good steady gait and well balanced movement. This was always going to be an interesting stage for me as I've always "glided" as I've moved (unconscious action due to my hips) and never really walked with feet straight and heel-toe action. Going well though and it feels like another week or so and I might be able to use just one crutch indoors for short periods. Needless to say, the walk followed by ice packs sent me to sleep. Long live the afternoon snooze.

The only other thing of note is some of the swelling is reducing and I'm starting to get some amazing colours come out on my legs as the bruising is developing.

Have a great recovery day one and all.
 
So happy your journey is progressing. I'm just 4 days in with 1 hip. I can't imagine having 2 at the same time! My thigh is swollen, but no sign of color yet. From reading your pre op routine I think you may try to push it, so take it easy. And then remind me to take my own advice!
 
I have a horrible feeling my body has just said enough for a while. I thought I was resting and exercising at a balanced pace with copious amounts of sleep thrown in but last night hit with a vengeance, a combination of night sweats, bone deep aches all over and oedema in the thighs sufficient for me to be able to leave nigh on a full hand print, not to mention feeling a bit tearful at times as well. Whilst I expect some payback if I push a little this seems excessive. Here's hoping I can sleep this morning and back off enough today to not loose , but any ideas to stop the night sweats would be greatly appreciated.

Edit - I did have to use oral morphine for a few days to counter some nasty pains & I cut that out yesterday so I'm also wondering if that might be a contributory factor
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Getting back to a better balance will help you overall and more restful sleep will follow. Seems to be difficult to find that balance because the consequences of over doing it are so delayed and dramatic.
 
A rough and challenging day, not only did the cold sweats continue but I was also a muppet and sleep through my alarm for my midday pain meds. Sleep is a wonderful thing but I really must make sure to leave at least one brain cell working for such things. Hopefully back on track now and letting my inner control freak take thing over for a bit.

As for the edema on my legs, every time I "play" with it to see if it's getting worse I get the old time "love letters in the sand" song start up in my head; it's quite strange how the mind works some days. I did have a chat with the hospital about it and we will be keeping an eye out to ensure nothing gets worse over the week.

Fingers crossed for an uneventful and sleep filled night. Have a great recovery day one and all.
 
@AndyH99 sorry that you are having a rough day and how frustrating that you slept through the time that your painkillers were due.Do you think that the cold sweats are due to withdrawal symptoms from the morphine ? I went through the same with intense shivering after I stopped taking Tramadol.I will refuse to take the stuff this time and will try to stick with codeine with paracetamol.My only concern is what to take in the middle of the night as you can only take 4 doses per 24 hours.What are you doing for analgesia at night ?

Anyway just think that each day you are healing a little bit more bringing you closer to your recovery.I hope you sleep well tonight as that really helps.
 
@Kim22 I think it might be the morphine withdrawal, at least I'm hoping that's the cause as at least that will one problem out of the way and not a daft cold starting up.

I'm still using the tramodol on a 6 hour cycle, so it's 23:30 & 05:30 for me, the sole advantage being 5:30 is my usual wake up time so it doesn't feel awkward, assuming I sleep. as you say though, each day is a step closer - thank you, sometimes that slips from sight.
 
Hi AndyH Hope you feel better overnight. Keep an eye on your temperature if you don't feel better - just in case.
Sleep well!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom