Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR Doing the double!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @AndyH99 ,
I read your new lyrics to the song "Banana Boat" and just laughed and laughed.
Honestly, when to lose the crutches and/or sticks is up to the individual. Rule of thumb is: When you feel confident to do so and can walk without a limp while not using them. I used 2 crutches until about the end of week 4 and then nothing. One was not recommended to me because it's not symmetrical (but then again - I only had left ip replacement).

I also laughed about calling yourself a Muppet. I didn't experiment with the pain meds, but I actually did a similar experiment with the walking aids. I tried to leave them behind too soon (week 3 1/2) and got told off by my pysios and my daughter. Actually, in the 80s we called each other Muppets - my whole family. But it was meant to be affectionate, not in order to expose each other to ridicule. We watched the Muppet Show then and enjoyed it - first it was me who called my husband a Muppet, then he called me that, and then we called the children Muppets. I called my second daughter Muppet even when she was still a teenager - Melanie Muppet - I thought that sounded so sweet.

Enjoy your new wet room. While I found icing pleasant in the early days post-OP, there is nothing like running warm water down your sore thighs after an exhausting walk/exercise. It has always helped me after long cycle rides, runs, swims in cold water....

How is physio now? Better? I know - they always do that over here in Germany, too - paperwork - questionnaires: Asking you what's your profession? How many stairs do you have in your house? How far away is the car park at work from your office? I wish they'd get on with the practical work. Great recovery to you! C.
 
@AndyH99 :rotfl: Love the song lyrics I used a walker for a little while post surgery - about a week I think. Then went to 2 crutches as they were easier to use around my home. After a week or so I was using just one crutch around the house but 2 if I went outside. When I began getting up and forgetting to get the crutches I moved to one cane and carried that for a while - more as a psychological crutch and a "warn away" for others. At my 6 week visit with OS I just took the cane and actually carried it over my shoulder like a rifle while walking down the hall to exam room ..... nurse accused me of showing off - I replied with a big grin "Why yes I am!" :snork: Do what feels best to you - you will know when you can give up all walking aids
 
Love the revised lyrics to one of my favorite oldies @AndyH99. It looks like you are doing remarkably well considering you went for the double whammy! I am in awe of those who choose this option. I hope your sleeping habits improve soon. I am one who has never had any problem with getting good sleep, except when I am constantly interrupted by medical personnel that need to do this or do that. Once I got home, it was heaven. Now my only interruption is having to get up in the middle of the night to tinkle. But I get right back in bed and off to dreamland again. I do hope you get to that point soon. Have a great night and sleep well, my friend. I'll try and send over some of my sleep fairies to you. :)
 
Lol funny lyrics

So I did the 2 crutch 2 sticks 1 stick none

1 made my other hip hurt. Ie the one i wasnt supporting with a stick, erm the hip the stick was next to, started aching instead. So in house dumped the one stick.

When outside did 2 sticks. Now I cart one stick about just in case I want to lean on it.

You will find your own way you just need to practice with the

2 crutch, 1 crutch, 1 stick, none
Daylight come and I wanna limp home
2 crutch, 2 stick, 1 stick, none
Daylight come and I wanna limp home

Crutches, me say Crutches
Daylight come and I wanna limp home


I keep singing that now x
 
love the song lyrics! Andy you are making progress... tooling around in a car already! ;) Hope the PT goes better next time.
 
Good morning one and all,

For a nice change I really mean good! Baring a minor interruption I've slept from 12 - 7:30, the first time in longer than I can remember! I almost feel human, strange as that may seem

The other big news is I've taken my first half dozen steps unaided. It wasn't very pretty and a little stilted but it feels so damned good to have made that leap it sort of pushes the pain into the background, at least for the moment.

Outside of this it's the usual fun of pain, PT, rest, ice, elevation, tea and chocolate. Some of the bone deep ache is easing off and the exhaustion and energy drain is still running its course, fingers crossed it eases off over the next week. The funny thing for me this week is I jumped on the scales and since coming home, even though I've eaten anything that hasn't moved quick enough, I've lost 9.5lbs. I have no clue how but I'm not complaining.

Have a great recovery day everyone.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Great update @AndyH99 ! Real progress there! I lost 14 lbs after my LTHR. I think much of it was because I was finally able to move around more.

Happy healing!
 
Good morning @AndyH99 ! A good night's sleep is a wonderful thing! Progress!
The weight loss sounds like a good benefit, too!
 
Hi @AndyH99 You are doing great and yes what a difference a good nights sleep makes.I also lost weight during my recovery despite eating exactly what I liked.I was surprised but someone told me that your body needs a lot of calories to recover from major surgery.I only hope I have the same experience this time and I am able to get rid of those few extra pounds I have gained due to inactivity.
 
Thanks for your message @CricketHip and yes it is getting very close for us both.I have had a few good days this week which most people seem to get just to fool you into thinking we don't need the op but the pain is back today just to remind me and is probably due to me doing more than usual.I hope you are ok
 
@AndyH99
Sounds like you have rounded a corner. Hopefully, you will continue to have nights filled with wonderful sleep.
I have chalked the weight loss up to a couple of things...lots of fluid loss from the surgery, itself. And, atrophied muscles weigh less than toned/built up muscle. We lost a lot of muscle tone before, during and after the surgery and once we start building those muscles up again, we will probably gain a few pounds back. At least, I'm hoping so...if for nothing else, just to look better. And the other reasons posted above make perfect sense, as well.
So glad to hear you are starting the weekend off on the right foot (no pun intended). Have a great day!
 
@AndyH99 So glad to hear of your continued progress! A couple times I have found myself taking off without my cane and after a few steps in I feel a little lost. Sleep is a good thing. :sleep: Makes everything seem a little brighter.
Here's to more good days!
 
Good day one and all,

I've got a general query about exercise progression if anyone has any info please? I'm looking to find out when it's safe to start looking at things like press ups, planks, chin ups and mountain climbers as exercises to start getting basic body weight fitness going again? Naturally I'm going to quiz the physio this week but I'm curious about collective experiences given the nature of the exercises I'm looking to slowly feed into my PT sessions. Yes, I know it's still early in my recovery but as a confirmed exercise addict I'm looking to line up some stuff to look forward to as I progress.

You might ask why I don't just try them, but my concern is focused on the way in which you need to fix, flex and/or hold the abdominal and pelvic regions in the exercises and whether it would place undue stress on the region if tried too early in the recovery cycle.

Anyhow, back to my simple stroll round the block on crutches and Donald Duck impressions whilst doing clam shells

Have a great recovery day


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Ok, so it's raining and walks around the block aren't on the schedule - so - I've got my new toy out

[Bonesmart.org] Doing the double!


darn it works well, no pain from the movement. Now I wait to see if there are any after effects. Fingers crossed.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Great update @AndyH99 ! Real progress there! I lost 14 lbs after my LTHR. I think much of it was because I was finally able to move around more.

How different we all are! I gained almost 40 pounds in the past 6 months since surgery! YIKES! :badspidy:
 
@AndyH99 I am very curious to see the responses to your questions. I am a gym rat and want to get back to my routine including planks, situps etc. I wouldn't mind being told not to do mountain climbers or burpees, but honestly I would rather be able to do them and complain about it! I also enjoy weightlifting. Since I don't get any PT, I don't know when I can start doing anything - even a stationary bike. I know it's early yet, but I want to have a plan. I can't seem to find anything online and when I do, it's for posterior.
 
@AndyH99 Alright, 27 days ago you were put on "reset"! Let your body tell you what crutch or two or any thing as you are still quite early in your recovery. Now, its the bone that is healing around the implant and the deep trauma that's still going on. You cannot be the "Hare" here but the slow and steady no setback Andy! The foundation is set ,now let it cure to get optimum strength! Way to go!
 
I know it's early yet, but I want to have a plan. I can't seem to find anything online and when I do, it's for posterior.
I had posterior during my LTHR. I was allowed to start using a stationary bike and all the equipment in the gym after my 6 weeks followup. However, all equipment was to be used WITHOUT resistance until I was 3 months out. Then a very slow and gradual building in resistance. Do too much and you will only set yourself back. We see this here far too much. As Michegon says - slow and steady.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom