Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR Doing the double!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best wishes AndyH99, love your humor. :-)
 
Woohoo - both hips done and out of the intensive care area yesterday afternoon. I've had the closest thing to a pain free night since so long ago I can't remember.

I'm now on the start of day 2, I've had my first shuffle around on crutches and I'm sitting beside my hospital bed as I type.

Loads of pain killers but I'm not complaining and the PT starts later today.

I can't thank the team at Epsom SWELEOC enough, they have made it so easy and stress free it's been amazing.

Not to mention everyone on Bonesmart helping me through the journey.

More updates soon when I get things a bit more under. Take care fellow hippies and be in touch soon.
 
Great news! You did it!
And already sitting up and "shuffling".
Looking forward to your updates, hope day 2 is another good one.
 
Congratulations @AndyH99 You sound very positive I shall look forward to following your progress.
 
I can't thank the team at Epsom SWELEOC enough, they have made it so easy and stress free it's been amazing.
Hi @AndyH99
Glad you are on the other side, raring to go!
I love it when there are positive mentions about the NHS services. There is so much good in the NHS but it does get over shadowed at times. Well done Andy!
 
@AndyH99 @copsham I couldn't agree with you more.I for one am very grateful for the NHS and cannot fault the care I received in the hospital when I had my first hip done.The care was just as good during the night as it was during the day.We in UK are very fortunate to have it
 
Scary thing is, I have private medical insurance with my company but they wouldn't cover my choice of surgeon or hospital so by staying with the NHS I received the care of one the best surgeons I could possibly get in the UK!
 
Day 2 has been a little rockier but still positive, on the downside my heart rate has been racing at times and my temperature was up, but, that's being brought under control so I can't complain. The physio work is going well, this afternoon I made it as far as the outside of my side room before I got a little dizzy, so baby steps but good ones as they didn't hurt - woohoo! Let's hope for another almost pain free night and lots of naps. At the current rate my target is to be heading home Monday, not so much due to a slow recovery but because we are still waiting for the builders to complete our new bathroom & it won't be a safe environment till then. The overall experience so far is so positive and helpful it's making the whole recovery process easier.

As a side note I'm quite surprised at how small the scars are on both sides and to date I haven't had a lot of swelling, but I expect that to start more as I get more mobile. I'm just waiting to see what pretty colours come up on my legs.
 
It sounds like your recovery has got off to a good start Andy.Did you have a spinal as most people who have one get dizzy spells.Did they do the hips by the anterior approach ?
 
Hi, yes I had the anterior approach on both hips and a spinal epidural, now they tell me about dizzy spells :-)

I must say I was impressed by the epidural as I kept mine in for the first day and a bit to make the first mobility session easier. Wow was there a difference when I tried the same session without it in!
 
It's funny but I never heard of anyone having an anterior never mind a bilateral in the UK until I heard about Suzette who had the same as you.I know these procedures are common place in the U.S. but very rare over here.Most still have posteriors in the UK with its longer recovery time and restrictions.Your surgeon must be way ahead compared to most.
 
The gents name is Professor Richard Field if you get curious. I know the SWELEOC centre is one of the biggest elective orthopaedic hospitals in the UK and I believe a fair number of the surgeons here perform the anterior approach. Let's just say I got lucky with where I live:)
 
You did indeed.Is that in London ?
 
Epsom in Surrey, just outside of the London sprawl.
 
Just checked out the hospital online.It looks very impressive with good reviews.I have a friend who lives in Camberley, Surrey.Her husband just had a THR but he had it done in a private hospital.
 
Start of day 3, all I can really say is "OUCH"! Swelling and bruising is coming out with a vengeance, only about 3 hours sleep and the damned pain is back :gaah:

There is a real danger of me becoming grumpy today.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom