Guest viewing is limited

THR Doing Great

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, pag ... congrats on the shower and getting those staples out! I couldn't shower for several weeks! And I worried I was starting to reek! You're right to keep elevating that foot. And rest and ice. It's like we're always on rotation: sitting for a while; then, standing or walking; lying down. Icing. Elevating. Hang in there and let us know how you're doing. Also ... if you figure out how to cut your toenails on the operated side, let us know! It's the sixty-four-thousand-dollar question around here. :)
 
Thank you, Josephine and Peaches. . My wife has volunteered to cut my toenails, but I'm with you. . would love to figure it out! Moving along and will be headed back to work full time on July 8. I'm trying to walk around our house and much as possible and continue the exercises that the PT left for me after discharge. The one thing that I'm finding after going to a restaurant is that the leg gets a little stiff after sitting at a table. I need to remember to get up and walk from time to time.
 
Pag, you sound as if you are doing really well. Just resist the impulse to go, go, go. You still need to rest and ice and elevate lots even though you are feeling better and stronger.
 
Pag, you sound as if you are doing really well. Just resist the impulse to go, go, go. You still need to rest and ice and elevate lots even though you are feeling better and stronger.

. . Good advice!
 
Pag, I'm about a week ahead of you, my surgery was 5/14. Many differences in what you and I have gone through, but at this point I know that I'm still mending, and not as far along as I'd like to be.

I had mine done with the anterior approach, and for me I had very little pain and no hip precautions. Tomorrow is 5 weeks for me and I'm still using a crutch or a cane part time. I still have swelling in my leg and it seems to have stalled around my knee, with the resulting knee pain making me need a cane or crutch. I continue to ice and elevate (it took me some time to realize that elevation is really important as well as icing) a few times a day. Advil in the morning and late afternoon alleviates my knee pain a lot and allows me to move around with out walking aids.

Working to gain strength in my quad, gluts, i t band etc. and am making progress, albeit slower than I want. I've realized that no matter how successful the surgery felt after a week or 2, it probably takes everyone a good 2 + months before they even get to something like 75%. It seems everyone asks if I'm walking without a cane or crutches, and I feel like they're measuring me against some standard that they don't really understand anyway, so I just tell them I'm doing great!

Good luck and be patient !

Kay
 
Kay so sorry hear of your pain. I can image that you are frustrated (as was I with the swelling). You seem determined to succeed with the work that you are doing to gain strength. As an old athlete, I've always believe that determination and work will get you where I want to be! Best wishes to you!
 
pag restaurants?? Wow, I'm jealous :) I got to church two weeks in a row, but last Sunday I cut the experience short for my comfort. If I found a restaurant that would have an extra chair to elevate on....I might think of it. I'm still elevating and icing for hours and hours a day! I'm glad to hear you're doing so well.
Kay NY I like the advil too. I was done with my once-daily Celebrex last Friday, and Saturday night added advil to the bedtime cocktail-- what a relief! Things were much more comfortable for better sleep :) You are so right about people measuring against an unknown standard-- and your answer is the right one. We walk, we are thought to be all better. Ha, Ha. Well, before I had this surgery I had no idea either, so we're in the same boat all together :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom