Guest viewing is limited

THR Doing Great

Status
Not open for further replies.
pag The 90 degree rule should be well explained in the article Josephine just posted for you. It's basically not letting the hip flexion go less than 90 degrees (say 45 degrees, or even 100 degrees.) I wish I could draw it.. When you sit, the angle of your back in relation to you hips should be 90 deg or more, e.g. sitting upright, or leaning slightly back. You should not lean forward, but be more like a capitol L. Do I explain it right? That way your hips don't flex too much - you don't want to be like a < . Same for going forward when standing. No bending to touch the ground, pick up something on the floor, put on socks, shoes, etc. I hope I didn't confuse you. Best to read the article. :)
 
pag, I think that people are amazed when they see how much you can do after hip replacement surgery. After the first two weeks I was making some meals again. I'm glad you were able to go home, I'm sure you feel so much better there. I agree the anticipation of surgery is worse than the reality of it.
 
It's basically not letting the hip flexion go less than 90 degrees (say 45 degrees, or even 85 degrees.)
Actually, that should be more than not less. The leg when standing it at 0 degrees. Hip at right angles to that is 90 degrees and any further up is moving towards 180 degrees! liked this ​
​
[Bonesmart.org] Doing Great
​
​
​
​
But I argue semantics! :wink: ​
 
Thanks for the correction Josephine! Gee, I don't want to give anyone the wrong information. That's why I tagged you, to be sure I was explaining it right. I know what I meant, I just got my angles and degress mixed up! I didn't do so well in geometry class, either, by the way... :blush:
Sorry pag. Josephine's pictures are a good visual for understanding the angles. So no toe touching on the balance beam, OK? :heehee:
 
Hi, pag. I agree completely about the 90-degree pictures with x's. I am six weeks post op and I STILL have days where I think oops I am doing some of these things wrong. I hope you're continuing to feel well as it sounds like you have been so far. We all know we are supposed to take things easy and not overdo ... but it's inevitable that sometimes we have to test that limit to see what exactly "overdo" means. I agree with you too about getting everything taken care of before the surgery as soon as possible. I did NOT do that and I was stressed out to the max right up to the final hour. If I had one thing I could do over, it would be that: prepare much much earlier. I didn't even have all the laundry done and had to do a bunch right before surgery. Well, live and learn.
How are you doing today?
 
Thanks for the info, all. Peaches: doing better and moved from walker to cane. One frustration is the fact that my foot has "balloned" out and looks almost twice it's pre-surgery size. I had been putting ice on the foot itself, but our PT nurse suggested that we continue to ice the surgercial incision area and that the swelling is normal and would go down with rest and elevation. Anything wrong that that take? . . Just taking it slow till I see doctor next Tuesday for removal of staples.
 
You're what....9 days out from surgery? Swelling is pretty normal, especially if you're overactive, which I believe you mentioned several days ago. So yes, REST, REST, and then REST some more. Here's a couple articles on swelling from the library.

Swelling: controlling swelling with compression
Swelling in the leg; or is it a clot?

The second article refers to knees, but it's important for all of us to know when a clot is a possibility, so I included it.

Tagging Josephine just to be safe.

Sharon
 
  • Informative
Reactions: pag
It's never a really good idea to ice hands and feet as the nerves and blood vessels are so close to the surface. Elevation should be enough for the swelling in your feet. But don't worry as you are so early in your recovery these things are bound to occur for no apparent reason. But time will sort it out eventually. Just be calm and follow the mantra!
 
Sounds like you are doing just fine but because you are feeling good you can sometimes do too much so remember to take things easy. I remember my foot swelling a few days after surgery, in fact if I remember right, the whole leg and foot swelled up so yes I'd say it was quite normal. :)
 
pag, It sounds like you are experiencing what happens when you over do things..:umm:I hope the swelling settles down soon but if you follow the instructions that you have already been given, I'm sure you will be fine. Take things slow, now you need to go forward very slowly....at least for a while.
 
pag lovely holly tree stakeout last Sunday! Do you get cedar waxwings on migration stripping all the berries? That happens in my neighborhood.
I really understand your wife's trepidation-- my husband had the same, and actually so did I. I had NO idea just how mobile I would be when I got home. My husband was looking for a class in "The Care and Feeding of Hip Replacement Wives" LOL.
Congrats on the move to cane! I keep running mine into things..... :)
 
Hello pag I hope my explaination of the 90 degree rule helped you out, even if I may have gotten the #s wrong. You get the picture.
So now that my credibility is in question......I just wanted to say that if you elevate the foot, it should help with the swelling. You know, prop the leg up on a few pillows, but don't kink the hip too much.
Glad you're doing fine otherwise!
 
Hi, pag. Yes, I had Balloon Leg (foot and ankle, really) for a week or so after the surgery. I did not ice it, but did elevate it. I iced the hip. I kept showing it to the PT who made home visits to get her opinion and she never thought it looked bad (or unusual for a THR patient), so I didn't worry too much about it. But I hated it. Then poof it went away almost overnight it seemed. Trust me, yours will too. I hope you're doing okay. Keep positing!
 
  • Informative
Reactions: pag
I take it you did read our article on the subject? 90 degree rule.
I did and thank you for the information. Know the 90 rule and I'm following it. Point for me is that the photos with folks sitting partially up on a recliner (what is too high? what works? . . ) are more confusing than helpful (for me, anyway).
 
Hi, pag. Yes, I had Balloon Leg (foot and ankle, really) for a week or so after the surgery. I did not ice it, but did elevate it. I iced the hip. I kept showing it to the PT who made home visits to get her opinion and she never thought it looked bad (or unusual for a THR patient), so I didn't worry too much about it. But I hated it. Then poof it went away almost overnight it seemed. Trust me, yours will too. I hope you're doing okay. Keep positing!
Very encouraging, thank you!
 
Hi, pag ... of course what I should have said was, yours will go away at its own pace. As you know, everyone's recovery varies. But in my case it really did almost seem as if someone had popped the "balloon" overnight and deflated it. :)
 
pag, After my first surgery my ankles were swollen every evening for months. After my second no swelling ankles. We get different results even if its on the same person. It will settle down in its own time.
 
Stiches out. It's so wonderful to do a full, rather than a sponge bath! Swelling starting to go down. I do my exercises and walk around but still find time to get the leg up. I would advice patience and sticking to exercise regimen for those recently moving over to the "post op" side. Stay strong!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Doing Great
Isn't it just amazing how something as simple as a full bath or shower can be sooooooooooo satisfying?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom