TKR dogslife TKR 11/9

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's much too early for weights. You shouldn't be starting with weights until at least 3 months after surgery. Your knee needs to be well on the way to healing before you start any strength training.
 
PT going well, really sore today with some swelling below my knee, any ideas as to why the swelling is there and not the knee. Hope everyone is having a pain free evening.
 
It is actually more important to listen to your knee than to the PT---and we must remember that the PT works for us, not the other way around.

If what you are doing in PT is causing you these issues, than it may be wise to scale back and give your knee a rest as it is becoming more inflamed.

As Kelly stated, the best course now is ice, elevation, and rest.

Doing too much at this stage of recovery is much, much worse than doing just a little.
 
My husband told me today that he noticed when I walked it looked like I was turning my knee and foot inward. So standing straight it does look like I am turning inward slightly, any one experience this? I see PT on Monday and will ask them also.
 
Eventually pt can do a gait analysis on you. My pt put me on the treadmill (lowest setting in the beginning) to watch my gait. Then he stood behind and told me what to do/not do. I practiced at PT and everyday at home, just being conscience of my gait.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
When I took my first hospital corridor walk PT asked why I kept turning my foot inward! I didn't realize it, but I was apparently trying to toe in and walk on the outside of my sole, a habit/accomodation left over from my pre-sugical arthrits-deformed knee. If that's what you're doing, no worries. You will walk nice and straight in due time.
 
At first you may need to concentrate a little on how you walk until normal becomes normal. :wink:
 
6 weeks recovery, PT measured today 107, assessed my strength with quads/hamstring. Quads good, hamstring were pretty week, I guess that explains the tightness in the back of my knee. Anyone else experience this? PT is going to focus more with hamstrings over the next couple weeks.
 
With me the different sets of muscles have all had their own time schedules. With me I think it was because my leg wasn't straight before surgery and now it is. Some muscles were stretched farther than they were before.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom