TKR dogslife TKR 11/9

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's only 3 weeks since your surgery. That's too early to expect full rotations.
You have to understand what was done to your knee---it endured some very serious surgical trauma---two bones were sawed off, there was a great deal of filing and pounding, and then things were glued and your were finally closed up. You are still in the "Dark Days of Recovery", and recovery can be a very, very slow process. You need to find patience deep within you.

There is nothing that you can do to speed up recovery, but there is plenty that you can do to slow things down.

There's no need to rush.
:iagree:Many folks try to rush things, thinking that it will speed up recovery. Do not try to force things---you will get that rotation when your knee is good and ready. It can be very frustrating, but the knee is in charge, and you just have to strap yourself into the ride that the surgical knee will take you on.
[Bonesmart.org] dogslife TKR 11/9

Patience, Grasshopper, Patience!!!

Now, when it comes time to get those rotations---down the road----try going backwards instead of forwards---put the seat up higher and "cheat"---rock your hips back and forth.

I can tell you that it will take time---as others have said, recovery can take upwards to a year. It took me five months to lose a pesky little limp, and it was six months before I was at 80%-85%, and it was not until I was at eight months that I was 90%----close to 100%.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@doglife How has your recovery been going the last few days? I know the swelling can be frustrating and I wish I knew a way to get rid of it faster. In the mean time rest, ice, and elevate.
 
Swelling is not too bad, I have been spending most of my time rest, icing and elevating. PT says good, just of course not fast enough for me. I appreciate everyones encouragement and advice.
 
@doglife be patient. I am at 6 weeks tomorrow and still do not have full rotation on the bike.
 
I believe that you, as have the others, will reach down deep inside of you and find the patience that you truly do not think that you have.

Anyway, you have no choice in the matter---strap yourself in and go for the recovery ride----the destination--- of being fully recovered---is out there, and you will reach it.

For what it is worth, I kept asking my PT's when I would lose the limp, when I would gain ROM, when I would be fully recovered---and they just smiled and said that I would get there. They were right---but the period of recovery was not up to me---I, too, was going along for the ride, all strapped in---and it took me about eight months to get to 90%-100%. I still gained ROM in tiny increments well beyond that.

My PT's were right---I did get there, and it was very, very worth it---you will get there too.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@doglife Great job. One step closer to more normal range of motion. It must be the weather. I was able to do full rotations on my regular exercise bike at home today. I don't think I would be able to do that on the PT exercise bikes yet.
 
1 month today, whew. Hope everyone had a pain free or at least little pain weekend. I did get out to a Christmas concert, was nice to get out. My knee has been very stiff, swelling very little. Heading to PT soon, hoping for some progression this week. Happy Healing everyone.
 
With my first knee, I was probably closer to 3 months before I got all the way around. I have one of those floor bikes at home and had more success on that earlier. The one at PT was a recumbent bike. I did a lot of rocking back and forth before I finally made it around. My PT was ok with that because I could rock a little bit farther every time. Slow and steady!
 
Sounds like you are doing great with the full rotation! Getting out is a big step to feeling "normal" and a part of life. I hope today is an enjoyable one.
 
PT increase my time on the bike today to 15min and some new exercises. She also had me use the leg press machine as a stretch for flexion and extension, did pretty well. Now rest, ice and elevate.
 
My PT had me try the leg press in that way too. I'm not sure that was such a good idea as it can be stressful on the knee. But just be sure there isn't much weight on it.
BTW--I don't see a day in your signature, just November. The exact day helps us advise you, so could you update your sig for us?
 
Be careful with the leg press. My PT's had me eventually do them, but if you do too much, too soon---especially with the weight machines, you will irritate that knee.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom