TKR DogLady: Reinvented.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello hello!! I've not been online in quite some time. Too busy being out and about on my shiny new knee! Thought I would pop in for an update if any of the folks I know are still around.

My surgery was early July....recovery was complicated by a fall and cracked femur one month later...two more weeks in hospital and a LOT more pain. So now I'm almost 5 months post op. Things are going well. I just returned from a huge overseas work trip. 6 countries in 21 days and many many many airports and airplanes. I did okay for the most part. My sneaky surgeon actually set it up for it to be a good trip. My travel insurance company called him before I left to assure I was okay to fly. He said "Sure....BUT....she has to take two crutches and use then ANND use gate to gate assistance in the airports. One the one hand I felt silly since I can walk, but on the other hand I think it saved a lot of pain and discomfort from standing in lines and walking through airports. So all in all the trip was good....a little bit of stiffness and soreness, but no pain at all. I took tramadol but didnt take any at all....no pain meds at all since mid-Sept.

I'm completely off any crutches...would have been long ago had it not been for my OS. I think I walk with a very normal gait. I'm able to do stairs, but frequently avoid them. To be honest, I think I physically can do them well, but I still lack a bit of confidence. My quads are still weak and I always feel like I will fall going down stairs...I just dont have the control. Climbed a stepladder this week to change lightbulbs. Quite a few people at work have commented about how good I look....easy to look better when you aren't in constant pain! I've also lost about 20 kg since my surgery. So I think I can say I'm pretty well sorted. Aiming for TKR on my other knee next July.

I do read through peoples stories off and on. To all the newbies....as yucky as it is to begin with, it really gets sooooo much better. And then you can walk without pain!
 
DogLady, Thank you for dropping by. Its good to hear sucessful stories like yours. Please keep us posted on how you do with the surgry. It is so good to live without pain. Again Take care and do keep up posted. Tashia
 
Hi Maggie-Lee,

Welcome home!

I'm glad your travels went well.

My "new" knee is strong and reliable now - at almost one year post-op.

I'm planning another overseas trip, for March to July next year. After that, I'll have to see about getting my left knee replaced. The darn thing has been nagging ever since it went through heavy duty as the good knee after my TKR.

Best wishes,
Celle
 
Hi Celle...are you all caught up in Hobbit fever? I'm actually looking forward to getting the other done. Getting it done and over with. Then I have no more knees to replace adn can get on with life.
 
Well, I'm watching all the Hobbit celebrations on TV, but nothing has reached New Plymouth yet!

I'm looking forward to seeing the movie, though!

Yes, I will also be glad when the second knee is done - but I can't fit it in yet. Since I was told I have a small area of bone-on-bone there, it has been hurting a bit more. It's almost as if it heard what my OS said!
 
Hi Maggie Lee, great to read your trip went well and knee behaved. Have you got your lovely dogs home with you now?
 
Maggie-Lee, nice to hear from you again! I'm so glad your trip went well! :goodpost: Is your house all set now and the contractors out of your way? Charlie and Jess must have missed you terribly! :puppysmooze: :puppysmooze: I'm glad to know you're home safe and sound! :friends:
 
Maggie-Lee, good to see you again -- and glad that you and your new knee are doing well. I'm almost 8 months post-op (as of the 10th of December), and Magrat (my new right knee) is doing well. I haven't reached the point that I can use the stairs without thinking about it, but using the stairs is no longer a problem. When I was a delegate at the ECW (Episcopal Church Women) Triennial Convention in Indianapolis the first of July, I made sure to carry my cane with me EVERYWHERE. I could have walked without it, but it was a good reminder for me and to everyone else that I was walking slower than they were -- and for them to be careful not to "jostle" me. The halls in the convention center were HUGE and the foot traffic felt like and looked like a pedestrian version of traffic on the interstate around Atlanta (Georgia). :bicycle2: I usually stayed close to the walls to avoid the much faster traffic. Except when in the large "fast-traffic" hall, everyone was friendly and considerate. During all of the meetings, I sat with my leg up on a chair -- which helped tremendously -- that and a cup of coffee. :mcoffee::dancy:

My hubby and I are big fans of Tolkien's books and the movies. So we're looking forward to the movie of "The Hobbit". I've set a few of the texts of Tolkien's songs in the hobbit books to music -- voice and guitar. The lyrics of the songs are the first things that "caught my attention" when reading "The Hobbit" back in the early 1980's. Maybe one of these years my hubby and I can visit New Zealand. Meanwhile we're enjoying living in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Western North Carolina.

Have a beautiful day.:flwrysmile:
 
Hi Maggie-Lee, thanks posting how you are doing, its sounds like you have improved a great deal since the beginning, you had a lot going on. I hope your house is all set up for you and your precious babies.Good to hear that you are doing well:thumb: As for my poor knees, that looks like its gonna be in the very distant future. ( please see new thread of mine titled: Gonna be long wait for me, & others saga's as well, help??)
Take care and continue doing well....Sheryl
 
Hi DL! What a big trip! It sounds like you did very well, and your surgeon was very smart to make you take it easy. I'm glad to hear your recovery is going well and you are just too busy living life to spend much time here. Isn't that the goal? I'm doing very well myself, as I approach the six month mark. I'm starting to enjoy activities that were either painful or avoided last year at this time. It's very exciting to feel almost normal again!
 
[Bonesmart.org] DogLady:  Reinvented.
Maggie Lee's got her groove back! So happy for you that life is good and your new knee is good and that you're willing to do it all over again! Take care.
[Bonesmart.org] DogLady:  Reinvented.
 
Hi everyone!! Nice to see you all still around. :ok: How is everybody?
Yup....pups are back home and doing well. Seem no worse the wear for their lengthy kenneling during repairs. There is just nothing better than having a coupla dogs in the house. I missed them terribly and they are both much more 'snuggly' so I think they missed me as well. I signed off on my earthquake repairs just last week!! It has taken forever to get everything finished and done well. But now I have reclaimed my home and can start unpacking boxes and putting pictures back on walls after nearly six months of disruption. Hallalujah!! And our aftershocks have pretty much stopped...after almost 18 months of daily wobbles. And most of the central city has been demolished. So its all about rebuild now! Pretty exciting to see progress after all this time.

I see my surgeon on Friday for my final knee check before I'm officially discharged. I"ll talk to him then about scheduling number two.

Thanks to everyone for popping in and saying hello! Hope you are all doing great.
 
Great to hear back from you with such a great report. Traveling all over sounds like a lot of fun. I haven't yet, but am getting the wandering spirit and may have to soon.

Then to add rebuilding from earthquakes to having a second TKR, that is admirable.

And your dog is cute and looks very content; like he is going nowhere anytime soon.
 
Hello hello Bonesmarties. Quick check in with a progress report...hopefully it can be encouragement for those in the early days. I saw my surgeon last month. At this point I have a surgical date for LTKR in July BUT might not need it. Because of my travel schedule we booked a date that I can work around. But he thinks that things look pretty good. I was having quite a bit of pain in that knee but that has now eased off it seems.

The really really good news is that last week I went to Singapore for work. I had one day off so went for a walk around Singapore. This is not something I would have attempted for many years. I walked for SIX STRAIGHT HOURS.....kept waiting for the pain, and you know what, it didnt come! Couldnt believe it. I have not walked anywhere for more than about 15 min tops in at least 5 or so years! Really pleased with this. It is helped by the fact that I've managed to lose about 16 kg since my surgery in July. So less of me to carry around.

So all in well in the far far south. We had a small doozie of an aftershock last night....first one in quite a while. So mother earth still rules in middle earth.

I'm off to the UK/Italy tomorrow for another work trip. Looking forward to a bit of exploring on foot! :egypdance:
 
Hi Maggie-Lee,
Wow! That's great news about your knee and how well it is behaving! How lovely that you could enjoy that day in Singapore without the knee pain.

I hope your left knee stays quiet, too. My left knee is niggling, but I have told it to wait until next year - I don't have time in my schedule to get it a TKR until then.

I'll be off overseas again in late March, this time for about 4 months. I think this will be our last big trip, as the money is not everlasting and we need to cut back after that.

Taranaki has been having a swarm of earthquakes lately, but only little ones.

Best wishes,

Caryl (Celle)
 
Wow Maggie-Lee you are doing great! 16 kg = to 35.273 lbs in the U.S., that's fantastic! Congratulation!:yay: Sounds like you're doing great with the knees, and that is fabulous news about not needing the left knee done and I hope it continues to play nice with you!:yes!: I'll bet Signapore was extra nice, being able to walk 6 hours and all! Oh what fun it is without pain!

How are Charlie and Jess doing!
 
CharliePete and Jess are fantastic. My lovely pups. They have a dog walker that comes in at lunch every day while I am at work. I arranged this quite a few years ago when I had problems with my foot, but in recent years I have not been able to walk them because of arthritis. I'm hoping to start that soon, but am waiting just a bit longer....Charlie Pete is a big, powerful boy and I dont have enough confidence that he can't pull me over yet!! He walks well on lead without pulling, but if something gets his attention, all bets are off :puppysmooze:

Celle...this is quite a wobbly little country we have!
 
Hi everyone. I've not been online in quite some time.....long enough that my last post expired and I had to get help from Jo to reactivate it! Thanks Jo. I've got a decision coming to make and just want to talk this through with those in the know.
When I had my surgery last July the plan was to do my other knee this coming July. I saw my surgeon earlier this year; a radiograph of that knee didnt look too bad and we were both questioning if I would need it replaced this year. However he wanted to get a different type of xray. Because of my work/travel schedule, we went ahead and tentatively scheduled my surgery for June 12th. I am supposed to get the other xray this coming week and see him on Friday to decide if we move ahead or not. I'm really torn on whether I should go ahead. I have lost about 30 kg since my surgery last year so I'm stressing that knee much less. It really doesnt bother me much, unless I am climbing stairs or an incline. So part of me thinks I should just leave it...wait until its more uncomfortable....no point in fixing something that isnt badly broken. BUT, on the other hand, I know it is never going to get better, only worse. And I can't believe I waited so long to get the first one fixed. My quality of life improved enormously after that one. I live in teh most beautiful country for getting out and about, but have not been able to get out and enjoy it because of my knees. I have a tramping trip scheduled in the Marlborough Sounds the week before my surgery is scheduled. Wish I could make the decision AFTER that trip but that is cutting it very close to organise my work and life. Just not sure what to do! Any comments...... :shrug:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom