TKR DogLady: Reinvented.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been sitting up for 4-5 hrs, then laying down and icing for about 1-2, then up again until bed It's been pretty okay but last night really was very painful. Today i'm mostly laying down but it's uncomfortable (not painful) to do so. Can't seem to find a comfortable position. Grumpy. I dont mind a bit fof pain but last night really sucked!!
 
Yeah, it sounds like you're entitled to a grumpy day.
 
[Bonesmart.org] DogLady:  Reinvented.
Maggie Lee, I fear it's all part of that "wonderful world of recovery" stuff.
[Bonesmart.org] DogLady:  Reinvented.
Some of it is not fun---but it does get better. Slowly, slowly but surely.
[Bonesmart.org] DogLady:  Reinvented.


Keep following that BoneSmart mantra and you'll get there. Take care, keep us posted, we care.
[Bonesmart.org] DogLady:  Reinvented.
 
it is slow and is frustrating. This morning, I read through some pamphlets they gave me at the hospital. By that account I should be off crutches by about now and driving. I really expected to be a bit further along at this point adn not with so much pain. Its all confounded by not being able to get in my house due to earthquake repairs, so I've been staying with friends since I left hospital. I'm just kind of sick of this.
 
[Bonesmart.org] DogLady:  Reinvented.
Just chuck those pamphlets out the door---you're only 1 month post op. The people who write those things up don't have a clue. And you have to remember that everyone's recovery is unique to them---some are faster, some are slower, and some are in between.


And I can fully understand that not being able to go home and not having your puppies with you and being in someone else's house no matter how nice they are is frustrating and exasperating and sometimes just awful! [Bonesmart.org] DogLady:  Reinvented. And of course---you're sick and tired of being sick and tired. But this too shall pass.

I am sending you a BIG HUG---'cause I know you could use one about now. Please take care, I care.

[Bonesmart.org] DogLady:  Reinvented.
 
it is slow and is frustrating. This morning, I read through some pamphlets they gave me at the hospital. By that account I should be off crutches by about now and driving. I really expected to be a bit further along at this point adn not with so much pain. Its all confounded by not being able to get in my house due to earthquake repairs, so I've been staying with friends since I left hospital. I'm just kind of sick of this.


Remember, it is your knee's schedule, and not the pamphlet's. Please: PLEASE---do not compare or contrast yourself and your progress (or apparent lack of) to anybody else or s pamphlet. just as everybody is a unique individual, so is their recovery.

You are moving forward and you are certainly going in the right direction; just do not worry about how long that it will take to drive, to do this or to do that---you will do all of those things, but in your own unique time.

I was also very frustrated at how long my own recovery was taking. My PT's, though, when queried about the length of time that I was taking to recover, would say, "You are doing fine and you will get there. How long it takes is not up to us, so we cannot say. How long it takes is up to your knees. They will let you know."
 
it is slow and is frustrating. This morning, I read through some pamphlets they gave me at the hospital. By that account I should be off crutches by about now and driving. I really expected to be a bit further along at this point adn not with so much pain. Its all confounded by not being able to get in my house due to earthquake repairs, so I've been staying with friends since I left hospital. I'm just kind of sick of this.

I hope you get to your own place soon, at least then you'll feel more like you're in control! You know your knee is in control, but you feel like all of us, you want your own space! The pamphlet said you should be driving??? :scratch: Now wait a minute how can that be I didn't get the okay to start driving until week 7 from my OS and you just had your right knee surgery on 7/03/2012, so that means you're still young in the game of recovery as am I! Please don't be so hard on yourself. You will recover and get your life back it just takes time and patience! If you are in so much pain then make sure you stay on top of your pain meds and rest (a lot) elevate and ice (a lot)! Don't forget the pain you had before your new knee replacement and that will help you deal with your recovery period now. Don't feel like you have to be cheery because you are staying at a friends house they'll understand that you've been through major surgery and you need a lot of rest!
You're a BoneSmart family member now and we care, so don't compare yourself to anyone else! You are you and nobody else will experience what you experience and you will not experience what someone else experiences! Take a deep breath, close your eyes and feel the calmness with each breath in and out and recovery will come and life will be good again!
Stay well my BoneSmartie friend! :friends:
 
Thanks Jacky, Tim and Judy....I think I needed a "there, there..." pat on the back. I am really weary of being not in my own space adn in my own life. I'm about to be picked up by a friend to go get dog food into the freezer in anticipation of the pups coming home (and me coming home too!). Then out for an early dinner....hopefully that will boost my spirits if I can get through dinner without pain. I'll check in again in the morning. Your support is really appreciated. Once I stop whining, I'll try to pay it forward and support someone else.
 
Dog Lady,
You are only 1 month OP and you need to expect the on and off pain still. We all need to keep in mind that this recovery takes up to one year or more to heal. No need to panic just keep to the mantra and you should do fine. I am 14 months out now and still get the occasional pain and stiffness.
 
Dog Lady, I also had an episode of intense pain at one month. I went to the ER in the am--I was tossing and turning all night. Diagnosis? Doing too much. At one month, you should be lying down about 50% of the time. So, two hours up, one hour down with ice. You are just sitting too much moving too much,e tc.

It is really too early to return to work too. I think you are bored with being at someone else's house and looking for a way out. It will be much easier to be more restful in your own home. It is too early too to pull back on the meds so much. Try taking them every six hours during the day and then in the evening. You will be able to leave them behind in a week or two, but it sounds like you need them now. Stiffness and swelling are signs of pain.

You are doing well, just try to cut back a little on the activity. Kelly
 
Welcome to this side. Isn't it great to be on this side. I do know there are monents of pain but the other side there was always pain. This side is the recovery side. I love the picture of your dog. I know a walk to the park is wha it wants. I can't remember what the name of your dog or the sex. I just quickly read your posts. Remember to Rest, Ice, Elevate and Pain control. Do keep us informed on how you are doing. take care. :puppysmooze:Tashia:bicycle1:
 
Thanks everyone. I had a very nice dinner wtih friends out last night, then came home and slept reasonably well. After about 6 hours in bed I get stiff in that position so need to stand up and walk or sit a bit, then I can go back to sleep. I'm reasonably comfortable today. I heard from the builder....looks like I may get to move home on Sunday...finally. I want a good few days at home alone before I bring the pups home. I need to be confident in my ability to manage them. My sweet Jess is no problem, but that eye patched beast in the pic, Charlie-Pete can be a handful. Really appreciate all the support from everyone.
 
That's great news Maggie! You being home will give you great renewed confidence in yourself. I'll bet your "eye patch beast, Charlie-Pete" will be your biggest advocate! He might be a handful, but I'll bet he will be the one protecting you when anyone comes near.:puppysmooze: They have a wonderful way of sensing when things are different.
 
Jacky...its a funny thing. My Jess is sweet and lovely and has never given me a second of grief. Charlie, on the other hand, can be a real monster and has caused me huge anxiety and stress, but that boy totally makes my heart beat. He is definitely 'my boy'. I've had to work hard for him and I think he knows that.
 
Well hello DogLady, good to hear from you! :)

I read through your posts, please let me address them using my history. It may or may not apply in your case; if the pain is bad or something feels not right you should visit your OS!

* Driving.
I did start driving at 3 weeks post op from a right TKR, my driving foot. However we are all different.

*Crutches
After a taste of freedom of one crutch, my surgeon didn’t like the current Xray and put me back on two crutches for 3 weeks. Talk about disappointment. :sad: Now, at two months post op, I am back to one crutch, agaaaaaiiiin, and weaning off them. So to answer, you’re on the crutches for as long as you need them and/or surgeon says to be. But you can practice not limping while on crutches! People who see me are very impressed with my walk now which is mostly limp free unless I get tired.

* Horrible pain around surgical site.
Yes, and I still have a bit of it two months post op, especially in one area where I'm sure they matched bone to implant. After having cautioned me to take it easy for several weeks, and I did, Xrays were repeated and my surgeon decided the surgical site looked ok.

That meant my physical therapist was allowed to start working the area. She started massaging the area slowly and lightly, breaking up scar tissue and it has helped greatly, the difference is noticeable.

Also, there is an awakening of the nerves in the area that can be the source of pain. It is like jolts of electricity, I really don't like it but it does apparently mean the nerves are healing so that is good.

* Cannot get comfortable
Yes. It gets to the point where I’ll just have to almost jump up because I can’t take a particular position for one minute longer. I hear that improves, sigh……. :sigh:
I can, now, though, sit for a period of time in a chair comfortably without the back of my knees bothering me, impinging on the area.

Hopefully, my experiences will help you to decide where you fit in the healing process. Again, though, if something seems not right, do contact you surgeon’s office. I have done so on even some very small questions and each time they have been very nice about responding, and in a timely manner. Much better than worrying about it.
 
Thats for sharing your thoughts Elisea. I would love to be driving again but my sense is that it will be a few weeks yet. Just seems like I started fast out of the gate but am lagging now. Hopefully it will pick up again soon. I'm likely not exercising as much as I "should"...whatever that is. I'm slowly and carefully just ranging my leg. My sense is that is all I should do now (despite what I am told), but maybe I'm just being soft. It feels like when I range my knee there is a little 'pop' at one point just before I get to full extension. I'm aware of it when I walk. It doesnt really hurt but is creepy feeling. I'm just going to keep keeping an eyes on it and doing what I can.
 
Sooo glad you get to move home soon!:yay: Before you know it you'll have your lovely four-legged ones there with you and feel more at ease which I believe will help you in your recovery. There's nothing like being in your own home is there? Best wishes for a smooth return home on Sunday! :yes:
 
Hi everyone. Me again! I'm finally Home! After 5 weeks of being displaced. The builders still have not finished everything so it's all a mess and a bit like grand central station with plumbers and sparkies and painters, but at least was in my own bed last night. Im' a bit achy....I've not been able to spend much time lying down because of all the moving back in. I need them to all finish up and leave so I can get into a routine. Pups are still not home....need to wait till we dont have workmen in the house. But getting closer..... Thanks for all your good thoughts and support the last week or so. Been a tough one.
 
Hi, Maggie.....how about updating your signature to reflect the current status of your TKR....:)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom