Guest viewing is limited

THR Dogchick's Hippy Recovery Adventure

Here's a little bit of an update. I went to PT today. Before I left, I grabbed my cane and tried it out. I found I am a little wobbly still, but I felt a little more comfortable using it in the house. So...I thought maybe I'll just use it in the house when I'm trying to get around. Went to PT and told her about it. She changed up what she was planning to do with me, and had me practice walking with the cane several times. She did mention that if I find I'm getting tired or if I'm in more pain, that I can certainly go back to using the crutch to be safe. So, there's some more progress. Walking with the cane in the house! Anywhere else, I'll be using my crutch. I don't know if I mentioned that I have been sleeping on my non-op side for the whole week....all night....it's been so nice! Obviously, I have a pillow between my legs, but I always did before the operation anyway.

Last night, I was in bed and was still awake and remembered something that happened, I think in the hospital...and I wanted to post it here, but now I can't remember what it was..hmmm...maybe I'll think of it later. I feel like it was something kind of funny. Dory is struggling, apparently she hasn't reached home yet.
 
I've been working on hubby getting a couple of grab bars for me, and I agree with your hubby. I feel like they would have been helpful even before my surgery. Especially when getting out of the shower. We do have a lower bar that was there when we bought the house, so it came with the shower/tub enclosure. I did use that a bit when I was turning around or had to bend down to pick something up.

We used the suction cup ones last time; I don’t trust them. Since I have two knee replacements coming, we used the screw in ones. We have a tiny half bath: 3’x5’! Steve took the sink out so I can get a walker in there, put in one of the higher toilets & installed two grab bars on the wall. Container of wipes since the sink is gone. I’m ready!
 
Are you guys anywhere near where all the flooding is happening? I hope not. I have a couple of friends in that area, and it's terrible!
@dogchick , not having any problems with flooding yet. Had to let water out of pool. Bear loves the mud.
 
As I sit here listening to my "inspirational, go get'em, you can do this" playlist I just had to come here and post. Today is the first REAL day that I feel cooped up in the house. I am feeling SO antsy! I didn't sleep well last night, and had a bit of a sore throat last night and this morning along with a headache, so I didn't go to Sunday services as planned. But I can listen in through the phone, so I did that. But then I started to get really antsy. I got up, using my cane, and did my dishes, completely cleaned and scrubbed 2 of my kitchen counters. I took care of all the "things" that were on the counter that do not need to be there and I organized all my scrubbies/scrapers/sponges/ etc. We used to have them in a container, but when we redid all our cabinets, I put the container away, hoping to get a smaller one, but that never happened and I'm sick of the mess of all those scrubbies/scrapers/etc all over the back of the sink, so I found the container and got it all organized. Cleaned off the stove/oven. I was listening to my playlist. It dawned on me that *GASP!* I had been walking all over the kitchen (albeit small area) without my cane! :egypdance: And....not only was I doing that, but I found I was actually DANCING to the music! :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo: WHAT???? :curtsey: Thank you very much! I love to dance! Well, you know, I'm not a good dancer at all, but I like to move to the music for sure. Even lip sync, or sing out at the top of my lungs and pretend I'm really actually singing just like the artist. :giggle: Of course, I don't think Chocolate Monster agrees, she runs in the other room and hides out on the recliner. :rotfl: How RUDE! :hissy: What I thought was going to be a pretty down day, has turned into a good day so far. I feel so good, I'm trying not to overdo it, but it sure feels good. I don't think I could walk around the house all day without the cane, but it was nice while it lasted. We shall see how I feel tomorrow morning. :heehee:
 
Fortunately we are dry heat. Typically never too hot and rarely at freezing point (lowest last winter 40F).. Perfect! A lot of Canadians and Americans moving here now.
I would TOTALLY move there!
 
I had PT this morning. I don't know what muscle it is, but the one on the outside of your leg...mine barely works. Probably from years of not being able to move my leg sideways, it is super weak. That is the muscle we worked on today....OMG! Not that it was super painful or anything, but it's the HARDEST work I've ever done! I will be icing today a few times, because it got quite a workout today and I do NOT want to go backward and take a Percocet if I don't have to. I'm a bit on the sore side, but I did PT, then came home and brought some treats out to the chickens, just using the cane, no crutch. There is a muscle or something in my lower back that seems to be yelling at me, :hissy: it is teaming up with that side of the leg muscle that hasn't had to work for years...lazy bum! Apparently, she is not a team player! :heehee: She's going to have to step up to the plate or I'll give her what for! :tantrum:

I've also been getting cramps in the arch of my foot, like, the kind you have to jump up and stand on the foot in order to make it go away kind of cramp. It's not on the OP leg, it's the other leg. Told PT today about it and asked what's going on. She told me to add more potassium (bananas) and magnesium (almonds) to my diet because my body is using those nutrients up with the process of healing. I realized that since surgery, I have been eating a banana a day, up until about 4 or 5 days ago, when I stopped eating them. I haven't been eating my almonds either, and that's basically when the cramps started. So...word to the wise...don't skimp on those nutrients! She mentioned other nutrients too, but I can't remember which ones, but mostly she was stressing potassium and magnesium.

Anyway, in an effort to stay off the Percocet, I'm wondering if anybody here has used essential oils for pain control? I have plenty of them, but I'm not sure if they will work for this? Maybe? And if they do, where do you apply it? Directly on the muscle that is complaining? Any help here would be appreciated. Feel free to private message me if you are uncomfortable posting it here on the forum. Thank you! I hope y'all are having a great Monday. :flwrysmile:
 
Last edited:
Wow! Sounds like you're moving & dancing, way to go.
I don't know which essential oil is good for pain, but when I have had body massage the therapist added it to the lotion and used it on arms legs, back, neck, hands ,& feet. Peppermint may be good. Let me know what works. Thanks!
 
I used doTERRA deep blue both the oil and the cream. Keep walking and you will find as you heal, you won't need as much pain relief.
 
Some info for the cramps -
Below is an article on Magnesium from our Library if you're interested in supplementing aside from the Almonds and Bananas.

Magnesium Glycinate supports the following:
Bone health
Healthy blood sugar
Cardiovascular health
Muscle relaxation and nerves
Promotes healthy sleep (falling asleep and staying asleep)

The article on Magnesium -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/magnesium-is-a-star.20301/

I've also heard of drinking 4-6 oz of Q-Tonic before bed which is a water that contains quinine.
Read the label as some of the waters do not contain quinine, but quinine flavoring instead.

Something to consider. Hope this helps!
@dogchick
 
Some info for the cramps -
Below is an article on Magnesium from our Library if you're interested in supplementing aside from the Almonds and Bananas.

Magnesium Glycinate supports the following:
Bone health
Healthy blood sugar
Cardiovascular health
Muscle relaxation and nerves
Promotes healthy sleep (falling asleep and staying asleep)

The article on Magnesium -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/magnesium-is-a-star.20301/

I've also heard of drinking 4-6 oz of Q-Tonic before bed which is a water that contains quinine.
Read the label as some of the waters do not contain quinine, but quinine flavoring instead.

Something to consider. Hope this helps!
@dogchick
Thank you @Layla There are so many different forms of Magnesium, that I never know which one to get. Sounds like the Glycinate is probably the one I want to take.

Years ago, when I was having MAJOR calf cramps...so bad that I ended up having to use crutches to walk after I would have an attack, I was desperate and tried Tonic water. It did the trick for sure, but it sure tastes nasty. LOL! I actually still have some on hand, as I didn't want to keep going through those terrible cramps, so I keep a small bottle on hand at all times. I was trying to avoid using it, because it tastes so nasty. LOL!

I'm finding this morning that my groin area is feeling more painful. :unsure: I took my Tylenol late this morning, so that could be part of it, but it was starting to feel painful yesterday to be honest. PT told me that when I was trying to move my leg, instead of using that outside muscle, I kept using the top and inside muscles. I can't tell if I'm using the outside muscle, I can't figure out how to isolate it because I've been compensating for so very long that I am having trouble figuring that out. I only have 2 visits left, and I don't know if I am going to figure that out by then. :boohoo: It's pretty frustrating, because I only have a little less than 3 weeks before I have to go back to work. I know a lot can change in that time, but I feel like learning to move correctly is going to take a lot of time since I've been doing it this way for so long...:sigh: Why did I wait so long before moving on to getting a hip replacement? :oyvey:

Ok, enough "woe-is-me" talk. Here's what's going right. Yesterday, as soon as I got up, I stripped my bed, threw everything downstairs in the basement (where my laundry facilities are). Then, I carefully walked down the stairs and managed to get them in my washer. Then I went down again and put them in the dryer. Pup Prince #2 brought the load of towels up and then brought the sheets up for me. I also put my bed back together all by myself, folded all the towels/clothes and put them away, or put them in the boys rooms. I did dishes twice, I made my meals. Breakfast was Yogurt and Earl Grey Tea, Lunch was oatmeal with chopped apples, pecans, and chia seeds. I brought some treats all the way out to the chickens just using my cane, and worked really hard at PT. It was a busy day, and more activity then I'm used to, but it was good to know that I CAN do it. Yes, I'm hurting a bit today, I'm a big baby when it comes to pain, I don't tolerate it well. Remember, I'm a Princess and pain doesn't fit into my perfect little world. :snork: I'm probably going to have to do more icing today than I have had to do in a long time. My lower back is still sore/painful...well, I don't know that painful is quite the word for it, but it's getting lots of twinges, and it feels sore.

OH! Did I tell you? The PT I had yesterday, she is not the one I usually have, but she asked if I was doing the bridging exercise, I said, "Not on purpose!" LOL! She burst out laughing:loll:. But because of my reading on this forum, I knew that bridging was tough on the hip, so rather than say I'm not going to do that, I just said that. LOL! I think I threw her off guard and she never said another thing about it. :snork: Anyway, I don't have any goals today, other than to reduce my uncomfortableness. It's hard to not have something to work for, especially since I'm also not getting paid for it. :heehee:
 
@dogchick a day of rest is always a good thing. Yesterday after PT my lower back bothered me also. PT said ice it and take a motrin.... back is good this morning. Well maybe a little twinge when I was wiping counter and stove off. Would love to vacuum but will wait. Don't want to be critical but hubby doesn't do against the base boards and Bear hair is accumulating. Brown carpet...long yellow dog hair.
 
Hello again,
The only thing I would add about the Glycinate form is that it's touted as being more gentle on the stomach and more easily absorbed than some of the other forms. May not cause the side effects of upset stomach and loose stools. You can find many articles comparing the different types. Glycinate, Citrate, Lactate, Carbonate, on and on they go!

Hope you have a good day!
@dogchick
 
@dogchick Would love to vacuum but will wait. Don't want to be critical but hubby doesn't do against the base boards and Bear hair is accumulating. Brown carpet...long yellow dog hair.

I totally understand! Dogdude's eye sight isn't very good, so he misses things that I see, like the edges and baseboards. I have the opposite problem; light tan carpet and brown chocolate monster hair. :)
 
Hello again,
The only thing I would add about the Glycinate form is that it's touted as being more gentle on the stomach and more easily absorbed than some of the other forms. May not cause the side effects of upset stomach and loose stools. You can find many articles comparing the different types. Glycinate, Citrate, Lactate, Carbonate, on and on they go!

Hope you have a good day!
@dogchick
Even better good news! One of my meds that I have to take every day tends to bind things up a bit, so, even if it made things a little "smoother", it wouldn't be a bad thing. :heehee:
 
(I do have a walk-in said:
Hi there! I could not take showering in my hubby's shower after the 2nd week. I wanted to be in my bathroom shower with all of my lotions and potions :snork: So I ordered a half step from Amazon (it's in my forum). I was so excited that it worked! I step onto it, step in with my unoperated leg. Once I'm half in, I balance with palms flat on the wall, as I pull my operated leg in straight and even. Getting out is a breeze with the step. I used to have my walker there in case I needed it. Now, I have the balance to do it freestyle :egypdance:Maybe this might help you?
 
Hi, dogchick (pasting this here from my PM, because it could benefit others). You were wondering what essential oils might be used to ease your discomfort. I'll share some suggestions for you to consider. I'll caveat that I only use Young Living Essential Oils, so I can recommend for internal use. If you are using any other brand, please do not use for internal use unless they specifically say it's okay.

After my prescribed medications were completed, I chose to take a capsule of Copaiba Vitality, Frankincense Vitality, and Idaho Blue Spruce (on the Generally Regarded as Safe (GRAS) list). I put five drops of each oil in the capsule and took one 2-3 times a day. In a couple of weeks, I dropped back to twice a day. This could be applied topically as well. Copaiba, Frankincense, and Idaho Blue Spruce can also be used topically, but unless you have a completely healed incision, I'd be cautious -- you're probably okay, but I share that for other readers.

For the cramping, I have found tonic water with quinine helps. I drank about 8 ounces before bed. I've also obtained some comfort by applying Aroma Siez with a roll-on. Aroma Siez contains Basil, Marjoram, Lavender, Peppermint, and Cypress.

For soothing achey areas, I recommend PanAway, Deep Relief, and Cool Azul Pain Relief Cream.

Those are the oils that helped me after my second TKR and sometimes still for various things.
 
After my prescribed medications were completed, I chose to take a capsule of Copaiba Vitality, Frankincense Vitality, and Idaho Blue Spruce (on the Generally Regarded as Safe (GRAS) list). I put five drops of each oil in the capsule and took one 2-3 times a day. In a couple of weeks, I dropped back to twice a day.

This combination is what I took in the year leading up to surgery instead of Celebrex. It eased the pain in hip (bone on bone can't be completely pain free) but really helped with all the other minor arthritis in various joints. I didn't us Young Essentials brand but did buy a brand that was for consumption.

I admit that today I started taking again, after reading your inquiry the other day, hoping it will help like it did pre op.

My daughter takes magnesium as it is reported to help with sleep.

Good luck, hope you find relief!
 
Hi Y'all,
I went to PT yesterday and it was time for the assessment. She said my score before surgery was 24. After my surgery was 20, and yesterday, I'm up to 38! I was excited to see the progress. Then she sort of dropped the bomb....the scores are out of a possible 80. :heehee: Well, seems I have a long way to go. Still, I am celebrating the improvement. Tomorrow was supposed to be my last visit, but because of how much my muscle had atrophied, she thought I should book some more appointments. I only have 9 more visits allowed by my insurance, so that's what I booked. Two times a week.

After PT, I brought Chocolate Monster over to a friends house for a play date. She had a blast. I used my cane and walked around her house to the back yard. We sat out there for a while to let the dogs play, then I walked up a couple flights of stairs to get into the house from the back. Then more stairs to go out the front door and get to my car. I was proud of myself for being able to do that. I drove home and had Pup prince #1 come out of the house to get Chocolate Monster out of the car, then drove over to my student's house (my friend who I just visited was meeting me there, since she used to be my students teacher a couple of years ago.) Anyway, I drove over there and walked up more stairs to get into her trailer. She lives on a farm, so she walked us all around the farm, we got to visit with the horses. I've missed being around horses, so it was nice to be there and be able to pet and love on them. Looking forward to the time when I'll be able to go on a ride again. :) My former co-worker has never been around horses, so she was slightly nervous, but I couldn't help myself, I had to scratch their noses, kiss their faces and can I just say how much I LOVE their sweet soft muzzles! I thoroughly enjoyed them. We did a lot of walking and standing, so by the time I got home, I was on the sore side. I just iced for a bit. It was good for me to do all that walking with just the cane. I was proud of myself.

I have been using a blend of essential oils for pain at night when I go to bed. I use it topically. That seems to be helping with some of the soreness and even some of the inflammation. I used to use this blend before surgery when I was very painful, but I feel like it's working even better now. I'm very happy with it, since it means I don't have to resort to Percocet when I've had a busy or hard day. I did use it after that hard PT day as well. I know they don't work for all people, but I have good success with them. I also use a "De-Stress" blend sometimes at night when I'm having trouble falling asleep, and it's not long before I'm sleepy enough to fall asleep. That helps with the healing process too.

Today, I spent an hour standing to make caramelized onions and some chicken for dinner. Phew! That was a long time! I was feeling quite sore after that, so I grabbed an ice pack and iced while I ate and I elevated too. I was still pretty sore, so it was Tylenol and my Pain blend of oils when I went back to the bedroom. I'm already feeling better. :yes!: So there's my update. Although I'm wishing I could walk better, I know it took years to get this way, it's going to take time to get back to normal, and I am trying to stay on the positive side and celebrate all the successes, big or little. :yes:
 
Back
Top Bottom