Guest viewing is limited

THR Dogchick's Hippy Recovery Adventure

At your post op appt today, you might ask them about using one crutch vs two and see what they say. I used a walker which worked well as it placed all the pressure evenly on my body. Once I could walk with a good gait and no limp, I went to a cane. It would seem to me that a single crutch might put too much pressure on some part of your body and make it difficult to have a smooth gait. I always worried my limping would put another joint out of line and add a new pain :heehee: If you don’t read this until after your appt, give them a call and tell them you have one more question you need answered. I think it would be worth hearing what they have to say.

Love your chicken house! You probably have time to order some new “girls”through the mail and they’d have time to grow enough to make it through the winter and be laying by spring!!!
 
Sounds like you have a busy day! My post op is Wednesday. I’d be thrilled if she told me I could lose the Teds stockings but I know that won’t be happening! It’s a nice thought though. Post back after your appointments!
 
@dogchick I grew up with a Mom who took us to musicals and light operettas so it's in my genes. I will have to wait until it's on Amazon Prime or Netflix. Wishing you all the best at your OS appt today and you get more pain relief every day. As you heal you will notice you can bear more weight and whether you choose crutches or a cane it will get easier. I know for me it's hard not to compare my progress to others and each one of us will get there when it's time.
 
Taking a little pain relief before been hurt isn't a bad idea. It would be recommended, especailly if you do have staples. Why cause yourself more discomfort than needed.
I'm only early stages but think going from 2 to 1 crutch will feel sore in the joint as now it is truly getting all your weight where as before you could limit the weight on the joint. I'd say not to worry as you've strengthened the muscles and now it is just a cause of a slightly different weight bearing movement.

Thank you! I'm about to post an update on how everything went, I appreciate the your support regarding the 1 crutch/2 crutch issue. I'll be posting about it in a few.
 
@dogchick I grew up with a Mom who took us to musicals and light operettas so it's in my genes. I will have to wait until it's on Amazon Prime or Netflix. Wishing you all the best at your OS appt today and you get more pain relief every day. As you heal you will notice you can bear more weight and whether you choose crutches or a cane it will get easier. I know for me it's hard not to compare my progress to others and each one of us will get there when it's time.

I grew up watching all kinds of musicals, and loving Broadway musicals, so I understand. LOL! I think I'm the only one in my whole family that enjoys some opera music though. :snork:
 
At your post op appt today, you might ask them about using one crutch vs two and see what they say. I used a walker which worked well as it placed all the pressure evenly on my body. Once I could walk with a good gait and no limp, I went to a cane. It would seem to me that a single crutch might put too much pressure on some part of your body and make it difficult to have a smooth gait. I always worried my limping would put another joint out of line and add a new pain :heehee: If you don’t read this until after your appt, give them a call and tell them you have one more question you need answered. I think it would be worth hearing what they have to say.
I actually talked to my doctors office about this as well as to my home PT person. I am going to update about that in a minute.

Love your chicken house! You probably have time to order some new “girls”through the mail and they’d have time to grow enough to make it through the winter and be laying by spring!!!
I would love to add a few chicks (We are only allowed to have 6 chickens where we live), but I think we are going to wait until I'm better able to care for them myself. We would have to keep them in the basement until they are big enough to go out with the big girls, and right now, I can't go down that many stairs. This whole chicken thing is more MY project, something I've wanted to do for a long time. Although, since Dogdude has been setting everything up, I can't help but see that he's growing kind of fond of them. :heehee: I heard him talking to them this afternoon, saying, "It's ok girls, I'm just fixing this side up now, so you can go to the other side, go on, it's ok. Good girls!" :rotfl:
 
I hope they behave! My next door neighbor had chickens for a while, and every now and then they'd go walkabout and end up in our yard - which we didn't care, since it was a free chicken sighting - they're kind cute, aren't they? Only thing is, they can be mean as snot to each other back at the roost, especially the smaller birds. "Pecking order" and all that.

Isle of Dogs is worth it - but I'm really into animation so take my opinion with a salt lick. My favorite Wes Anderson is Moonrise Kingdom - it's not animated. Touching, stylistic, and tons of fun.
 
Ok, It's been a busy day today, I'm finally getting a chance to update about my Post-op appointment.

I am very thankful that I took morphine before going to the appointment! They were saying they could take out the staples while I stand up, but I nixed that and told them, "Only if you want to find me on the floor and have to pick me up." LOL! They got me up on the exam table and let me half sit/half recline. Good thing, because taking the bandage off was on the painful side and there were a few staples that I guess really dug in that were very painful when she was taking them out. I would have been on the floor. :swoon:

I don't think I ever posted here that I called myself a squid because of the leg cuffs and the cords/wires that hung down all the time...I felt like I looked like a squid. Anyway, when she took the cuffs off and took all the cords and everything, I almost shouted, "Yay!! I'm not a squid anymore!!" Dogdude started shaking his head :oyvey:....I think he might have been slightly embarrassed. :blush: It's ok though, that's what I'm there for...keep them grounded. :heehee:

I've decided only to take morphine in the morning, but I only have one left. So I will see how I do with just Tylenol. If I need more pain control, they said to go ahead and take the Percocet...I might be visiting the Party Girl when I have PT then, I guess.

I talked to them about my concern that I still can't put all my weight on the Op leg. She assured me that it is perfectly normal. She said give it a week or so and I might be able to get down to just one crutch. So, they weren't concerned about it at all. So that made me feel much better. We did a couple of errands while we were up there and then came home. It was nice to be out of the house for a little while.

After I got home, I got a call from PT Guy, asking if it was ok to come at a certain time. When he got to the house, I had a lot to talk to him about. I told him I didn't like the other lady that came because she kept trying to get me to do things I knew I wasn't ready for. We talked a lot about issues we had at the hospital and I told him what I wrote on the survey I got in the mail, and we discussed that. Because there are some issues that they have been pretty much trying to tell the hospitals/committees that they are finding need to be done, things that need to be improved, so he was glad to hear that a lot of what they have been saying was expressed in my comments on the survey. We also talked about my current abilities in walking. He was not expecting me to be down to 1 crutch, or to be using a cane yet. That was a relief. Because of the years of "coping" with the old hip, the muscles that were not being allowed to move for so long are very weak, and he said that before I can get to using a cane or one crutch, those muscles need to be strengthened. When he was having me do some side stepping, he said he could see that my legs were shaking after a bit, and he said that was all we were doing. I asked him about when I'm walking for a little bit of a distance why I start feeling shaky and kind of weak, even my arms begin to get shaky, I was concerned about that, wasn't sure if it was some other issue, or my sugar level, or what. But he said, "No, it's because your muscles are very weak." He even said that he thinks I may have to go to PT longer than the 4 weeks that were prescribed to get me using a cane, or walking without one. That was a little bit of bad news, but, we will just see how it goes. Before surgery, I was having to lift my left leg up to get into the car and put it in the car, because of the impingement of the bone spur, and that had been going on for a few years, so it makes sense that the muscle may have atrophied.

Oh, and I only have to wear compression socks on my Op leg now, for 2 weeks and then I'm done with them! I think that's it. I've got steri-strips on my incision now and I'll be allowed to shower tomorrow afternoon, although, Dogdude won't be there to help me, so I'll probably get one on Wednesday! Looking forward to it!
 
Last edited:
I hope they behave! My next door neighbor had chickens for a while, and every now and then they'd go walkabout and end up in our yard - which we didn't care, since it was a free chicken sighting - they're kind cute, aren't they? Only thing is, they can be mean as snot to each other back at the roost, especially the smaller birds. "Pecking order" and all that.

Isle of Dogs is worth it - but I'm really into animation so take my opinion with a salt lick. My favorite Wes Anderson is Moonrise Kingdom - it's not animated. Touching, stylistic, and tons of fun.
Chickens are cute! And they are hilarious! LOL! I agree that they can be mean, and you have to be careful introducing any "new" chickens. They can be quite destructive to your gardens, so right now, we don't have any plans to free range them. We have a couple of neighbors who aren't totally thrilled that we have chickens. LOL! They will get over it when they realize they won't be stinking up the neighborhood or causing more flies, and that the mosquito population will decrease. :yes:
 
Enjoying your posts! My daughter has 11 chickens and we get to take care of them (as well as her 2 dogs, saltwater fish, fresh water fish, 1cat, a bearded dragon lizard and a rescued flying squirrel!). The chickens definitely have individual personalities. Luckily when we watch the zoo, she pays in eggs!!

Happy to read how well you are doing. Tomorrow is my D day... keep me laughing!
 
Our neighbours loved it when we had chickens...free range eggs...amazing how often they visited.
 
Congrats on the post op visit. I've found having to use crutches over the years for different ailments and fractures it takes a lot out of you. I'd say I'm some what strong, but getting around on crutches is hard work, you will have a very strong hand shake after it all. Muscles quivering/shaking is just a sign of fatigue. You will notice with each day that will go, your ROM will improve, you'll get stronger. Correcting a muscle imbalance is something that takes time, but does come around.
I've been recommend to do Pilates over the years as it will help, but only done a few classes as my hip stopped me from getting into the positions. But on recovery I aim to look into that again.

Here in Ireland and UK seem to have a different approach to recovery. It's good to hear what other people are doing and how you are recovering. Something to base my recovery off.

Also on the showering wait until someone is there with you. For the first shower anyway. I have a wet room and a seat so it is safe for me and less chance of falling.
 
Wow...you sound like you're really doing well. Not long for me now!
 
Our neighbours loved it when we had chickens...free range eggs...amazing how often they visited.
We are not going to be able to free range our chickens, but they will be getting lots of "treats" so they have a good variety in their diet.

Congrats on the post op visit. I've found having to use crutches over the years for different ailments and fractures it takes a lot out of you. I'd say I'm some what strong, but getting around on crutches is hard work, you will have a very strong hand shake after it all. Muscles quivering/shaking is just a sign of fatigue. You will notice with each day that will go, your ROM will improve, you'll get stronger. Correcting a muscle imbalance is something that takes time, but does come around.
I've been recommend to do Pilates over the years as it will help, but only done a few classes as my hip stopped me from getting into the positions. But on recovery I aim to look into that again.

Here in Ireland and UK seem to have a different approach to recovery. It's good to hear what other people are doing and how you are recovering. Something to base my recovery off.

Also on the showering wait until someone is there with you. For the first shower anyway. I have a wet room and a seat so it is safe for me and less chance of falling.
It will definitely take some time to strengthen these muscles, that's for sure. Not looking forward to the hard work, but I know it's worth the effort. I don't plan to take a shower unless Dogdude is home to help me. First because the shower bench is in the basement...lol, and secondly because I don't feel steady enough to do it alone. So, no shower for me today, but I'll be able to get one tomorrow.

Wow...you sound like you're really doing well. Not long for me now!
Thank you! Sometimes I feel like I'm a little behind the norm, but they said I was on track, so that's reassuring. Wow! Tomorrow is your big day! Congratulations! Wishing you the best. Will check in on you. :flwrysmile:
 
I don’t think you are behind the norm some are in front of it and some go into hip replacement earlier than others. I went downstairs and did breakfast for myself for the first time today. Think of all the things you have been doing much earlier. Well done. Sure we’re both going to have to rebuild muscles. Maybe all we need is a can of Popeye’s spinach.:heehee:
 
@dogchick we all progress differently and give yourself kudos on what you are doing so far. Sometimes it's a few steps backwards in order to move a few forward. I know it's hard not to compare to others especially when looking at what others are doing. Yesterday for the first time I felt my old self again. Keep your awesome sense of humor and do what feels best. You will look.back all healed later and glad you did what you did at the pace that was best for you. Have an awesome day.
 
Thanks @Apricot It's true, we all have different circumstances. I don't have stairs in my home, pretty much everything is on one level, except for the laundry, and the house is quite small, so not a lot of walking needed to get around. LOL! I'm with you on the spinach. If that's all I had to do, I'd be happy, even though I hate canned spinach. LOL! :snork:
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom